What Do You Feed Fido...

haydenfox!#$haydenfox!#$ Posts: 2,332 Captain
What type of dog food are you using? Anyone use a raw diet?

I got a bulldog puppy recently and I nver knew some of this stuff existed...

Replies

• JboatJboat Posts: 1,337 Officer
    Dog food

Jason
  • rysherrysher Posts: 353 Deckhand
    raw diet here.
  • GrizGriz Palm Beach Gardens, FloridaPosts: 9,638 Admin
    Canidae. Very happy with the results. Johnny Bandit does raw as well.
    The early bird may get the worm, but the Second Mouse gets the cheese. SW

:Griz
  • reel stamasreel stamas Posts: 6,151 Admiral
    Purina Dog Chow is all I've ever fed my dogs for decades & all have lived full/healthy/long lives...
    There should be NO Commercial Fishing for any fish species considered 'Over-fished' / 'Undergoing Overfishing' or Subject to Recreational Seasons or Limits :banghead
    if you'll be looking at raw diet, we have a florida co-op, we get the meat for cheap compared to getting it from the pet stores.
    here's the link http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/CentralFLRawFoodCo-op
    a green tripe that you would normally pay $4 a can or $4 a pound is $1.60 / pound in the co-op.

here's the full price list
    http://tarrahlabs.com/tt/order.html

you wont be driving to orlando as there are plenty of raw feeders in tampa and they have a car that picks up the order in orlando then they meet in tampa and divide the order in tampa, jsut need to give a driver a couple $ for the gas and time.
  • rrbgttrrbgtt Posts: 6,753 Admiral
    Whatever is on sale at the feed store.
    From hell's heart I stab at thee; for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee. Ye damned bobcat!
  • snookerf150snookerf150 Posts: 298 Officer
    Taste of the wild with lamb. Around $60 a month for my 65lb black lab.
  • jakedgejakedge Posts: 1,302 Officer
    Another Canidae fan here.
  • FlashFlash Posts: 11,007 AG
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Never seem more learned than the people you are with. Wear your learning like a pocket watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked. --- Lord Chesterfield
  • iwant2fishiwant2fish Posts: 25 Greenhorn
    raw diet
  • Tarpon65Tarpon65 Posts: 6,100 Admiral
    California Natural Venison. Switched our English bulldog to this from Taste of the Wild Pacific Stream after he had bladder stone surgery and we had to start controlling his urine PH. I like TOTW, but guess they don't offer a Venison.
    Always Do Sober What You Said You'd Do Drunk. That Will Teach You To Keep Your Mouth Shut. - Ernest Hemingway
  • JohnnyBanditJohnnyBandit Posts: 8,129 Admiral
    rrbgtt wrote: »
    Whatever is on sale at the feed store.

Bought a race car and run kerosine in it.....
    I feed raw... And I am not saying it is for everyone...

My concern with a Bulldog, if is is the Bulldog commonly known as the English Bulldog, is the short throat when it comes to raw..
  • GT FishGT Fish Posts: 9,448 Officer
    Rachel Ray stuff..The dogs have all lost weight on it..
    mousey.gif
    61903c544aca27b57fb2aa29e6bc4a3b.gif
    gnat.gifWzz6I.gif
  • fins4mefins4me Posts: 13,659 AG
    Nutro Lamb Meal & Rice and Pedigree.
    ALLISON XB 21,, MERCURY 300 Opti Max Pro Series (Slightly Modified) You can't catch me!!!
    "Today is MINE"
  • BibBib Posts: 2,335 Captain
    Recently switched from Blue Buffalo Wilderess to Orijen Adult Dog
  • haydenfox!#$haydenfox!#$ Posts: 2,332 Captain
    Bought a race car and run kerosine in it.....

