Your Dream Retirement Boat

13»

Replies

• MenziesMenzies Posts: 19,289 Officer
    I can't qualify this as a retirement vessel since there is no sleeping quarters on her, and I assume that's what you're getting at when you put in the "retirement" part of it.

We're building a 2850 Bluewater which is 31' LOA. I'm planning on keeping this boat for a while and the size will be perfect for the fishing we do, the long runs we make to the far eastern Bahamas, and how we use, dive, and fish a boat in general. I can fish solo and manage the boat and a full trolling spread by myself without extra effort. Clean-up isn't going to be too bad as we're taking measures to keep the boat as maintainance free and easy to clean as possible.

I used to run large sportfishing boats for a living many moons ago, and I quickly realized how fast some boat owners get disengaged (and disinterested) from the action when their boat gets too big to use themselves comfortably. I actually downsized with one sportfish owner down to a large CC and the joy came right back to him since he was back to being involved with everything and in the action again. I think that gets lost on a lot of boat owners who are always of the mindset of "going bigger". Bigger is not always the answer; how you use your particular boat is. Just my .02

Not the intent. For some it will be the liveaboard trawler, for others a boat they can fish on by themselves every day if they want to. Your point regarding size is more important to me. In retirement I want to be able to run any boat I have by myself for as long as I can. I don't want any skipper doing it for me, not do I want to rely on the availability of others to get me on the water.
    Maybe if we tell people that the brain is an App, they will start using it.
  • Finger MulletFinger Mullet Posts: 3,852 Officer
    4128565_0_121120120553_83.jpg

Nice looking skiff, I can't tell who makes it? Nice lines, old school. Practical and classy.

Retirement boat would have to be a nice big, easy to sail cat. Lord knows what diesel is going to cost in 25 years. :grin

Catamaran%20LEVANTE.jpg
  • catfishincatfishin Posts: 976 Officer
    I'll be at the bar waiting for you guys.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Finger MulletFinger Mullet Posts: 3,852 Officer
    catfishin wrote: »
    I'll be at the bar waiting for you guys.

lol

Close hauled at 35 knts will be pleanty fast for me at 60 :grin
  • Ol MuckyOl Mucky Posts: 5,471 Admiral
    I'm a simple bloke.
    This is all I need.
    jupiter30.jpg
    And i'll keep it here at my retirement home
    summerland-1.jpg
    I have a much bigger and more powerful button
  • BnTBnT Posts: 6,644 Admiral
    Too much to fish skinny around here. Its too big to poll as well. Its not a technical boat. I want it for a beach boat.

It is a sweet looking boat, I was jw because by the looks of it it didnt look like it would go too skinny..
    Who makes it? As a beach boat that would be suhweeeet
    "Give a man a fish and feed him for a day... Don’t teach a man to fish…and feed yourself. He’s a grown man. And fishing’s not that hard"
    gandrfab wrote: »
    Sharky is always clocky, bnt is sometimes sharky,
    sharky is sometimes bnt, but bnt is never clocky
  • Gary S. ColecchioGary S. Colecchio Posts: 24,922 Officer
    They were built by Bayshore Boats. Thats their 20' Carolina Bay.
    "If I can't win, I won't play." - Doris Colecchio.

"Well Gary, the easiest way to look tall is to stand in a room full of short people." - Curtis Bostick

"All these forums, with barely any activity, are like a neglected old cemetery that no one visits anymore."- anonymouse
  • HomerSimpsonHomerSimpson Posts: 6,394 Admiral
    grandpa will be loading up the grandkids and hitting the rivers/bays

pontoon-boat-24ft-starcraft-saturn_5199754.jpg
  • SnookslangerSnookslanger Posts: 1,320 Officer
    475-sport-yacht-4846_1b.jpg
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSbaaKhJZWMOL6wbI1uz1gMkBQR94dtr2Dn__x8NwzcVDRiVW5Gb-cOL-oj
  • capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 9,049 Moderator
    Jimmy Johnson's new boat "3 rings" . That is if you like to fish/boat/retire in one area like the keys..

JimmyJohnsonboat_zps76d11bdd.jpg
    "You'll get your weather"
  • Next LevelNext Level Posts: 2,962 Officer
    capt louie wrote: »
    Jimmy Johnson's new boat "3 rings" . That is if you like to fish/boat/retire in one area like the keys..

JimmyJohnsonboat_zps76d11bdd.jpg
    Thats a pig of a boat from what I hear on this forum.:grin
  • FluffyFluffy Posts: 1,761 Officer
    4128565_0_121120120553_83.jpg

I swear I saw flip pulling that exact same boat last year, same color and everything...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Cut runnerCut runner Posts: 948 Officer
    Next Level wrote: »
    Thats a pig of a boat from what I hear on this forum.:grin

It actually is, and wet
  • Capt.AWCapt.AW Posts: 924 Officer
    I have never been one one of these, but something like a 38' out island would suit me just fine
    I FOUND IT!!

