Butt out knife

davidfloridadavidflorida Posts: 1,103 Officer
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1358902902.735071.jpg what is your favorite knife for getting the but put.
If you can't hear it your not listening.

Replies

• omegafooomegafoo Posts: 3,102 Captain
    The same knife I skin, gut, and cut the cartilage between the rib cage and the sternum. Case Mini-Trapper or Case Trapper.
  • davidfloridadavidflorida Posts: 1,103 Officer
    I've done all my deer ,pigs with my old buck knife ,gut to skinning . This year I used the havalock for skinning . Surgical blade can't be beat. My wife got me this folding filet knife looks like it will work really good for getting the butt out. The buck fell a little short on that area.
  • binellishtrbinellishtr Posts: 7,330 Admiral
    learn how to quarter a deer without ever having to mess with that,or guttin it. Unless your gonna hang it for a while.
  • Lc-hunter86Lc-hunter86 Posts: 2,926 Officer
    learn how to quarter a deer without ever having to mess with that,or guttin it. Unless your gonna hang it for a while.

Bingo ^
  • flydownflydown Posts: 6,459 Admiral

Yep^. Haven't gutted a deer in over three years, but I love my Swingblade for skinning and a 6" boning knife for getting the meat off the skeleton.
    What about the tenderloins, you ask? Yep, I get them too.
    DYING for me was the most HE could do. LIVING for HIM is the least I can do
  • huntmstrhuntmstr Posts: 6,284 Admiral

X4

I don't even need a saw. I bone the deer while it's hanging. About the only time I drop the guts in a bucket is if I'm keeping the ribs. Otherwise, a single 4" drop point Buck Alpha Hunter with a gut hook does everything I need.
    Bushnell, Primos and Final Approach Pro Staff. Proud member of the Fab Five, Big Leaugers and Bobble Head 4.

I had you pissed off at hello.
  • spfldbowhunterspfldbowhunter Posts: 892 Officer
    I just use a sharp pocket knife w/ a narrow blade for that, and a Benchmade Hunter for everything else.
    Eph. 3:20
  • Derek ArsuaDerek Arsua Posts: 2,474 Officer
    I never even mess with it cut it off on the inside to get to the tenderloins right before I drop the hams off

But I use a Schrade ole timer love it for ducks mainly but it does it all
  • ChopperChopper Posts: 104 Officer
    I use a small sharp knife and a sawsall. I do prefer to grind up all the small portions of meat that I trim off the bones. The bones are glossy after I'm done even the ribs.
  • DemonDemon Posts: 216 Deckhand
    Pocket knife is all that is needed to completely disassemble and bone a hanging deer. No saws and no messing with butts or pee sacks. It all stays with the carcass. Done this way it is also faster than getting out the saws & then having to do all the trimming later. Disassemble at the joints. Work the knife down to the joints. Why cut through a bone when your knife can cut to the joint and sever the tendons holding the joint together?
    Yup I bone em out hanging...soooooo much better. People I know always want to gut their deer as soon as they kill them. When I ask them why...they say well I dunno...just always have lol.
    Yup I bone em out hanging...soooooo much better. People I know always want to gut their deer as soon as they kill them. When I ask them why...they say well I dunno...just always have lol.

Hunting mostly public land I gut most of them. It drops allot of the weight off. Some places we hunt are 1.5 hours walk without a dead deer. Noticeable difference. Nothing like making your way back to the truck at 10:30 at night by yourself with a gutted deer:). If I'm close in and it's cool they don't get gutted.
  • FCHCFCHC Posts: 207 Officer
    works even better on those smelly pigs.. crack open the abdomen on them and hold back the urge to GAG.... Buck Skinner and a 5 inch ****..... skin it then remove loin, then front shoulders, then neck, crack the abdomen just enough to dig out the tenderloins, then remove each hind quarter and whalla deer / pig carcass no mess. Been Filleting fish without cutting into guts Since i was a kid so why not on big critters too. only time i gut deer is when i hunt Missouri each Fall and we shoot some before dark. then i gut and hang over night , hunt next morning then finish them when i get back from AM hunt. temp is always in 30-40's..
    Chopper wrote: »
    Hunting mostly public land I gut most of them. It drops allot of the weight off. Some places we hunt are 1.5 hours walk without a dead deer. Noticeable difference. Nothing like making your way back to the truck at 10:30 at night by yourself with a gutted deer:). If I'm close in and it's cool they don't get gutted.