He's an english bulldog. I've always fed my dogs Pedigree but I dont want to go that route with him. Not because he's any better, I've been reading some bad things about their allergies and digestive issues though. I have two pits and the wife has a cattle mutt (yes were segregated, lol) and they do fine on the box store stuff, but...
  • PhishingPhanaticPhishingPhanatic Posts: 449 Officer
    Purina One. Not the best I know, but we have been feeding it to our mutt for 8 years with no issues, and she is as healthy as can be for a large 11 year old dog.
  • cats
    THERE SHOULD BE NO COMMERCIAL FISHING ALLOWED FOR ANY SPECIES THAT IS CONSIDERED OVERFISHED.
    Anyone use Fromm? Johnny Bandit, what do you know about it?
    Anyone use Fromm? Johnny Bandit, what do you know about it?

I like Fromm. It is a good quality food. I think some of the formulas have a lot of "exotic" ingredients thought. Cranberries, blueberries. etc. No harm, just drives up the price.
    And something to remember for those that are purchasing less expensive dog foods.

It is not about how many pounds of food you can buy per dollar. It is about how many calories you can buy per dollar. Or more correctly.... How many USABLE calories you can buy per dollar. Yea that high end food may cost twice as much for a 30 pound bag as a 50 pound bag of a bargain brand. But that high end food will not have any by products, corn wheat, soy, beet pulp, or other assorted grains and fillers. And pound per pound, the high end food will have any where from three to four times the number of usable calories per cup. So for every cup of the premium food you feed, you will have to feed three to four cups of the run of the mill brand. And your dog is not getting any crap in its system. Example if your dog eats say, three measuring cups of food from a grocery store or feed store brand per day, it will only eat 3/4 to one cup of the premium food. At the end of the month you will have spent less on food.
    Then there are other advantages. Your dog's body becomes leaner, better muscle tone, BETTER coat, less itching scratching, WILL smell better, shed less, not be gassy, its poop will not smell as bad, etc. And all those fillers can put stress on the kidneys, pancreas, etc.

Plus you get less spikes in energy...
  • reel stamasreel stamas Posts: 6,151 Admiral
    Purina One. Not the best I know, but we have been feeding it to our mutt for 8 years with no issues, and she is as healthy as can be for a large 11 year old dog.

Is 'Purina One' really any better than good old 'Purina Dog Chow' ? (that made them famous & probably fed more dogs for more years than all others combined)
    There should be NO Commercial Fishing for any fish species considered 'Over-fished' / 'Undergoing Overfishing' or Subject to Recreational Seasons or Limits :banghead
  • Skunk ApeSkunk Ape Posts: 3,846 Captain
    Been feeding mine dog chow for the last 15 years,during hunting I switch them to a higher protein feed. They all do just fine.
  • rodzrodz Posts: 659 Officer
    Our breeder requested Royal Canin only. I have been using it over the years with good results.

Sire and kennel below. There farm backed up the the ESPN Field Trials Farm. Good bunch of knowledgable folks.

http://www.kerrybrook.com/pictures/pete_pics.shtml
    I bought a small bag of Royal Canin. After all the research I've done, Im not sure of it's benefits per dollar except that its fortified. Still better than the run of the mill stuff. Im no fanatic about this stuff, but I'd rather spend a little more on food than vet bills.

Thanks for your help, JB. I've read in a couple places that a person might actually feed less when buying premium food. I wasnt sure I was buying it since I was mostly reading bulldog forums. Those folks can get down right nuts about their dogs diet.
    how much do you spend on dog food per month if you guys dont mind me asking.
  • SinjunmbSinjunmb Posts: 91 Greenhorn
    I have feed my last three dogs pedigree dry dog food have had no problems with it.
  • FlashFlash Posts: 11,007 AG
    rysher wrote: »
    how much do you spend on dog food per month if you guys dont mind me asking.

Probably around $18.00, but there just little girls.

<
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Never seem more learned than the people you are with. Wear your learning like a pocket watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked. --- Lord Chesterfield

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file