Commission votes to build road for Bass Pro Shops

Replies

• JesseJamesJesseJames Posts: 2,408 Officer
    acesover wrote: »
    Explains a lot..
    As I said, it's what they and most other large stores do, I didn't say that EVERYONE starts at a great wage, because you have to start somewhere, but maybe they should hire people more knowledgeable about the products being sold.
    It's OK if you work for BPS, gotta work somewhere, and no, I don't know how the company works, just my expeience with it.

Let's play a game...Pretend you're the manager of the Fishing Dept. you have an opening and need to hire a full time associate. Tell me about the person you would hire and why???
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    copoutfishing.com
  • navigator2navigator2 Posts: 22,395 AG
    JesseJames wrote: »
    Let's play a game...Pretend you're the manager of the Fishing Dept. you have an opening and need to hire a full time associate. Tell me about the person you would hire and why???

Personally I would put an ad up in the Politics Section with "Help Wanted: Fishing Department Clerk". Liberals Only!! Experienced need not apply. We want to start someone from scratch.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    navigator2 wrote: »
    Personally I would put an ad up in the Politics Section with "Help Wanted: Fishing Department Clerk". Liberals Only!! Experienced need not apply. We want to start someone from scratch.

Ha!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    copoutfishing.com
  • Gary S. ColecchioGary S. Colecchio Posts: 24,922 Officer

Someone with a high school education, bad complexion and no idea what they were talking about for $8 an hour, because that is the typical Bass Pro employee you see on the floor?
    "If I can't win, I won't play." - Doris Colecchio.

"Well Gary, the easiest way to look tall is to stand in a room full of short people." - Curtis Bostick

"All these forums, with barely any activity, are like a neglected old cemetery that no one visits anymore."- anonymouse
    Someone with a high school education, bad complexion and no idea what they were talking about for $8 an hour, because that is the typical Bass Pro employee you see on the floor?

Hi Gary. I was wondering when you were going to show up to defend Mom & Pop from the Liquor Man from Missouri...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    copoutfishing.com
    Actually I was anticipating your particpation before I particpated. It was only a matter of time.

http://forums.floridasportsman.com/showthread.php?87334-Bass-Pro-Brandon&highlight=johnny+morris

"Well Gary, the easiest way to look tall is to stand in a room full of short people." - Curtis Bostick

"All these forums, with barely any activity, are like a neglected old cemetery that no one visits anymore."- anonymouse
  • EggsuckindogEggsuckindog Posts: 1,528 Officer
    You guys should just start getting together and boycott and protest against BPS so nobody else will go there and they will stop opening these stores you don't want to deal with - simple.

BTW the county has built quite a number of roads over the years some may even lead to your house - and for all you Liberials Johnny Morris didn't build BPS - it was that stinking Gov and Obama
    1976 SeaCraft master Angler - Merc 200 XRi
    dscf1243-1.jpg
    I think given the choice Hillsborough County's taxpayers would rather see the $8 million go to local businesses in re-development grants than investing in un-needed infrastructure to facilitate unnecessary urban sprawl to accommodate an out of state retailer which will supply a few low paying, no-benefits jobs to high school kids which will compete with them, creating a greater economic hardship.

But that's just me.

Actually I was anticipating your particpation before I particpated. It was only a matter of time.

http://forums.floridasportsman.com/showthread.php?87334-Bass-Pro-Brandon&highlight=johnny+morris

I thought we resolved that issue...:wink

Should we expect threads beyond Brandon? What about when we open the stores in Palm Bay, Jacksonville, Tallahassee, North Palm Beach and Port St. Lucie?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    copoutfishing.com
    I think given the choice Hillsborough County's taxpayers would rather see the $8 million go to local businesses in re-development grants than investing in un-needed infrastructure to facilitate unnecessary urban sprawl to accommodate an out of state retailer which will supply a few low paying, no-benefits jobs to high school kids which will compete with them, creating a greater economic hardship.

But that's just me.

Actually you need to be at least 18yrs old to work at BPS. Not many HIgh School students are employees. And benefits are available to all associates both full and part time.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    copoutfishing.com
    Very redeeming.

• keewestgrlkeewestgrl Posts: 192 Deckhand
    BPS put Worldwide Sportsman here in Islamorada....None of the mom & pop places have gone out of business...In fact, it makes it easier to shop for tackle and whatnot because all the can koozy buying tourists go to WW and the rest of us continue to support the local guys. Worldwide doesn't have better prices or better inventory...In fact, they got 3 ice augers in stock over Christmas down here. That's called the big giant corporate machine. It's still a nice store with nice employees, pretty fish in the tank and a decent Grouper sandwich upstairs. I call no harm no foul on having them here. They are also a pretty generous community partner which helps with fundraising and charity stuff. If our tiny little economy can deal with it, then I suspect the bigger cities will be okay.
    keewestgrl wrote: »
    BPS put Worldwide Sportsman here in Islamorada....None of the mom & pop places have gone out of business...In fact, it makes it easier to shop for tackle and whatnot because all the can koozy buying tourists go to WW and the rest of us continue to support the local guys. Worldwide doesn't have better prices or better inventory...In fact, they got 3 ice augers in stock over Christmas down here. That's called the big giant corporate machine. It's still a nice store with nice employees, pretty fish in the tank and a decent Grouper sandwich upstairs. I call no harm no foul on having them here. They are also a pretty generous community partner which helps with fundraising and charity stuff. If our tiny little economy can deal with it, then I suspect the bigger cities will be okay.

