Coley to leave FSU - new OC for the Canes

nuevowavonuevowavo Posts: 5,977 Admin
James Coley has informed coach Jimbo Fisher and Florida State officials he’s leaving to become the University of Miami’s next offensive coordinator, multiple sources say.

The 39-year-old Miami High and FSU graduate made $390,000 last season to prepare the game plans for the Seminoles before Fisher called plays on game days. He was offered $500,000 to become UM’s next offensive coordinator, a source said. Although FSU matched the offer, Fisher appeared to not be willing to give up the play-calling duties.

Coley, who was offered the offensive coordinator position at Kentucky in December but turned it down, called plays for FIU in Mario Cristobal’s first season as coach in 2007. He then moved to FSU, where he has worked as the tight ends coach, recruiting coordinator and most recently the offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach.

The University of Miami has yet to confirm the hire.

Coley has always had strong recruiting ties to South Florida throughout his career, and his addition to UM’s staff is a boon two weeks before National Signing Day. He has been the lead recruiter for Florida State on two Miami Booker T. Washington High All-Americans – linebacker Matthew Thomas and offensive lineman Denver Kirkland....

http://www.miamiherald.com/2013/01/24/v-print/3198627/sources-james-coley-tells-fsu.html
Federales, bring my baby back to me!

Replies

• Security LeakSecurity Leak Posts: 838 Officer
    A local guy that is a good recruiter with local connections can only help UM and hurt FSU, especially this close to signing day. It may sway a couple of FSU verbal commits to the U. I know he did not call the plays at FSU which is good because they were boring as hell.
  • Ssoto0055Ssoto0055 Posts: 2,139 Officer
    A local guy that is a good recruiter with local connections can only help UM and hurt FSU, especially this close to signing day. It may sway a couple of FSU verbal commits to the U. I know he did not call the plays at FSU which is good because they were boring as hell.

Have to agree with you. Now the Cristobal hire seems like a similar deal. Keep a guy with lots of local ties here and prevent someone else from hiring him. Looks like Golden is trying to seal off South Florida after the damage Coker and Shannon did.
  • SeminolekenSeminoleken Posts: 3,489 Officer
    They hired an unproven OC two weeks before Signing Day to get two recruits who are actually from Miami, definition of desperate.
    2012-09-01_19-51-23_295copy.jpgr8yvdx-1-1.jpg
  • KeysNoleKeysNole Posts: 518 Officer
    The good thing is that Miami might get a few recruits (Kirkland, Collins, Thomas) that would have gone to FSU.

The bad thing is that they get an unproven play caller with no real resume.

Kind of reminds me of FSU new DC. High risk...may or may not be high reward.
  • TumbleweedTomTumbleweedTom Posts: 1,987 Officer
    fsu has now lost 6 coaches since the end of football season.
    Think THAT won't hurt recruiting?
    Nah...

Not to worry, fsu still has dimbo's offensive genius.
    Yep.
    In tree's proverbial words, "they're leaving the sinking ship, before....."
    "I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy." Tom Waits.
    KeysNole wrote: »
    The good thing is that Miami might get a few recruits (Kirkland, Collins, Thomas) that would have gone to FSU.

The bad thing is that they get an unproven play caller with no real resume.

Kind of reminds me of FSU new DC. High risk...may or may not be high reward.

Terrible move (IMO) to pick him up as a true OC.

Everyone knows FSU had him for his recruiting.....Jimbo called the plays. This is the real reason he left, he wanted to call the plays and Jimbo wouldn't turn over those duties.

His only stint as a real OC came at FIU. FIU's PPG dropped 59% with Coley as OC, and then shot up 57% when he left.

Big gamble to put this guy as OC, maybe Miami is that desperate for recruits.
    fsu has now lost 6 coaches since the end of football season.
    Think THAT won't hurt recruiting?
    Nah...

Not to worry, fsu still has dimbo's offensive genius.
    Yep.
    In tree's proverbial words, "they're leaving the sinking ship, before....."

And every single one except this one moved up into higher positions. Promotions are a sign of coaches doing a good job......and a sign that Jimbo knew what he was doing when he hired them.

FSU fans are thrilled with all the new hires, especially stealing the coach from 'Bama even though they matched our offer.

Coley is the only lateral move and it makes sense since his family and his wife's family are from Miami. He goes home and get's to be an actualplaycaller (bad thing for UM in my opinion).

Also Cristobal has said that Coley is "like a brother" to him. Got a feeling this has been in the works since Cristobal was hired at miami.

Maybe FSU gets a real OC now......could be more good news for FSU.

