Using long leaders (how to reel them?)

I read about 10' leaders a lot... How do you all deal with that if you have to use a swivel?
2005 Sea Fox w/ Merc 150 2 stroke (adding here since I always forget in my "how do I fix this" posts) :fishing

Replies

• Dream RealityDream Reality Posts: 889 Officer
    From what I've read and seen in the videos many post in this forum as reports, the leaders are hand lined in. Be carful not to wrap the line around your and with heavier fish on the end..... Talking about a ad day. And wear gloves while doing it.
    With a crew of 4:

1-driver
    2-rod holder
    3- handliner
    4 gaffer/net

Autopilot can free up spot 1. And hand liner can gaff and net. Solo trips get interesting but are doable. Place rod in rod holder to hand line leader, then gaff/net your prize.

Take my tip with a grain of salt, as it was all from observing this site. Thank you FS!
  • taymagtaymag Posts: 658 Officer
    From what I've read and seen in the videos many post in this forum as reports, the leaders are hand lined in. Be carful not to wrap the line around your and with heavier fish on the end..... Talking about a ad day. And wear gloves while doing it.
    With a crew of 4:

1-driver
    2-rod holder
    3- handliner
    4 gaffer/net

Autopilot can free up spot 1. And hand liner can gaff and net. Solo trips get interesting but are doable. Place rod in rod holder to hand line leader, then gaff/net your prize.

Take my tip with a grain of salt, as it was all from observing this site. Thank you FS!

Forgot to mention im on a kayak :)
    2005 Sea Fox w/ Merc 150 2 stroke (adding here since I always forget in my "how do I fix this" posts) :fishing
  • Fi$h2nguyenFi$h2nguyen Posts: 7,779 Moderator
    Place rod in rodholder and handline. 10' isn't bad, 20'+ is...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Keeping busy while away from Florida

https://www.youtube.com/user/UFpwrLifter/videos?view_as=public
  • brianbbrianb Posts: 2,243 Captain
    Usually with only a 10' leader you are talking about a bottom fish; snapper, etc. Should be able to pull it in ez.
  • reel stamasreel stamas Posts: 6,151 Admiral
    Uni-Uni or Hollow-core splice will eliminate the swivel...
    There should be NO Commercial Fishing for any fish species considered 'Over-fished' / 'Undergoing Overfishing' or Subject to Recreational Seasons or Limits :banghead
    Uni-Uni is hard enough to tie with a clean cut at home hah let alone on a kayak with wet line. Does anyone spool like 50' of mono on the end of their braid and just cut away as you go? I can see this working for jigging purposes considering the jigs are weighted but what about if switching over to trolling where I need to weight things down a little?
  • King_MeKing_Me Posts: 5,131 Admiral
    Nice video. I think I could pull that off on the kayak pretty easy im going to give that a shot.

What do you do if you need a little weight though?
  • reel stamasreel stamas Posts: 6,151 Admiral
    I can tie a Uni-Uni in my sleep, so didn't realize that was an issue... & Re- adding 50+' of mono ? that undermines the purpose of using braid for Jigging doesn't it ?
    There should be NO Commercial Fishing for any fish species considered 'Over-fished' / 'Undergoing Overfishing' or Subject to Recreational Seasons or Limits :banghead
    I can tie a Uni-Uni in my sleep, so didn't realize that was an issue... & Re- adding 50+' of mono ? that undermines the purpose of using braid for Jigging doesn't it ?

I guess that answers my question. And maybe I am not using enough slack for the uni. Cant seem to do it in my sleep yet... I think I do too many turns to be safe and it gets out of control.

The main question of this thread was wondering about using weights though (swivels actually... but the weight is above the swivel). Like when trolling pilchards dont you all use a weight? Without one they wouldn't leave the surface. Is my only option going to be hand lining it if using a weight?
  • LastMangoLastMango Posts: 4,574 Officer
    A few general comments...

#1 - Hats off to you kayakers.... I've seen you out there, as in OUT THERE pretty far... I've seen your videos pulling up, or in some impressive fish...
    #2 - I almost always top off my braid with 50ft of Ande Pink Mono, (even when I'm jigging in the Bahamas) then my leader, with a swivel if I'm using a weight (egg sinker above the swivel) and then my leader, or a uni-knot connecting the Ande Pink to my Fluorocarbon leader.
    #3 - I don't consider 10ft a long leader, depending upon what I'm targeting, I use 20, 30, even 50-60ft leaders... They can be a pain on some days, and work like magic on others, lots of variables impact this.
    #4 - For leaders over 7ft of rod length, with a weight attached, I believe your only option is handing it in... As Dream Reality said, don't wrap your hands, and being that you're sitting in a kayak, don't let it wrap other things as you pull it in... LOL. I have pulled in some BIG MUTTONS, only to have a shark rip it right out of my hand, and had I wrapped it, it would have been quite ugly...

Long leaders are great stealthy ways of catching bigger fish, but are also a lot of work at times... You might want to try a compromise approach and use a Carolina style rig (egg sinker above the swivel, then leader and hook) and try a 15ft leader, then, it's only about 4-5 pulls and the fish is at your kayak...

