Shimano Stradic 3000 MgFB thoughts?

chalmerspchalmersp Posts: 256 Deckhand
Hey guys, ive been trying to find some good info on the Stradic MgFB... I have an option to buy one pretty cheap but I want to make sure it hasnt been discontinued due to bad reviews... I know its magnesium so its light, but aside from that, I know nothing!
Any of you guys have one? Hows it feel? Hold up with saltwater?

Thanks guys!

Replies

• FISHHUNTRFISHHUNTR Posts: 1,261 Officer
    I had a 4000 Mgfb and it was a very nice reel, yes it'll hold up. Make sure the finish isnt' all scratched up though you need it to protect the mag
    "FISHUNTR"- 2012 20' Pathfinder, Yamaha F150, HDS gen 3 9T
  • PONCEPONCE Posts: 5,943 Officer
    I have that very real and love it, best one I have ever touched or owned :Rockon
    P1040590.jpg
    Landed this 28 lbs 36 inch Black drum with that 300 reel.---works
  • FishHeadFishHead Posts: 131 Deckhand
    Great reel, make sure to touch up any scratches, if used in saltwater.
  • chalmerspchalmersp Posts: 256 Deckhand
    Very nice catch!!! This one comes with the spare spool, and looks to be in great condition... Would you guys think 100 is an acceptable price on it?
  • PONCEPONCE Posts: 5,943 Officer
    Yes, mine cost 220 new--give it a good looking then give the man that 100 dollar bill and go catch some fish. I have had this reel 2 years and have no scratches or problems whatsoever. I'm not sure but I think they just discontinued that one.20130108_000603.jpg I just bought the new one 3 days ago, gunna catch some Reds tomorrow .
  • superdupersuperduper Posts: 1,913 Officer
    that 3000FJ is top notch. my favorite reel.....if i didnt own a ci4.

caught this big 39" red, between 25 and 35 lbs on the 3000.
    On a side note of the reel... Is the 3000MgFB interchangeable with the 3000FI? Like if I were to buy a 3000FI spool, would it work on the mgfb?

Thanks again guys!
  • territunaterrituna Posts: 56 Deckhand
    The reel parts would be available for a while plus they interchange with other shimano parts. Do not know on the spool.
  • Pescatoral PursuitPescatoral Pursuit Posts: 5,065 Officer
    if it is in good shape, you cannot go wrong at that price.
    cuda-title2_zpsb81e4f1d.jpg
    greggl wrote: »
    Strive for self-sacrificial levels of empathy and sympathy. We are only set free by becoming the scapegoat, or sin eater', rather than picking a target and 'throwing stones.'
    nuevowavo wrote:
    Think you're pretty clever? Think again. Time for a break.
    :rotflmao
  • flatsfisherflatsfisher Posts: 1,381 Officer
    have a lot of friends with those reels and they can only say good things about them and from the few times i used them i agree!
  • zmgsvtzmgsvt Posts: 300 Deckhand
    The spools do interchange. I have 2 MgFB's, great reels. Just switched to all Ci4s though.
    Awesome! I find out tomorrow if I get it! I have 2 CI4's too, and an old sustainFE plus a saragosa! I love them all! So hopefully I love this one just as much! :D My next step is a stella 4000 or 5000! :D
    dang. what kinda rods do you have those balling *** reels matched with?
    Working on getting a few loomis's but thats when I work some more and get more $$! Ive got a St croix 8' tidemaster that I put the sustain on, 7'6 redbone for the ci4 4k, 6' quantum boca inshore for the ci4 3k and 7'8 terez for the gosa 10k! I found the boca inshore rod IN A RIVER by my house... and its actually quite an awesome rod! I got a 10 pound crevalle on that thing! Took a while, but I still got it! Only using 10lb 832! :D Im probably going to get my first NICE NICE NICE rod and pair it with a ci4 or the stradic mgfb until I get a beloved stella... but only time will tell :D
  • Capt. BlackbeardCapt. Blackbeard Posts: 27 Greenhorn
    One of the best reels in the market without a doubt... I own three and absolutely love them... I also own a lot of other brands and in the future I might just replace the others with Shimano.
    when i first got my 4000 ci4, i matched it with a 7'6 m redbone. just didnt balance right. got a 7'6 seagis, didnt cast right, got a 7'6 stellar lite, was great. just the butt end of the handle was too long. could have gotten it cut down, but swapped it for a 7'. Great balance, great match. Ended up getting a 3000FJ and put that on the stellar lite, and put the ci4 on a 7' MH redbone, perfect match. balanced great, and felt great.
    that rod broke, so now i have the ci4 on a MH crucial inshore. has to be the perfect match, casts absolute bombs, and feels great. balances perfect.
  • DoozeDooze Posts: 233 Officer
    superduper wrote: »
    when i first got my 4000 ci4, i matched it with a 7'6 m redbone. just didnt balance right. got a 7'6 seagis, didnt cast right, got a 7'6 stellar lite, was great. just the butt end of the handle was too long. could have gotten it cut down, but swapped it for a 7'. Great balance, great match. Ended up getting a 3000FJ and put that on the stellar lite, and put the ci4 on a 7' MH redbone, perfect match. balanced great, and felt great.
    that rod broke, so now i have the ci4 on a MH crucial inshore. has to be the perfect match, casts absolute bombs, and feels great. balances perfect.

All nice rods n reels. What Stellar Lite do you have paired with the 3kFJ?

My long awaited go to setup for Tampa Bay is the 3kCi4 and a freshly purchased Seagis, 7'6", 6-14#, ML rod. It is by far the nicest setup I've ever used, but I believe in the past you haven't had the best experience with the Seagis. Previously I had a Tsunami Airwave M, 8-17, which is a great rod for around $100, but I preferred the thinner grip on the Seagis as I felt I had a better sense of what's happening on the other end of my line.
  • BColleyBColley Posts: 419 Officer
    I have the 2500 MgFb and it is one of my favorites. No problems.
    JBC

Chaos Tarpon Bay
    Ocean Master 31
  • dhadleydhadley Posts: 53 Deckhand
    I have a 2500 MgFA and love it. I'm told the A is slightly lighter than the B but don't know for sure. Holds up well, we fish tournaments that allows wading and the MgFA and my Ci4s have been great.
    Dooze wrote: »
    All nice rods n reels. What Stellar Lite do you have paired with the 3kFJ?

My long awaited go to setup for Tampa Bay is the 3kCi4 and a freshly purchased Seagis, 7'6", 6-14#, ML rod. It is by far the nicest setup I've ever used, but I believe in the past you haven't had the best experience with the Seagis. Previously I had a Tsunami Airwave M, 8-17, which is a great rod for around $100, but I preferred the thinner grip on the Seagis as I felt I had a better sense of what's happening on the other end of my line.

I had it on a 6-14. nice set up, matched perfect, till the tip snapped. just put the 3k on a 7'2 M crucial, really liking that set up too. these crucial rods are really sweet.
    I didnt end up getting the Stradic :/ Instead I found one of the old model Cabo 40's for 100 bucks! Im hoping this can be my new all around reel... Thinking about putting it with a Pro Green or Greenwater 7'9-7'10 or so... Maybe ill check out the Shimano Crucial or Teramar... What would you guys suggest? I dont know many of the other brands... so im open to anything!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file