Rod and Reel Help

adthorntonadthornton Posts: 6 Greenhorn
bass fishing down here in palm beach county. Would like a set up for soft plastics.

What rod and reel set up would guys recommend for $200. Money is tight and i have saved for a while, wouldnt feel right spending more than that. Got the go ahead from the wife

Thanks

Replies

• fsu11fsu11 Posts: 1,814 Captain
    why do you need to spend 200$ you can get a good quantum rod and reel for 60$, its what i use and i love it for bass fishing
  • congoman775congoman775 Posts: 1,387 Officer
    Penn Battle 3000 with Falcon Coastal XG or TFO Signature
    are you looking for a baitcaster, or spinning reel?
  • adthorntonadthornton Posts: 6 Greenhorn
    looking to go with a baitcaster
    im not big into baitcasters, id like to but if you have the money i hear the abu garcias "black" is a pretty good baitcaster its about 50$ for the real and id get a decent uglystick rod to put it on, if not the skeet reese or wright and mcgill rods are top of the line both are around 100$
  • SuperFlukeSuperFluke Posts: 1,889 Officer
    tough budget to hit for baitcasting rig. get a cheap used rod, and splurge a little on the reel. Spinning reels are one thing, but you really get what you pay for in a baitcaster.
  • Pescatoral PursuitPescatoral Pursuit Posts: 5,065 Officer
    The Abu Orra reel and Vendetta rod is a great combo for 200.

If its a freshwater only combo then your choices are greater. There should be a BPS near you, and just check out the combos. Its important to get a rod with enough backbone to drive a big hook thru the plastic, and still have enough flex at the tip to throw an unweighted fluke. I also prefer pins to magnets when it comes to cast control.

And whatever combo you get, make sure to spool it with braid.

Penn Battle 3000 with Falcon Coastal XG or TFO Signature

A little more focus on the application, please.
    cuda-title2_zpsb81e4f1d.jpg
    greggl wrote: »
    Strive for self-sacrificial levels of empathy and sympathy. We are only set free by becoming the scapegoat, or sin eater', rather than picking a target and 'throwing stones.'
    nuevowavo wrote:
    Think you're pretty clever? Think again. Time for a break.
    :rotflmao

If its a freshwater only combo then your choices are greater. There should be a BPS near you, and just check out the combos. Its important to get a rod with enough backbone to drive a big hook thru the plastic, and still have enough flex at the tip to throw an unweighted fluke. I also prefer pins to magnets when it comes to cast control.

in his defense i would use the combo he stated for bass fishing all day long if i was solely using live shiners haha but you are right

I could outfish you with that.
    I could outfish you with that.

Prescribing that combo, I doubt it.
    johnD wrote: »

Too bad you didnt lift any 101s or 51s while you were at it.
    Strive for self-sacrificial levels of empathy and sympathy. We are only set free by becoming the scapegoat, or sin eater', rather than picking a target and 'throwing stones.'
    nuevowavo wrote:

fsu11 wrote: »
    in his defense i would use the combo he stated for bass fishing all day long if i was solely using live shiners haha but you are right

What's wrong with that combo?
  • johnDjohnD Posts: 6,378 Admiral
    Prescribing that combo, I doubt it.

Too bad you didnt lift any 101s or 51s while you were at it.

not my ad homie.
    What's wrong with that combo?

Bass fishing with soft plastics, unless you're drop shotting, is typically the domain of baitcasters. You cannot beat the power to weight ratio not only for hook setting, but pulling fish out of cover. I have a Falcon Coastal, and its a great rod for fishin the flats. But for bass in cover it would easily get bogged down, along with the reel.
    nuevowavo wrote:
    Bass fishing with soft plastics, unless you're drop shotting, is typically the domain of baitcasters. You cannot beat the power to weight ratio not only for hook setting, but pulling fish out of cover. I have a Falcon Coastal, and its a great rod for fishin the flats. But for bass in cover it would easily get bogged down, along with the reel.

My friend, you need to fish a TFO loomis signature.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file