Language Protien - Why Women Talk More Than Men

DemereDemere Posts: 1,464 Officer
No kidding. The folks at Science World Report published an article explaining that women speak about 3 times as many words per day than men (20k vs 7k) due to a higher level of a "language protein". Nurture vs nature takes another blow. Biological imperative/adaptive significance?

Replies

• Mango ManMango Man Posts: 10,987 AG
    Fisherman.gif

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
    Abraham Lincoln
  • CalusaCalusa Posts: 11,881 Officer
    Oh, I can't wait for Scrubs' response to this.
    FS Forum member since January 4, 2003
    Member #12478
    Not a Jew
  • gandrfabgandrfab Posts: 19,975 AG
    Some might need this option.
    :BUNNY gestapo

• badbullgatorbadbullgator Posts: 1,568 Officer
    Protein, not protien. I before e is not the case here. Spell check should know that even if you don't.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government"

-- Thomas Jefferson, 1 Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334
  • gandrfabgandrfab Posts: 19,975 AG
    I buck this spell check very very very often.:cry
    :BUNNY gestapo

• copout@castawayscopout@castaways Posts: 5,779 Officer
    My wife & daughter have rollover words similar to some cellular plans.....:blahblah
  • Gary S. ColecchioGary S. Colecchio Posts: 24,922 Officer
    Demere wrote: »
    No kidding. The folks at Science World Report published an article explaining that women speak about 3 times as many words per day than men (20k vs 7k) due to a higher level of a "language protein". Nurture vs nature takes another blow. Biological imperative/adaptive significance?

Its because we can only bear to listen to a third of what they say. It's like fish bearing millions of fry to ensure one or two survive .
    "If I can't win, I won't play." - Doris Colecchio.

"Well Gary, the easiest way to look tall is to stand in a room full of short people." - Curtis Bostick

"All these forums, with barely any activity, are like a neglected old cemetery that no one visits anymore."- anonymouse
  • DemereDemere Posts: 1,464 Officer
    Protein, not protien. I before e is not the case here. Spell check should know that even if you don't.
    I got it wrong in the title and right in the body of my comment. My cup is half full.
  • cprcpr Posts: 9,170 Admiral
    Its because we can only bear to listen to a third of what they say. It's like fish bearing millions of fry to ensure one or two survive .

Dat tru
    "The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function." F. Scott Fitzgerald

"Prediction is very difficult, especially if it's about the future." Niels Bohr
  • GJBenn85GJBenn85 Posts: 1,364 Officer
    I have a hard time buying that the average male even speaks 7k words per day...
  • DemereDemere Posts: 1,464 Officer
    GJBenn85 wrote: »
    Yep
  • cprcpr Posts: 9,170 Admiral
    GJBenn85 wrote: »

Have to talk at work.
    "The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function." F. Scott Fitzgerald

"Prediction is very difficult, especially if it's about the future." Niels Bohr

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file