Another option to consider is a chicken rig, with 2 sets of doulbe 4/0 or 5/0 hooks, with a 5-6oz bank sinker at the bottom... But I suspect the challenge there is that's a lot of hooks slinging around your kayak...

Good luck and post an update...
    attachment.php?attachmentid=131572&d=1399127702
    LastMango wrote: »
    A few general comments...

#1 - Hats off to you kayakers.... I've seen you out there, as in OUT THERE pretty far... I've seen your videos pulling up, or in some impressive fish...
    #2 - I almost always top off my braid with 50ft of Ande Pink Mono, (even when I'm jigging in the Bahamas) then my leader, with a swivel if I'm using a weight (egg sinker above the swivel) and then my leader, or a uni-knot connecting the Ande Pink to my Fluorocarbon leader.
    #3 - I don't consider 10ft a long leader, depending upon what I'm targeting, I use 20, 30, even 50-60ft leaders... They can be a pain on some days, and work like magic on others, lots of variables impact this.
    #4 - For leaders over 7ft of rod length, with a weight attached, I believe your only option is handing it in... As Dream Reality said, don't wrap your hands, and being that you're sitting in a kayak, don't let it wrap other things as you pull it in... LOL. I have pulled in some BIG MUTTONS, only to have a shark rip it right out of my hand, and had I wrapped it, it would have been quite ugly...

Long leaders are great stealthy ways of catching bigger fish, but are also a lot of work at times... You might want to try a compromise approach and use a Carolina style rig (egg sinker above the swivel, then leader and hook) and try a 15ft leader, then, it's only about 4-5 pulls and the fish is at your kayak...

Another option to consider is a chicken rig, with 2 sets of doulbe 4/0 or 5/0 hooks, with a 5-6oz bank sinker at the bottom... But I suspect the challenge there is that's a lot of hooks slinging around your kayak...

Good luck and post an update...

Thanks buddy! Time to do some pulling!
    Just remembered.... You could go with a knocker rig, with an egg sinker right on the leader, that might solve all your problems for kayak fishing... But, I've never used that style, but some people are quit fond of it...
    LastMango wrote: »
    Just remembered.... You could go with a knocker rig, with an egg sinker right on the leader, that might solve all your problems for kayak fishing... But, I've never used that style, but some people are quit fond of it...

*quite fond of it...
  • flatsfisherflatsfisher Posts: 1,381 Officer
    taymag wrote: »
    Uni-Uni is hard enough to tie with a clean cut at home hah let alone on a kayak with wet line. Does anyone spool like 50' of mono on the end of their braid and just cut away as you go? I can see this working for jigging purposes considering the jigs are weighted but what about if switching over to trolling where I need to weight things down a little?

that is exactly what a lot of people do and it is simple, but for different things you may want different leaders, give me specifics
    taymag wrote: »

What do you do if you need a little weight though?

Make a loop in the line where you want the sinker to be and insert the loop into the hole of the sinker along with a rubber band wrapped around the loop. Yeah, you will lose the sinker when you get tight on the line but its one way to do it.
    King_Me wrote: »
    Make a loop in the line where you want the sinker to be and insert the loop into the hole of the sinker along with a rubber band wrapped around the loop. Yeah, you will lose the sinker when you get tight on the line but its one way to do it.

Not a bad idea im going to give it a shot
  • Stetson LawStetson Law Posts: 484 Deckhand
    Bimini to a Yucatan

Cool, easy to do. But help me understand when this would be used over a uni to uni (what I use now for basically everything and hasn't failed me yet). Is this spider to bristol stronger because you have the double line? With this knot in the video, there will be two separate knots passing through your guides, potentially reducing casting distance whereas uni to uni only has one combined knot. Just trying to get an idea when I may want to use this new knot.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Cool, easy to do. But help me understand when this would be used over a uni to uni (what I use now for basically everything and hasn't failed me yet). Is this spider to bristol stronger because you have the double line? With this knot in the video, there will be two separate knots passing through your guides, potentially reducing casting distance whereas uni to uni only has one combined knot. Just trying to get an idea when I may want to use this new knot.

The double line is used to increase knot strength and serve as a stronger leader. I only use it for lines 12 lbs or greater otherwise I use the uni to uni.

You can use the Bimini twist knot too for the double line but what a pain to tie!!!

The knots aren't really that bad going through the guides unless your using rods with small guides.
    The double line is used to increase knot strength and serve as a stronger leader. I only use it for lines 12 lbs or greater otherwise I use the uni to uni.

You can use the Bimini twist knot too for the double line but what a pain to tie!!!

The knots aren't really that bad going through the guides unless your using rods with small guides.

Thanks.

Bimini's are painful on a rocking boat, but that spider hitch for double line was pretty easy.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• HogTideHogTide Posts: 177 Officer
    If you're just talking about paddle trolling then use a rubberband or a small peice of rigging copper wire and attach it to your knot.
    Juzt wrap the wire a few times around the leader once you attach the weight.
    Once you get a decent hit the weight should break away.
    ______________________________________________________________________________________
    When I'm not Fishing...I'm Catching:USA

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file