As far as recruiting......it may cost us a recruit or two but we've had awesome classes the last few years, we can stand to finish around the bottom of the top ten in classes rather than #1 for at least one year :wink
  • 2amigo2amigo Posts: 3,631 Captain
    Jimbo won't hire a OC. You are stuck with his questionable game day decisions that has been going on offensively since he was first hired as Bowden"s offensive coordinator. Even the players question his calls.
  • Capt. Ron SchurrCapt. Ron Schurr Posts: 194 Officer
    Capt. Ron Schurr
    (904)-707-8328
    North Florida Fishing Charters
    www.fishingnorthflorida.com
    He is considered one of THE best recruiters around for the South Florida region. FSU and the Gators for that matter will lose a few recruits every year to this guy.

"Coley was labelled and considered the ACC top recruiter by ESPN recruiting"
  • Ssoto0055Ssoto0055 Posts: 2,139 Officer
    They hired an unproven OC two weeks before Signing Day to get two recruits who are actually from Miami, definition of desperate.

How about the fact that you've lost 6 coaches from your staff in since the bowl game. That should trouble you more. It was reported that Jimbo even offered to let him call plays and he still left. Something is fishy in Tally.
    Ssoto0055 wrote: »
    It was reported that Jimbo even offered to let him call plays and he still left.

Don't know where you read that but I know for an absolute fact that isn't true. Jimbo offered to match the $ but refused to give up playcalling.
    Ssoto0055 wrote: »
    How about the fact that you've lost 6 coaches from your staff in since the bowl game. That should trouble you more. It was reported that Jimbo even offered to let him call plays and he still left. Something is fishy in Tally.

I'd say it's more like 'cheese', not fish ssssssoto, (unless you mean fish-er) and even the coaches and players smell it.
    It's the 'muenster'...., dimbo. He can't "see the forest for the trees" Even after experiencing it and being told publicly every year.
    When a coach's bad decisions cost the HEAD coach, and the institution, victories EVERY year.., and against sub par talent/teams they're fired.
    And when you recruit to the highest caliber every year and still can't REACH the highest caliber? Same decision. Easy enough. Get some help.

A talented head coach would have already resolved this issue and moved on to being THE head coach.
    Thankfully..., JF doesn't get it
    Don't know where you read that but I know for an absolute fact that isn't true. Jimbo offered to match the $ but refused to give up playcalling.

And here lies the problem for FSU

If you think they hired him to get two recruits you are not real bright. They hired him because of the recruits he WILL get them in the future. He also is not unproven as an OC since he was OC and playcaller at FIU and did pretty well that year. He also worked for Nick Saban at LSU and the Dolphins and as much as I despise him is one of the best coaches around. It seems FSU thought pretty highly of him as well since they were going to match his $500,000 salary that UM offered.

His only stint as a real OC came at FIU. FIU's PPG dropped 59% with Coley as OC, and then shot up 57% when he left.

After installing a new offensive system it picked up dramatically that last 6 games. The first six games were also against 5 bowl teams from the previous year.

In his first season with the Golden Panthers in 2007, Coley needed just six games to revamp the FIU offense. Through the first six contests of the season, Florida International's schedule featured five bowl teams from 2006. With Coley installing his new offense, the Golden Panthers scored a total of 44 points and averaged 211.7 yards of offense per game but that all changed in the second half of the season. In its final six games FIU's offense scored 137 points and averaged 327.7 yards per game. On top of more than tripling its points scored in the second half of the year, Coley's ground game almost doubled its output (85.5 ypg to 152.7 ypg) and the passing offense increased by almost 39% (126.2 ypg to 175.0 ypg).

FIU posted its best offensive performance in nearly two years against Louisiana-Lafayette (11/17/07), scoring 28 points and compiling 391 yards of total offense. The 28 points equaled the previous year's season-high and the 391 yards were the most since the team had 438 yards of offense in the 2005 season finale against Middle Tennessee. In addition, FIU's 264 yards rushing against Lafayette were the most since producing 266 yards on the ground against Florida Atlantic in the 2005 season. The team had 377 yards of total offense against FAU on 11/24/07, marking the first time since 2005 that FIU had at least 375 yards of total offense in consecutive weeks. In the 38-19 season finale win against North Texas, Coley's offense scored the most points by a FIU team since a 52-6 win against Florida Atlantic on Nov. 26, 2005.

2007 FIU Offense
    Games 1-6 Games 7-12
    Rush Pass Total Avg Rush Pass Total Avg
    513 757 1270 211.7 916 1,050 1,966 327.7
    After installing a new offensive system it picked up dramatically that last 6 games. The first six games were also against 5 bowl teams from the previous year.

