Fine or Penalty

SJCSJC Posts: 2,558 Officer
There was a thread in the West Central forum that got "poofed" about 2 guys keeping 27 Redfish. Some were over and under the slot limit. What penalty/fine are these D-Bags looking at.
The Beatings will continue until moral improves!

Replies

• Kids Ate My BaitKids Ate My Bait Posts: 1,037 Officer
    Don't know of the specifics on the case, but it is a criminal offense (misdemeanor) and fines up to $1,000 per charge.
    Don't blink - they grow up fast

e0855416-db02-4210-a35f-fb932b7f1510_zpsizxn0kmf.jpg
  • 85okhai85okhai Posts: 246 Officer
    just saw this on fwc facebook today
    http://www.facebook.com/MyFWC?ref=ts&fref=ts
    8aa18353-93c1-47d9-a69d-05a47ee5322c.jpg
  • SJCSJC Posts: 2,558 Officer
    fines up to $1,000 per charge.

I hope they get $1000 per fish
    The Beatings will continue until moral improves!
  • Kids Ate My BaitKids Ate My Bait Posts: 1,037 Officer
    I hope they get $1000 per fish

x2
    Don't blink - they grow up fast

e0855416-db02-4210-a35f-fb932b7f1510_zpsizxn0kmf.jpg
  • Slopps08Slopps08 Posts: 1,038 Officer
    x2

X3

Tight lines to everybody!
  • perlman1234perlman1234 Posts: 1,449 Officer
    Poaching charges should work like what happens if you get caught with drugs. If you have a certain amount in your possession( I know its not distributing when it comes to fish) it should turn into a felony. 27 redfish is stupid and I really hope they get a 27,000+dollar fine each for this. A slap on the wrist is not going to change anything. They will probably just try to be more sneaky next time.
  • hewes18hewes18 Posts: 757 Officer
    Not sure what happened with that particular case, I remember reading it too and waiting to see what happens.

Usually though, when you're caught with under/over slot or over bag limit on fish they give you one citation per qaunity that was over bag limit. Unfortunately at best (or worse for them?) they will get a misdemeanor fine for each fish just for under/over slot possession and they'd be a couple hundred bucks each. It will also fall on the state Attorney and judge in how they would like to pursue it.
    tumblr_lkaudd2RQQ1qg6fb5.gif
  • BarrellBarrell Posts: 933 Officer
    A fish that is both undersize and over the bag limit equals two citations. When I worked as a game warden we always asumed there may be a commercial element involved and would investigate that angle until we determined the violations were strictly recreational.
  • 9-Lives9-Lives Posts: 2,113 Captain
    Barrell wrote: »
    A fish that is both undersize and over the bag limit equals two citations. When I worked as a game warden we always asumed there may be a commercial element involved and would investigate that angle until we determined the violations were strictly recreational.

Nice, guilty until proven innocent.

Edit: Actually, after a little more thought, you've already caught someone breaking the law. I guess it is now your job and duty to follow through and see to what extent that individual broke it.
    marlin_baitball.gif
  • Jim311Jim311 Posts: 4,783 Captain
    Here is what happened in that case.
    Two Fernandina Beach men caught with 33 gigged-caught redfish were fined and one was sentenced to 30 days in jail after they were found guilty of taking the fish illegally, according to the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission.

George Bartchlette, 73, was fined $4,150 and sentenced to 30 days in jail. He was also fined $90 for operating a vessel with no navigational lights. Ronald Waters, 47, was fined $1,003 on a charge of taking two fish.

Read more at Jacksonville.com: http://jacksonville.com/news/crime/2013-03-06/story/nassau-county-men-found-guilty-taking-33-redfish-illegally#ixzz2NCDkwY3i

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file