Shrimp Reports Winter '12-'13

Replies

• jjimenez1jjimenez1 Posts: 129 Officer
    So hopefully this weekend's front will do the trick?
  • searenitysearenity Posts: 117 Officer
    At the rate the shrimp are starting to run, we will have to import are shrimp from China.
  • Blue197320Blue197320 Posts: 46 Deckhand
    I hope this front will help. Does anyone plan on going out?
  • nickv6909nickv6909 Posts: 210 Officer
    cs1650 wrote: »
    Go by Crook & Crook in Coconut Grove. They have a bunch of different types of shrimp nets. I bought one today from Crook and Crook. Manny with C&C explained the different nets to me.

Manny from C&C knows his stuff
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Reel TeaseReel Tease Posts: 610 Officer
    I might be out there Friday night. But might be caught up with stuff at home let's see.
  • Lostmen DanLostmen Dan Posts: 70 Deckhand
    Barely walking last night. Worked Watson Island, Bear Cut, Rickenbaker and nada. Anyone stay for the outgoing?
    29 years old, fishing Flamingo for 30 years.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Were you trying on the incoming tide? Low tide going high? Im trying to better understand this whole shrimping thing.
  • buckeyediverbuckeyediver Posts: 5 Greenhorn
    2/1-2/2 10pm to 6am, Bear Cut, Rickenbacker, Venetian. Very very few at Bear cut. Was there for last hour of high tide and then about 2 hours of outgoing. Went and checked out Rickenbacker and Venetian, but none in sight. Got about two dozen medium using dip nets and hydraglow.
  • posbornposborn Posts: 3 Greenhorn
    2/1-2/2 10pm to 6am, Bear Cut, Rickenbacker, Venetian. Very very few at Bear cut. Was there for last hour of high tide and then about 2 hours of outgoing. Went and checked out Rickenbacker and Venetian, but none in sight. Got about two dozen medium using dip nets and hydraglow.

I went out last night and tried my hand at it. I went to Crook and Crook and picked up a couple dip nets (the guys there are awesome - very knowledgeable). The tide change was at 6:45 so we anchored up in bear cut just at that time and at around 7 the run started was pretty thick. Since this was our first time it took a few tries to get the hang of it but after the first few passes we were bringing in 2-3 with each dip and even had a couple dips with 5-6 in them. The run died real hard right around 8-8:15 but we stuck around for another hour or so and pulled in another 15-20. Overall probably pulled in around 100 shrimp so it was a great first time for us.
    Thats a pretty good night i think. I plan on going to crook today for a replacement net.
    posborn wrote: »
    I went out last night and tried my hand at it. I went to Crook and Crook and picked up a couple dip nets (the guys there are awesome - very knowledgeable). The tide change was at 6:45 so we anchored up in bear cut just at that time and at around 7 the run started was pretty thick.

So is the incoming tide when the run is best? I am new to the area.
  • posbornposborn Posts: 3 Greenhorn
    So is the incoming tide when the run is best? I am new to the area.

I was getting them on the outgoing tide. I cant say for certain that's the way to do it since this was my first time but it seemed to work. All I know is that the run was hard for about an hour and then very sporadic after that.

When I was at Crook and Crook they had just received a shipment of nets so they're definitely in stock.
    what does everyone think about tomorrow night for shrimping? not going to be alot of moon...
  • Tarponator73Tarponator73 Posts: 31 Deckhand
    I went lastnight just cuase the tide was early and i wanted to check things out with no moon. 7 shrimp, mediums. in 4 hours. couple of drinks later and i cashed in the shrimp for 2 tarpons. back in early. hey, anyone else seen the intercontinental hotels new light display? pretty cool. The whole buildings face that u see from the water is like a screen but with light bars on every room. Scrolling Welcome to Miami, and ofcourse, what was really cool was while i was on with a tarpon the building is in the background and it now had a shadow of a hot girl dancing very nicely. Get out there and check it out. No shrimp yet. Not one commercial guy outhere. I was all alone. before and after this full moon coming they will run. Im sure of it. Well i really hope so.
  • hookinsnookhookinsnook Posts: 39 Deckhand
    I went lastnight just cuase the tide was early and i wanted to check things out with no moon. 7 shrimp, mediums. in 4 hours. couple of drinks later and i cashed in the shrimp for 2 tarpons. back in early. hey, anyone else seen the intercontinental hotels new light display? pretty cool. The whole buildings face that u see from the water is like a screen but with light bars on every room. Scrolling Welcome to Miami, and ofcourse, what was really cool was while i was on with a tarpon the building is in the background and it now had a shadow of a hot girl dancing very nicely. Get out there and check it out. No shrimp yet. Not one commercial guy outhere. I was all alone. before and after this full moon coming they will run. Im sure of it. Well i really hope so.