In his first season with the Golden Panthers in 2007, Coley needed just six games to revamp the FIU offense. Through the first six contests of the season, Florida International's schedule featured five bowl teams from 2006. With Coley installing his new offense, the Golden Panthers scored a total of 44 points and averaged 211.7 yards of offense per game but that all changed in the second half of the season. In its final six games FIU's offense scored 137 points and averaged 327.7 yards per game. On top of more than tripling its points scored in the second half of the year, Coley's ground game almost doubled its output (85.5 ypg to 152.7 ypg) and the passing offense increased by almost 39% (126.2 ypg to 175.0 ypg).

FIU posted its best offensive performance in nearly two years against Louisiana-Lafayette (11/17/07), scoring 28 points and compiling 391 yards of total offense. The 28 points equaled the previous year's season-high and the 391 yards were the most since the team had 438 yards of offense in the 2005 season finale against Middle Tennessee. In addition, FIU's 264 yards rushing against Lafayette were the most since producing 266 yards on the ground against Florida Atlantic in the 2005 season. The team had 377 yards of total offense against FAU on 11/24/07, marking the first time since 2005 that FIU had at least 375 yards of total offense in consecutive weeks. In the 38-19 season finale win against North Texas, Coley's offense scored the most points by a FIU team since a 52-6 win against Florida Atlantic on Nov. 26, 2005.

2007 FIU Offense
    Games 1-6 Games 7-12
    Rush Pass Total Avg Rush Pass Total Avg
    513 757 1270 211.7 916 1,050 1,966 327.7

So in summary.....they were horrible against good teams and did decent against bad teams with the very brightest highlight being a 4 TD performance against mighty Louisiana-Lafayette.

Good luck with that.

Again.........
    FIU's PPG dropped 59% with Coley as OC, and then shot up 57% when he left.
    So in summary.....they were horrible against good teams and did decent against bad teams with the very brightest highlight being a 4 TD performance against mighty Louisiana-Lafayette.

Good luck with that.

Again.........

Mmmm.... Sound like another team I know with a very weak schedule
    2amigo wrote: »
    Mmmm.... Sound like another team I know with a very weak schedule[/QUOTE

Notice SemKen is the one of the few who doesn't get that from the nole group...,
    fsu is regresssing..., not otherwise.
    Mmmm.... Sound like another team I know with a very weak schedule[/QUOTE

Notice SemKen is the one of the few who doesn't get that from the nole group...,
    fsu is regresssing..., not otherwise.

Lolwutpear.jpg

FSU 4 years prior to Fisher:

37-22

No ACC title appearances since 2005.

2-6 record against Miami and Florida

Finished unranked 3 of 4 years and ranked 23rd the other year.

2010 Fisher takes over, in three years FSU has:

Gone 31-10

Played for the conference title twice.

Won the conference

Won It's first BCS bowl since 1999

Gone 5-1 against the gators and canes.

Finished ranked all three years (including a top 10 ranking).

Maybe you need to learn what the word regression means.

This reference might help: www.dictionary.com

186498d0fc6acbd12b24d71d3b7ebdb4.jpg

Florida_State_Seminoles_Lonnie_Pryor_Orange_Bowl_MVP_20130102014158_320_240.jpg

Lolwutpear.jpg

FSU 4 years prior to Fisher:

37-22

No ACC title appearances since 2005.

2-6 record against Miami and Florida

Finished unranked 3 of 4 years and ranked 23rd the other year.

2010 Fisher takes over, in three years FSU has:

Gone 31-10

Played for the conference title twice.

Won the conference

Won It's first BCS bowl since 1999

Gone 5-1 against the gators and canes.

Finished ranked all three years (including a top 10 ranking).

Maybe you need to learn what the word regression means.

This reference might help: www.dictionary.com

186498d0fc6acbd12b24d71d3b7ebdb4.jpg

Florida_State_Seminoles_Lonnie_Pryor_Orange_Bowl_MVP_20130102014158_320_240.jpg

Unfortunately for the Noles the ACC has gone to the sheeter over this time as well. Miami hasn't been good and UF sucked and were beat by alot of teams for those 2 years. FSU should have been undefeated and they should have beat us this year if they were for real. This should have been their year. I am not saying Jimbo is a bad coach. The problem with alot of coaches is he "doesn't know what he doesn't know". He has always made questionable decisions on game day. He needs an OC. Here is what a few former Nole players and 2 now in the NFL say,(straight from the horses mouth) "great in preparing us for what the defense on the other side will do, but he calls some (questionable plays) sometime. "Questionable plays" is a more polite term that I have substituted for what was actually said. I bet most Noles would agree with me here except you. :grin

