Boating safety equipment

:shrug,Qustion on boating safety equipment. What is the worst senerio if some of you equipment is not up to par and you are checked by the C G or the F W P.
:USA

Replies

• ShineShine Posts: 801 Officer
    I would say generally a ticket – civil fine. Could be ordered back to dock - even towed back you are not sea worthy. In Florida, if you committee 2 non-criminal violations in a 12 month period, you have to take a mandatory boater safety class. So, for example, if you have out of date flairs and no working horn/audible signal device – back to school for you, and thinner check book.

But if something goes bad because of negligence, for instance you knowingly exceed the number of passengers on the capacity plate and there is an accident with a serious injury or fatality, you can be charge with a criminal office including negligent homicide. A victim can also bring suit for damages in civil court. So the “worst” that can happen by not complying with the safety laws can be life changing – assuming you are not the fatality that resulted from a violation. The purpose of the law is to protect lives. Its not a big deal to get this right. Be safe.
  • dblazerdblazer Posts: 26 Greenhorn
    I went fishing sunday (1.20.2013) and got pulled over right at dark. I had my red&green lights but not my stern (white) light. Violation #1. My flares were expired. Violation #2. My fire extinguisher gauge was in the red. Violation #3. LEO cited me a warning for two of the violations and fined me for one violation. Each violation was $92 so he could have got me for $276. I just sent my ticket and check for $92 to Bay county court house. GO GET WHAT YOUR SUPPOSE TO HAVE!

Good luck and tight lines!
  • Split ShotSplit Shot Posts: 6,095 Admiral
    Bay Co? Where were you stopped? :)

Sounds like the officer was more than fair.
  • Joe NamathJoe Namath Posts: 83 Deckhand
    The worst case scenario is when something bad happens and you don't have what you need to save your life.
  • Joey ButtonsJoey Buttons Posts: 11,849 Officer
    I always try to out run them if they try to stop me. I go back in the shallows where they can't get to.
    FSU is the best football team of all time!
  • Split ShotSplit Shot Posts: 6,095 Admiral
    nice!
  • Mako_OneMako_One Posts: 216 Officer
    http://wow.uscgaux.info/content.php?unit=V-DEPT&category=i-want-a-vsc
    Check out this site and have one done every year. I have inspected a bunch of boats that are not seaworthy, don't have tge proper safety gear or are over loaded. I have even responded to rescue calls on vessels that earlier in the day have terminated their voyage because of missing safety items or not being seaworthy. It's free and you might learn something. Also recommend taking a boaters safety course. take along your spouse and kids and ask who ever goes out with you regularly to attend as well.
  • dblazerdblazer Posts: 26 Greenhorn
    I was coming thru the pass at panama city. He was fair and professional, i'm not complaining.
  • Jim311Jim311 Posts: 4,786 Captain
    Joe Namath wrote: »
    The worst case scenario is when something bad happens and you don't have what you need to save your life.

Exactly, the civil penalties should be irrelevant, but it's cheaper to buy the equipment than to pay the fine that's for sure.
  • Go MongoGo Mongo Posts: 2,105 Captain
    I always try to out run them if they try to stop me. I go back in the shallows where they can't get to.

Funny. Actually I tried to do that last summer, sort of...

Was running around 15 miles or so out. Heading back towards land. In the distance I see a larger vessel which appeared to be on a collision course, so I corrected 30 degrees to his stern. Wouldnt you know he did the same thing, so now I went 30 degrees back. Dam... he did it too.

At this point I think he is just a bad driver, and now I see it appears from the color that it might be a CG vessel. Not thinking much about being pulled over, and with plenty of space between us I goosed it.

Did not take them long catch up get in my wake. (FYI, their large inflatable pilot house boats are really, really fast.)

So they are lined up along the gunnel and seem rather excited to board me. One of the officers is asking were I'm coming from, going to, etc.. I explained what I did as an effort to avoid them and why.

He responded that they set the courses on purpose to intercept and they got a chuckle out of that.

Anyway, they were respectful and never bothered to board.

Did wish me better luck on the fishing though.
    “Every day is a new day. It is better to be lucky. But I would rather be exact. Then when luck comes you are ready.”
    ― Ernest Hemingway, The Old Man and the Sea

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file