image.jpg
    Yeah that's pretty cool!
  • Plastered2850Plastered2850 Posts: 1,225 Officer
    I see why no one is getting shrimp everyone
    is watching the building.
  • Tarponator73Tarponator73 Posts: 31 Deckhand
    thats it!!! good one frank. did you catch anything?
    I Didn't hear They were running good out there Jose so I didn't go. Probably go scouting around one of these nights see if There's anything though.. Itooooo!
  • Southern StyleSouthern Style Posts: 29 Greenhorn
    Been following the thread trying to pick up some basics. I'm hoping to bring my 5yo son down to try a little shrimping. He really enjoys catching critters with a dip net around the sandbars, so I think he would really enjoy this. What ramps are recommended (safe for truck and family at night) and where would be a good place to start looking for shrimp? Not looking for anyone's "honey holes" just want him to be entertained and make some good memories.
    Thanks
  • ChuddybuckrivetChuddybuckrivet Posts: 3,156 Officer
    Been following the thread trying to pick up some basics. I'm hoping to bring my 5yo son down to try a little shrimping. He really enjoys catching critters with a dip net around the sandbars, so I think he would really enjoy this. What ramps are recommended (safe for truck and family at night) and where would be a good place to start looking for shrimp? Not looking for anyone's "honey holes" just want him to be entertained and make some good memories.
    Thanks

I've havent had any trouble parking and launching at the ramps next to Dinner Key Marina in Miami. Once you're out in the bay head north and work the bridges. Rickenbacker Causeway, MacArthur etc.
    If the shrimp are running you'll see plenty of people out getting after them and you should be able to pick up on the techniques and process. Good luck!
    I've havent had any trouble parking and launching at the ramps next to Dinner Key Marina in Miami.

I park there also. Don't forget to pay-by-phone ($10.35) to park, they do enforce it. Ditto on the bridges to the north.
    anybody going this weekend when its going to be in the 40's?
    I'm goin!
  • ChuddybuckrivetChuddybuckrivet Posts: 3,156 Officer
    I park there also. Don't forget to pay-by-phone ($10.35) to park, they do enforce it. Ditto on the bridges to the north.

I was there a few weeks ago and spent 5-10 minutes walking around looking for the meter. Finally gave up and rolled the dice on getting a ticket.
    It was Sunday night and I got lucky I guess. Can you tell me more about the pay by phone? Is there a sign with a phone #? i might of walked right by it considering I was looking for the meters that used to be there.
    Looks like high tide is at 2am. So can you go on low tide and net them on incoming?
  • copout@castawayscopout@castaways Posts: 5,779 Officer
    Blue197320 wrote: »
    Looks like high tide is at 2am. So can you go on low tide and net them on incoming?

Incoming is not nearly as productive as outgoing. It's a waste of your time IMHO.
  • copout@castawayscopout@castaways Posts: 5,779 Officer
    Sat night high is at 1:20, you should be on the water by midnight & set up by one. Shrimp till they shut down, catch some zzz's & then fish offshore for a few hours at sunrise.
  • Sunny@hi-CHEWSunny@hi-CHEW Posts: 113 Officer
    I've heard that shrimping is best before a full moon. Is this true or should I go on the full moon?
  • Ilive2fishIlive2fish Posts: 241 Deckhand
    I went in Key Largo on the last full moon (Jan 26th) and we caught 4 shrimp total.....the week after, they ran like crazy down here. Of course, I couldn't go that weekend....
  • bite my baitbite my bait Posts: 459 Deckhand
    Shrimp were on fire tonight!!!!just got home its 4:00am now,but I got to my spot in key biscayne at 1:45 and got my limit if shrimp before 3:00 am,I think that's pretty good considering that I was cast netting them off a bridge,nice size shrimp too,mostly 4-6 inches with some jumbos and and of course your bite size 2-3 inchers!!!they were still plentiful when I left but slowing down

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file