Unfortunately for the Noles the ACC has gone to the sheeter over this time as well. Miami hasn't been good and UF sucked and were beat by alot of teams for those 2 years. FSU should have been undefeated and they should have beat us this year if they were for real. This should have been their year. I am not saying Jimbo is a bad coach. The problem with alot of coaches is he "doesn't know what he doesn't know". He has always made questionable decisions on game day. He needs an OC. Here is what a few former Nole players and 2 now in the NFL say,(straight from the horses mouth) "great in preparing us for what the defense on the other side will do, but he calls some (questionable plays) sometime.
    "Questionable plays" is a more polite term that I have substituted for what was actually said. I bet most Noles would agree with me here except you. :grin

That's essentially what I had said before Ken posted all the cartoon cr@p.
    And if the 'press release' he put up earlier about his brilliance is all true, he should be calling the offense for the noles.
    They obviously need someone beside the HC to do it for them.
    Had enough of this now. Can't save those who won't be saved!

Good luck with that.

Again.........

No, in summary UM got a OC that two Head Coaches that know a hell of a lot more than you and I were willing to pay half a millions bucks a years to have him work for them. In the process FSU lost their top recruiter in talent rich South Florida along with 5-6 other coaches that left the program!!!

Good Luck with that!!!

That's essentially what I had said before Ken posted all the cartoon cr@p.
    And if the 'press release' he put up earlier about his brilliance is all true, he should be calling the offense for the noles.
    They obviously need someone beside the HC to do it for them.
    Had enough of this now. Can't save those who won't be saved!

Never said I was brilliant but it doesn't take a brilliant person to know that going from three 7-6 seasons to conference champs and BCS bowl champs is NOT regression.

To say otherwise would be the definition of an idiotic statement.
    No, in summary UM got a OC that two Head Coaches that know a hell of a lot more than you and I were willing to pay half a millions bucks a years to have him work for them. In the process FSU lost their top recruiter in talent rich South Florida along with 5-6 other coaches that left the program!!!

Good Luck with that!!!

Everyone knows Coley was hired at FSU for his recruting abilities. No one is denying that you got a great recruiter. If he's gonna be calling yourplays you have one year to reference and it was a flop.

As to our coaching vacancies.......all of these coaches getting promotions just shows that Fisher knew what he was doing when he hired them. FSU fans are again happy with the new staff. 12 NC appearences, 8 NC wins, 48 years of coordinating experience.

All of that and we still have one more vacancy to fill. I think we'll be just fine.
    Everyone knows Coley was hired at FSU for his recruting abilities. No one is denying that you got a great recruiter. If he's gonna be calling yourplays you have one year to reference and it was a flop.

As to our coaching vacancies.......all of these coaches getting promotions just shows that Fisher knew what he was doing when he hired them. FSU fans are again happy with the new staff. 12 NC appearences, 8 NC wins, 48 years of coordinating experience.

All of that and we still have one more vacancy to fill. I think we'll be just fine.

Changing 6-7 high level coaching positions in a single year is horrible. You can sugar coat it all you like but they are gone and reason they are gone does not really matter and the continuity of the recruits they were recruiting is gone as well. His one year of calling plays started out slow and ended up being very productive. BTW, they had VERY LITTLE talent in 2007 and their recruiting classes before them sucked so he had little to work with. He will be stepping into a very talent UM offense and I am sure will not try an reinvent the wheel.
  • alacrityalacrity Posts: 2,653 Captain
    nobody knows whether Coley will work out or not, whether he will be a good play caller or not. time will tell. regardless of how it is spun, it is somewhat of a blow to FSU. i cant imagine that losing the OC, DC and a few other coaches at the same time is a good thing.

seminoleken, you have a few grammatical and punctuation errors . . .
    But if you only have love for your own race
    Then you only leave space to discriminate
    And to discriminate only generates hate
    And when you hate then you're bound to get irate
    alacrity wrote: »

Nah.., he live's in Blountstown.

Wait and see..,
    Coley, will be an attribute for recruiting and the offensive scheme for the 'Canes.
    alacrity wrote: »

So cute.

calvin-klein-obsession-eau-toilette-spray9556.jpg
    Wait and see..,
    Coley, will be an attribute for recruiting and the offensive scheme for the 'Canes.

Miami lost a good and proven OC and recruiter for a man who will no doubt be a good recruiter but is not only an unproven OC but fell flat in his one attempt as a real OC.

Miami thinks this is a good trade, but miami fans are usually delusional.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file