That's pretty amusing. Corporate buying/distributing. When Gander opened here, they were overstocked on goose blinds and T shot. :grin
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • CyclistCyclist Posts: 22,199 AG
    I have been to BPS and Gander Mnt. and it was hard to buy anything from them. They sucked.
    133cbf2b243368b1ddb2f591a1988076--beach-posters-florida-travel.jpg
    Very redeeming.

Don't go away mad...

Just trying to clear up the fabrications posted by the misinformed...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    copoutfishing.com

Where did Monroe County get $8 million to spend on roadway improvments to attract them? Was there a bond or sales tax increase?

• pottydocpottydoc Posts: 1,913 Captain
    WWS was there a long time before Johnny Morris bought them and the property and built the new building that stands there now.
    Don't go away mad...

Just trying to clear up the fabrications posted by the misinformed...

:grin Oh I'm not going anywhere.

Just what kind of benefits do you offer the part time high school kids who work there?

• flhookerflhooker Posts: 300 Officer
    Like using them as a reference when I shop Ebay and other online venues. Just have the stuff shipped to the house at a great price and save gas on top of it! Maybe for you bait fishermen the ma&pop places would be the best other then that, I welcome the 21st Century and no more retail for me!!!

Calusa wrote: »
    I don't know. Bass Pro Shops has it all, but this store is gonna kill a bunch of mom & pop stores in the area. It's Wal-Mart of sporting goods isn't it? And they are gonna get a nice tax break from the county for moving in.

What's your opinion these big chains coming into town?

HILLSBOROUGH COUNTY --
    Hillsborough County will soon have its own Bass Pro Shops.

After much debate in the past with lawmakers and in the business community, county commissioners today voted 6-1 to pay $6 million for road improvements to front a Brandon complex that will be anchored by the outdoor-store chain.

The road construction would extend Palm River Road and ultimately widen Falkenburg Road near the proposed retail complex to handle traffic. The complex could include a 150,000-square foot Bass Pro Shops store and other stores.

The ongoing process of the store becoming a reality in Hillsborough County has rubbed some the wrong way.

Past stories on Bass Pro Shops coming to Hillsborough County

Some small business owners have said the megastore shouldn't benefit from any taxpayer dollars. Others say the store will only create low-wage jobs and drive locals out of business.

The Bass Pro store has been rumored to be scouting the Tampa Bay region for years. Early last year, county officials confirmed they were considering a $15 million incentive package to lure Bass Pro to Hillsborough, with much of the money going to the giant retailer.

However, smaller retailers complained and the deal was shelved.

Bass Pro Shops is a superstore that sells fishing equipment, along with hunting and camping gear and outdoors supplies.
    :grin Oh I'm not going anywhere.

Just what kind of benefits do you offer the part time high school kids who work there?

I'd be disappointed in you if you did.

There are medical, dental and life insurance plans available to all BPS employees...And again, just to reiterate, gotta be 18 so not too many HS students are employed.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    copoutfishing.com
  • RedBaronRedBaron Posts: 6,781 Officer
    Where did Monroe County get $8 million to spend on roadway improvments to attract them? Was there a bond or sales tax increase?

I am willing to bet the $8M was not a cash outflow from the county. It is usually done as a reduction of future property taxes.
    Come to Forced Sex University where you can **** women for free!!!
  • CyclistCyclist Posts: 22,199 AG
    Soon as they have to pay taxes they will move to another community that will give them a tax break.
    133cbf2b243368b1ddb2f591a1988076--beach-posters-florida-travel.jpg
    Cyclist wrote: »
    Soon as they have to pay taxes they will move to another community that will give them a tax break.

Bull****.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    copoutfishing.com
  • drkpttdrkptt Posts: 1,927 Captain
    jsrodguy1 wrote: »
    I'm sure there's more but the closest one's I can think of are T A Mahoney's and Southshore and I doubt Bass Pro will effect either one of those. ...

Tom disagrees.

Several business owners who have dogged the proposal for months left the meeting dejected and frustrated, feeling their concerns were disregarded. They have repeatedly questioned how their County Commission can even consider spending tax dollars on a project that will benefit an out-of-state megachain that will compete against them for customers.

"The bottom line is the guy with the biggest pocketbook won today," said Tom Mahoney, owner of marine supply company T.A. Mahoney, which has operated in Hillsborough County for three generations.
    Silly Bull****
  • keewestgrlkeewestgrl Posts: 192 Deckhand
    pottydoc wrote: »
    WWS was there a long time before Johnny Morris bought them and the property and built the new building that stands there now.

What was there didn't even remotely resemble what's there now.
    Cyclist wrote: »

I don't think that's happened in either Ft Lauderdale or Orlando has it? I really don't have a beef with BPS, I just happen to think their chinese products are inferior to Cabela's chinese imports. :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I'm curious.....what is an out of state retail merchant? They will pay FL income taxes and FL sales & Use taxes & FL Unemployment taxes.
    I'd be disappointed in you if you did.

There are medical, dental and life insurance plans available to all BPS employees...And again, just to reiterate, gotta be 18 so not too many HS students are employed.

One is all it takes. :wink And how would you know how many?

What are the insurance benefits? What are the coverages? What are the limits? What are the deductibles?

What are the paid holiday and vacation benefits? What about continuing education and training? Stock? 401K?

Its another big box filled with Chinese knockoffs, that a local government funded.

I know of a few roads which support established business in much greater need of improvement. If I owned one of them, Id be upset.

navigator2 wrote: »
    I don't think that's happened in either Ft Lauderdale or Orlando has it? I really don't have a beef with BPS, I just happen to think their chinese products are inferior to Cabela's chinese imports. :)

It has never happened. I love it when people compare BPS to Wally World. Anyone know how many BPS stores there currently are, without peeking.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    copoutfishing.com

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file