Illegal to fish on snook lights?

I guy at work today tried to tell me that in Charlotte County it is illegal to catch snook by fishing underwater dock lights. C'mon... there's no way this is true.
Tarpon... everything else is just bait.
2016 Tarpon Count: 61/209
2017 Tarpon Count: 109/431
Captain Keith Magnussen - Crooked Rod Charters
Instagram is @crooked_rod_charters

Replies

• dtobiasdtobias Posts: 733 Officer
    He's pulling your leg...
  • RexLanRexLan Posts: 868 Officer
    I don't think so .. I'm pretty sure it is illegal unless the light is black. :huh
    Port Charlotte, Florida
  • Joey ButtonsJoey Buttons Posts: 11,849 Officer
    Not true...fish them and have fun.
    FSU is the best football team of all time!
  • anejo22anejo22 Posts: 1,511 Officer
    bs
  • shambonershamboner Posts: 68 Deckhand
    Keeping the snook you catch under the lights is currently illegal. Fishing them however is a blast as long as the owner of said dock does not care.
  • Joey ButtonsJoey Buttons Posts: 11,849 Officer
    shamboner wrote: »
    Keeping the snook you catch under the lights is currently illegal. Fishing them however is a blast as long as the owner of said dock does not care.

Even if the owner does care. They don't own the water under the dock.
    FSU is the best football team of all time!
  • Flat_TopFlat_Top Posts: 298 Officer
    As long as you don't touch the dock or any private property the owner can not stop you from fishing their dock/light. They can turn the light off or jump up and down on their dock while you are fishing it if they like.
    Sell Your Stuff, Keep The Dog, Live On An Island
    Howard Livingston & Mile Marker 24 Band
    Beer Can Collection
  • Pmoconnor89Pmoconnor89 Posts: 77 Deckhand
    At one point it was illegal. I believe it was recalled in about 2009. It fell under a 1950's law against the use of underwater lights to harvest fish. Key word harvest, catch and release has always been legal.
  • chicochico Posts: 492 Deckhand
    At one point it was illegal. I believe it was recalled in about 2009. It fell under a 1950's law against the use of underwater lights to harvest fish. Key word harvest, catch and release has always been legal.

I remember in 2007 I was monkeying around with one of those underwater green lights on our dock on the Peace River, FWC stopped by and kindly informed me that the "light is illegal" in Charlotte County. That has changed as you stated. In other states when the counties passed such laws, the superior state courts have ruled that the counties do not have the power to pass and enforce such game laws. Don't know if it was ever challenged in Fla. courts.
  • DeepGlowDeepGlow Posts: 2 Greenhorn
    chico wrote: »
    I remember in 2007 I was monkeying around with one of those underwater green lights on our dock on the Peace River, FWC stopped by and kindly informed me that the "light is illegal" in Charlotte County. That has changed as you stated. In other states when the counties passed such laws, the superior state courts have ruled that the counties do not have the power to pass and enforce such game laws. Don't know if it was ever challenged in Fla. courts.

There was a law, but I don't think it was enforced much. We found that the Repeal of Chapters 57-1218 and 57-1219, Charlotte County Special Acts was effective 1/1/2012
  • shallowh20shallowh20 Posts: 2 Greenhorn
    A group of us were fishing a light that is on the way back to the ramp. We had some threadfins leftover so we anchored up and started pulling snook out. Within a couple minutes a guy was up on his second floor lanai claiming he was calling FWC. He said we couldn't fish the light and it was illegal. :huh I think he was jealous:grin Since then, the light has been removed and the dock torn out. I hope I don't ever get like that.
  • irishff727irishff727 Posts: 939 Officer
    Some people just have a permanent stick up their butt

insert witty saying here
    time enjoyed wasted is not wasted time
  • EckEck Posts: 15 Greenhorn
    While on the subject of dock lights, what is the best way to fish them?
  • kmagnusskmagnuss Posts: 2,514 Captain
    I've always had good luck flinging white bait under the docks on the edge of the lights... in the shadows. Splashing the bait right in the middle of the light always seems to spook the fish. If I'm using artificials (most of the time that's what I use) I cast over the light into the shadows and retrieve it through the light. I've had good luck with Yozuri 3d minnows... floating or suspended in fingerling size. Can't remember the color... but it looks sort of bronze with a darker back. Had good luck with DOA glow shrimp dragged on the bottom for silver trout.
  • shambonershamboner Posts: 68 Deckhand
    Even if the owner does care. They don't own the water under the dock.

This is true. I have had mixed experiences from owners threatening to call FWC or the police and really cool owners offering me a beer while i was kayaking fishing a few docks lol one of the coolest guys ive prolly ever met. As for how to fish them. I really like using live shrimp casting into the shadows and dragging them into the light and letting it sit with no lead or cork. A DOA glow shrimp is my best option for artificial, fished the same way bounced off the bottom with big hops.
  • Captain_TimCaptain_Tim Posts: 55 Deckhand
    Flat_Top wrote: »
    They can turn the light off or jump up and down on their dock while you are fishing it if they like.

Both has happened to me several times
    Knowing is better than guessing but luck always helps!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    WWW.FLYINGFISHFLEET.COM
  • SweeperSweeper Posts: 59 Deckhand
    I have these two guides who take their clients to my dock, during the day. They throw tons of live bait around, on the docks and in the boats (on-lifts) then they tell their stupid clients to throw as close as possible to the docks and consequently the boats on the lifts. They hit the boat all the time hook the dock lines posts and even outboard motors. I don't blame the clients, it's the guides!!!

I've talked to them and told them i enjoy it when a client catches a nice snook. I asked if they could be careful around my new 65k bayboat, within minutes his client cast right into the boat, dinged the black paint on the outside and I removed 15 baits from inside my boat, and more all over the dock.

Second time I saw them ( they both have Dorado's) and fish Fort Myers Area. I ask again not to cast on to my dock, or leave dead pinfish everywhere.
    An hour later, what do you know. At it again. A**holes

Now I run onto the dock, jump up and down. They literally anchor 5' in between mine and my neighbors dock..

I'd never hire a guide that take me to the local canals to catch a fish you can't keep. They release them, but that doesn't work since they are all hooked deep and most are bleeding, and turn up dead later after the pictures.

I used to love watching them, now I hate them being around. They don't give a sh** about anything except there $$.. Some are good and careful, but most won't amke eye contact with you, because they are being sheepish about charging someone 500.00 to fish my canal.

I've seen them sit there with their bewildered clients arguing with other neighbors and persistently fishing water with 10 dolphins slamming their baits and mullet. Not a snook for miles.

After my rant: I thought you can't target snook specifically. they all do, and I have film.
  • chicochico Posts: 492 Deckhand
    Bouncing off a boat with your sinker is NEVER cool. If it was my boat that was damaged, I would file a claim with his insurance company. Your insurance should be able to get his ins info. 5' away! I might be a sick bastage, but armed with water balloons, I would say "hey, urine trouble" ;)
  • kmagnusskmagnuss Posts: 2,514 Captain
    Nothing a sweet cannonball on top of the spot they were fishing wouldn't cure. :)

Or just videotape them. Most people don't want to be on camera... especially if they're damaging your property.
  • FinfinderFinfinder Posts: 9,188 Admiral
    some of the docks in Tarpon Bay entrance have rope tied (underwater) between the pilings

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file