2013 Photo collection

ChuckcChuckc Posts: 4,396 Captain
Maybe we can start a thread where folks can post recent shots they liked in one common thread similar to the old "I just got my digital camera" thread. Who knows, maybe this place has a little life left.

Two from the weekend.

Cooperative pelican.

8404137652_284424440d_b.jpg
DSC_0815crop by Flcrutch, on Flickr

I've been by this particular dead tree many times but never tried to shoot it. I'm not happy with the way it turned out and need to try it in different conditions. I think at night painted with a flashlight might turn out cool.

8403117463_a28c6da6e5_b.jpg
DSC_0796crop by Flcrutch, on Flickr

Replies

• Cane PoleCane Pole Stuart, FLAPosts: 9,576 Admiral
    Pete the Pelican looks pissed off...

Great shot
  • mississippi macmississippi mac Posts: 4,215 Officer
    Chuck....

you're on to something with the tree....
    What about the time of the day when the sun may light it up a little better, convert to B&W, then work a little magic during PP....
    you might be able to make the tree pop by turning down the back lighting...

OR wait till the sun either just rising or setting and paint it with a big mag light....
    you'll have to play with exposure time (long) and be on a tripod with remote release....

a good flash at the before mentioned times may do it for you too....

tim
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The Real White Dog

if you can't catch a fish...catch a buzz....
    #12976, joined 8-17-2002
  • WaterEngineerWaterEngineer Posts: 24,414 Officer
    OK, I'll play. Here are six photos taken since the first of the year. I'll post some more as the thread ages.

1. Breeding time.
    axUicldl.jpg

2. The Ibis fight.
    EpKO53el.jpg

3. Flight at dusk.
    RyCHKztl.jpg

4. Sandhill displaying.
    gPXs7jtl.jpg

5. Public Bus rolls by. 2 second exposure.
    fkwGECIl.jpg

6. Palm Beach Inlet before dawn. 15 second exposure.
    t2P6BUPl.jpg
    Which ever one(s) of you little boys complained about quotes in the signature should be ashamed of yourself. :blowkiss

Instead of complaining to the moderators you should just quit playing on this board.
  • soflah3soflah3 Posts: 589 Officer

6. Palm Beach Inlet before dawn. 15 second exposure.
    t2P6BUPl.jpg

That is a fantastic shot
  • ChuckcChuckc Posts: 4,396 Captain
    Ahh, it lives! At least a bit anyway.

That's more or less what I was thinking Mac. I'll be up there again in the next month or two for sure.

Glad to see the Heron population has a chance to expand. :blowkiss
    Found another one I like a bit. I took Guidenet's advice and bought a Kenko 1.4 Pro TC for $120.00 from KEH and have it mounted on the 300 AF-D lens. This and the Pelican were handheld (of course) with this lens combination. For the money I'm happy.
    From today. The Osprey mating pair and one other (male) were in a three bird dog-fight for several minutes before this pair came overhead.

The GBH's are having their eggs hatch the last few days.

Also, looks like the Great Egrets are finally ready for mating too.

HRdNrbLl.jpg

cU8FTmPl.jpg

o1ku9Etl.jpg
    Which ever one(s) of you little boys complained about quotes in the signature should be ashamed of yourself. :blowkiss

Instead of complaining to the moderators you should just quit playing on this board.
    Great dueling osprey timing!
    Fight in the wetlands. Photos taken 1-11-13 at MacArthur State Park. There was a hen in heat and these two roosters were fighting. It was a special afternoon.

WPvIBwol.jpg

jNxCF6wl.jpg

Jr4Rmjol.jpg

YjeKNDGl.jpg

Verrry cool opportunity for sure.
    Displaying GBH at John MacArthur State Park. There are two females outside the right of the frame. This critter eventually chased one of the females back into the mangroves.

nyxcEmZl.jpg

Craig...
    Displaying GBH at John MacArthur State Park. There are two females outside the right of the frame. This critter eventually chased one of the females back into the mangroves.

another great image...
    i have been following your documentation of the behavior of the gbh's with interest as well as the quality of the images...

we have 3 pairs of gbh's that started nesting on the homestead after katrina....
    in over a 100 years of family occupation here, there were never any nesting here on the family homestead...
    now...every spring...we look forward to watch their activity...
    ours are a month or so behind yours for the rituals and nesting...
    they are indeed fun to watch and photograph....

thanks for sharing....

tim
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The Real White Dog

#12976, joined 8-17-2002
    Makes sense you are about a month behind South FL, since you are to the north. Are you on Facebook? If not I will send you information, another way, about a woman in east TX who runs a GBH rescue facility. We communicated a few times, she is very nice. The things she tries to talk to me about would be more relevant to you because of (somewhat) more similar weather patterns. She is very knowledgeable and I am sure would like to hear your story.