I hunt public land as well, and agree that when going in deep its nice to shed some weight. Unfortunately most of the wmas I hunt don't allow the animal to be dismembered whatsoever before being checked. Some of the romp and stomped I hunt do...but another reason I don't is for fear of attracting pesky bears...
  • publichunterpublichunter Posts: 1,066 Officer
    Do you guys take the ribs?
    I don't usually mess with the ribs...I've tried them a few times though...
  • micci_manmicci_man Somewhere in FLPosts: 11,958 AG
    4" case xx trapper. Once deboned I use a 8" filet style to clean up the meat.
    Common Sense can't be bought, taught or gifted, yet it is one of the few things in life that is free, and most refuse to even attempt to possess it. - Miguel Cervantes
  • ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 8,279 Admiral
    Only time I gut if it's cold and then I hang the carcass for 2-3 days, otherwise bone em out.
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
    Do you guys take the ribs?

Strip and grind usually. Only takes a few minutes.
  • ReelAffair23ReelAffair23 Posts: 786 Officer
    +1
  • james 14james 14 Posts: 2,834 Moderator
    I gut just because I usually take it home and it's easier to throw it all in the trash if there are no guts...plus I can gut one in about 10 minutes on the ground.
  • flyinfishflyinfish Posts: 64 Deckhand
    What about the argument that deboning the meat before the deer is fully cooled down makes it tougher? Is the difference noticeable? I sure as he'll don't know
    flyinfish wrote: »
    What about the argument that deboning the meat before the deer is fully cooled down makes it tougher? Is the difference noticeable? I sure as he'll don't know

I've never noticed much of a difference. A sharp knife however, makes all the difference in the world.
  • huntmstrhuntmstr Posts: 6,284 Admiral
    That's a bunch of bunk. There is nothing that would cause the meat to be tougher by boning it before it cools down. The longer you can let it stay cool and drain the blood from the meat as it ages, the better and more tender it will be.
    Bushnell, Primos and Final Approach Pro Staff. Proud member of the Fab Five, Big Leaugers and Bobble Head 4.

I had you pissed off at hello.
  • gottheitch22gottheitch22 Posts: 4,093 Captain
    ITS alot easier to get the fishers out when you gut them
    living life as i like
    ITS alot easier to get the fishers out when you gut them

Umm...what is this fisher thing you refer to? I only see two definitions of fishers, and neither one has anything to do with a deer.

fish·er
    /ˈfiSHər/
    Noun

A fisherman.
    A large brown marten (Martes pennanti) valued for its fur, found in North American woodland where it frequently preys on porcupines.
  • Slopps08Slopps08 Posts: 1,038 Officer
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1358902902.735071.jpg what is your favorite knife for getting the but put.

Guys don't you see he is just trying to show off his deer!

Tight lines to everybody!
  • davidfloridadavidflorida Posts: 1,103 Officer
    Not my deer that is my sons ,I usually use my buck knife but it is to short for the cavity.I quarter then debone I think next year I will try the deboning method on the hoof.
  • gottheitch22gottheitch22 Posts: 4,093 Captain
    flydown wrote: »
    Umm...what is this fisher thing you refer to? I only see two definitions of fishers, and neither one has anything to do with a deer.

fish·er
    /ˈfiSHər/
    Noun

A fisherman.
    A large brown marten (Martes pennanti) valued for its fur, found in North American woodland where it frequently preys on porcupines.

im sorry guess you never heard of the inner loin being called a fisher
    living life as i like

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file