Manatee Springs SP

001001 Posts: 4,292 Officer
Anyone one ever been? Just booked a tent site for the wife and I. We will be there the first of next month. Shouldn't the sea cows be piled up then?

Replies

• GROUPER SCOOPERGROUPER SCOOPER Posts: 1,871 Captain
    Nice spring.

Used to have the kids put their bubblegum on some mono along the dock to the river and they'd get some HUGE crawdads.

Hit or miss on the cows.
    Everything affects everything.You can't just change one thing.Every thing is connected.
  • Team SabatageTeam Sabatage Posts: 12,790 AG
    Yep, by the tons.
    You walk down into a plexiglass lined room and they swim all around you.
    Strap me in, tie me down and roll me a bone, I'm getting on an airplane and I'm flying home...
    What Manatee springs are we talkin?

Cheifland?
    Everything affects everything.You can't just change one thing.Every thing is connected.
  • 001001 Posts: 4,292 Officer

Cheifland?

Yes. The state park.
    Sorry, my bad, I was thinking Crystal River.

My mom and dad lived right across from Fanning Springs near Manatee Springs and that confused me.
    We went down to Crystal springs once while we were visiting them, 13 years ago.
    Strap me in, tie me down and roll me a bone, I'm getting on an airplane and I'm flying home...
  • Slopps08Slopps08 Posts: 1,038 Officer
    001 wrote: »
    Anyone one ever been? Just booked a tent site for the wife and I. We will be there the first of next month. Shouldn't the sea cows be piled up then?

Wow that is awesome we have the tent site next to you guys! :D

Tight lines to everybody!
    TS had me discombobulated there for a sec.Thought they opened a new one.lol

You should see some but they ain't as thick like the springs TS was referin to.

It's been a while for me but if ya like a decent burger check out Ralphs there in town.But like i said.....i haven't been in a while.
    Sorry about that, senior moment.
    Slopps08 wrote: »
    Wow that is awesome we have the tent site next to you guys! :D

Do it. I'll drive.
    Sorry about that, senior moment.

Atleast you remembered there are glass walls at CR.....so your not senile yet.
    001 wrote: »
    Do it. I'll drive.

What is the actual date?

Slopps08 wrote: »
    What is the actual date?

Feb 1st
    For 3 days or what? I will have to check to see when Jill is coming back from Tennessee and how long she has off! But I want us to go

• FlashFlash Posts: 11,024 AG

Cheifland?

Chiefland :wink

First park I took my future wife to camp out. Rained like he11. Manatees will be hit or miss, depends on the weather. With it warming up this week, I doubt it. Never know by February. Got a new Beef O'Bradys that is pretty good.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Never seem more learned than the people you are with. Wear your learning like a pocket watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked. --- Lord Chesterfield
  • Fishin RodFishin Rod Posts: 2,620 Officer
    I've been fishing the river for the past few weeks and the manatees are thick in Hart springs and Fanning springs right now so I would imagine Manatee springs is too. Manatee is a great place to see a bunch of deer too, cool place.
    "Be what you is"....... Isaiah Minter
  • APEAPE Posts: 972 Officer
    It has been years since I have camped down there in a tent but I do remember that the coons are very good at taking food out of coolers. The spring and run should have some manatees hanging around because it should be cooler by then but I will have to stop by to double check for you. Check out a forum member Wmflyfisher he is the park ranger/manager down at Manatee he should be able to give you all of the details.
  • tampabayjimtampabayjim Posts: 23 Greenhorn
    I camp there frequently. I may be a host this spring or summer. You will see lots of deer walking thru the campsites. The spring has good access if you want to swim. Checkout the map of the underground caves and tunnels in the camp office. Pretty cool. Chiefland has ok restaurants but no alcohol sales or service on Sunday. The Beefs north of town is outside the city limits so that's where I watch football on Sunday. The Walmart has an excellent outdoor section for hunting, fishing and camping supplies. Email shaw.design@gmail.com for more info and pictures.
  • HomerSimpsonHomerSimpson Posts: 6,412 Admiral
    one word: ticks

got ate up with them and that was just walking from our camper to the bathhouse.

The deer are puny and will walk right through your campsite while you're eating breakfast.
  • drkpttdrkptt Posts: 1,927 Captain
    I camp there frequently. ...

attachment.php?attachmentid=66864&stc=1&d=1357647931

You need a bigger red chair for that Aliner...

9t7yM.jpg
  • tampabayjimtampabayjim Posts: 23 Greenhorn
    I have Chair envy!!!
    Pretty cool Aliner. I get asked to look into mine every campground I am at. Looks like yours has the bubble to sit at the dinette.
    I have downsized as my kids are grown and really enjoy mine.
  • drkpttdrkptt Posts: 1,927 Captain
    I have Chair envy!!!
    Pretty cool Aliner. I get asked to look into mine every campground I am at. Looks like yours has the bubble to sit at the dinette.
    I have downsized as my kids are grown and really enjoy mine.

Thanks, it belongs to the fiance'; she wasn't going to put up with tent camping in the cold anymore. The dinette is in the front; it has two smaller bubbles up there. That rear bubble is cracked and temporarily goobed up with silicone caulk. Replacing that and a seal kit need to be done soon.

Photo was taken New Year's Day. I know what you mean, I'd guess about half a dozen people came by to look inside. And a drunk chick jumped on the big chair and broke it about 10 minutes after we got there. It's held together with baling wire in that photo.
  • SonOfAGunninSonOfAGunnin Posts: 5,084 Officer
    Pics of the drunk chick.
    Headed there this Friday. The low is 37°F on Friday, so hopefully some cows will be present.
  • ChuckcChuckc Posts: 4,396 Captain
    It's a very neat place. Expect no cell service in the CG but that's a bonus to me.
  • FluffyFluffy Posts: 1,762 Captain
    We used to camp there when I was in boy scouts 20+ years ago....

Ticks are either horrible or non existant.... I remember one camping weekend I pulled off 17, I think the record was 33.

Beautiful Springs, nice little run to the suwannee.

There are MANY smaller springs in that part of the river....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    We used to camp there when I was in boy scouts 20+ years ago....

Ticks are either horrible or non existant.... I remember one camping weekend I pulled off 17, I think the record was 33.

Beautiful Springs, nice little run to the suwannee.

There are MANY smaller springs in that part of the river....

BGC I use to camp with the boy scouts there about 20 years ago too, all of the local packs would go there for the summer for about a week and learn how to set up camp and learn to swim if they already didn't know how. Small world.
  • FluffyFluffy Posts: 1,762 Captain
    It is a small world.... I love that part of FL, we would take canoes, and spend 3-4 days floating down the river.

What troop were you in? I was in 440 out of Ocala...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Jim311Jim311 Posts: 4,807 Captain
    I was there last weekend, saw no cows, but heard one out in the river, but couldn't see it since the Suwannee is "black water." It was actually hot outside and I regretted not bringing some swim trunks. I saw some BIG bream hanging out in the spring run, and some nice bass as well. That made me wish I'd brought a fishing rod :)
    Jim311 wrote: »
    I was there last weekend, saw no cows, but heard one out in the river, but couldn't see it since the Suwannee is "black water." It was actually hot outside and I regretted not bringing some swim trunks. I saw some BIG bream hanging out in the spring run, and some nice bass as well. That made me wish I'd brought a fishing rod :)

32 is the low for Friday, so I don't think I'll be needing any swim attire. I will bring a pole though.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file