From today.

1. testing new wings.

pMfospUl.jpg

ZD59vI6l.jpg

3. This adult thought I was too close, I guess. There is no crop - this is right from the camera - thought a 300mm lens.

w2YdjNPl.jpg

4. The Great Egret displaying. The egrests are ready and about 2 weeks early as my notes report.

zx2iM15l.jpg

5. Purple Gallinule. I almost never get them out in the good light. The like to hide out in the shadows.

Yu5fDSql.jpg

Criag....
    Makes sense you are about a month behind South FL, since you are to the north. Are you on Facebook? If not I will send you information, another way, about a woman in east TX who runs a GBH rescue facility. We communicated a few times, she is very nice. The things she tries to talk to me about would be more relevant to you because of (somewhat) more similar weather patterns. She is very knowledgeable and I am sure would like to hear your story.

i do have a fb page in my name....tim lawton....
    i'm the only one in ms that i know of....
    i opened it up to get some exposure for my images...

tim
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The Real White Dog

#12976, joined 8-17-2002
  • HeywoodHeywood Posts: 49 Deckhand
    Its been some time since I have posted in pictures here, so here goes...............

DSC_0107-2.jpg

DSC_0139-1_zps4a3c90e0.jpg
    That's a great Great Egret shot Craig.

Nice additions Haywood. My little blue isn't quite as nice. Shot at the Lowe's wetlands (retention pond) at lunch yesterday.
  • OnewolfOnewolf Posts: 657 Officer
    Not a great photo composition wise, but I very rarely see the Painted Bunting much less get a photo of him so....

IMG_4875.jpg
    *** Tidewater 2100 Yamaha F150 ***
    *** Native Watercraft Magic 14.5 ***
    *** www.onewolf.org ***
    That's far better than any PB shot I have managed to get. I only recently found some areas that they frequent. They are beautiful birds for sure.
    not birds...but some landscapes from one of our barrier islands....

IMG_2488tonemappedC_zps424863a0.jpg

IMG_2384tonemappedC_zps61ac605b.jpg

IMG_1988pp_zpsf1365ac9.jpg

IMG_0223ppHDR.jpg

a couple are obviously hdr...been playing with photomatix...
    and a couple are pretty much out of the camera with some exposure fixing...

tim
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The Real White Dog

#12976, joined 8-17-2002
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The Real White Dog

#12976, joined 8-17-2002
    It's been too long since I have spent any time in the marsh. Thanks Mac.
    A few from a reenactment at a former Confederate camp (Camp Milton) near my house.
    [video=vimeo;59459505]
    Mac, are you doing 3 shot HDR merges or working with a single file?
  • TurkeymasterTurkeymaster Posts: 210 Officer
    Gentleman those are some impressive photographs.
    "If we lose freedom here, there is no place to escape to. This is the last stand on Earth ...
    Ronald Reagan
    Chuckc wrote: »
    Mac, are you doing 3 shot HDR merges or working with a single file?

Chuck....
    the top 2 images are obviously hdr...
    I used as many as 5 exposures in post processing....
    the lower 2 images are pretty much out of the camera...i had some miner exposure adjustments to make on them...

tim
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The Real White Dog

#12976, joined 8-17-2002
  • OnewolfOnewolf Posts: 657 Officer
    The Painted Bunting has been coming to my feeding station several times recently

IMG_5013.jpg

IMG_5021.jpg

IMG_4972.jpg
    *** Tidewater 2100 Yamaha F150 ***
    *** Native Watercraft Magic 14.5 ***
    *** www.onewolf.org ***
  • TeodoraTeodora Posts: 6 Greenhorn
    Beautiful picture collection. Shorts are good and the result is very clear. This is a beautiful world. It is the collection of beautiful things both living and non-living, beautiful landscapes, beautiful flowers, beautiful animals…..the list is endless. It is our endeavor to make available to you pictures of as many beautiful things as possible.
    aged care community
  • lbudlbud Posts: 984 Officer
    df
    Live while You're breathing! It's Your only chance.....:grin

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file