Now, there's two little issues.

How do I get it from Southern California.

And, oh yes, how do I pay for it!! :)

http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listing/boatMergedDetails.jsp?boat_id=2433679&ybw=&units=Feet&currency=USD&access=Public&listing_id=10104&url=
  • Grady-ladyGrady-lady Posts: 5,199 Admiral
    Menzies wrote: »
    What is it?

What boat would you want if you had enough money to buy it, run it, and keep it during your retirement and before you have to give up going out on the water? As well as having enough to live on during retirement.

For me, its the Nordhavn 43 Pilothouse.

174174944.jpg

^^
    THIS
    I like your thinking - but I would rather have a 15' on the hardtop for crossings.

^^
    THIS

I would love to be able to go sail. But not the best idea in retirement. Especially as a cruising couple growing old on the water together.

^^
    and THIS!!!

:thumbsup
    I find my peace out on the sand...Beside the sea, not beyond or behind. R.A. Britt

• rrbgttrrbgtt Posts: 6,753 Admiral
    I still want my retirement boat to fit on a trailer.
    From hell's heart I stab at thee; for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee. Ye damned bobcat!
    rrbgtt wrote: »
    I still want my retirement boat to fit on a trailer.

Just get a bigger trailer! :)
    Just get a bigger trailer! :)
    From hell's heart I stab at thee; for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee. Ye damned bobcat!
    I FOUND IT!!
    How do I get it from Southern California.

Drive it back through the Panama canal.That would be a interesting first cruise.:grin

There are several Nordhavens at Old Port Cove Marina in Palm Beach Gardens. I think they must have a dealer or service yard close by because there are at least 6 in various sizes at different times. They are nice boats, I just can't justify the 7-10 knot cruise. Ive come back from the Abacos on one engine and it wasn't any fun at all. We got drunk ,sobered up, and we could still the same Islands we saw 3 hours before.
    rrbgtt wrote:
    Man has to know his limitations.
  • Captain DaveCaptain Dave Posts: 3,372 Captain
    Ive come back from the Abacos on one engine and it wasn't any fun at all. We got drunk ,sobered up, and we could still the same Islands we saw 3 hours before.

:rotflmao We you doing that on one engine in reverse?
    72262-albums10528-picture94957.jpg

Your Southeast Florida Real Estate Resource !
    www.HomesOfTreasureCoast.com

Search for homes on any mobile device with my FREE MLS SEARCH App !
    http://app.kw.com/KW2GYNJDM
    Drive it back through the Panama canal.That would be a interesting first cruise.:grin

There are several Nordhavens at Old Port Cove Marina in Palm Beach Gardens. I think they must have a dealer or service yard close by because there are at least 6 in various sizes at different times. They are nice boats, I just can't justify the 7-10 knot cruise. Ive come back from the Abacos on one engine and it wasn't any fun at all. We got drunk ,sobered up, and we could still the same Islands we saw 3 hours before.

I told the missus about it last night and where it was, and that was her response. Can't we just bring it back outselves? Yeah, I said, a new to us single engine boat down through Mexico, Guatemala, El Salvador, Nicuragua, Costa Rica, Panama, the Canal and then across the Gulf, bypassing Cuba as we go.

She just shrugged!
  • Go MongoGo Mongo Posts: 2,105 Captain
    Seaward 46. Can be rigged with outriggers, fishbox, twin screws, etc...
    Basically a fisherman's sailboat, and shallow draft for the islands.
    “Every day is a new day. It is better to be lucky. But I would rather be exact. Then when luck comes you are ready.”
    ― Ernest Hemingway, The Old Man and the Sea
  • jimmy77jimmy77 Posts: 1,687 Officer
    I told the missus about it last night and where it was, and that was her response. Can't we just bring it back outselves? Yeah, I said, a new to us single engine boat down through Mexico, Guatemala, El Salvador, Nicuragua, Costa Rica, Panama, the Canal and then across the Gulf, bypassing Cuba as we go.

She just shrugged!

YOLO
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    jimmy77 wrote: »
    YOLO

Yeah, but I would like that YOLO to be as long as possible!!
    come on Menzies, let' do it. I'll fly out and ride shotgun.....
  • EastcoasttugEastcoasttug Posts: 231 Officer
    Done it about 25 times towing ships... Piece of cake, now.

I'd like a 31 Cape Horn with a big *** tower and twin 300 etecs.
  • dstockwelldstockwell Posts: 13,692 AG
    GlacierBay3480_idlingstbdquarter.jpg
    Middle East - Those who enjoy taking from the U.S. taxpayer while contributing nothing.

She just shrugged!

Nah, just get it from Cali to Golfito then throw her on Yachtpath or another transport. EZPZ!
13»

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file