bimini

Wanting to make a trip but dont know much about it i just hear it is a great time
Any info would be great. And what time of year is the best time to go.

Replies

• HogTideHogTide Posts: 177 Officer
    Are you wanting to take the kayak or the 65' Viking??? If the latter, head out in the morning, if not wait till summer.:driver:
    ______________________________________________________________________________________
    When I'm not Fishing...I'm Catching:USA
  • Bugless112Bugless112 Posts: 41 Deckhand
    HogTide wrote: »
    Are you wanting to take the kayak or the 65' Viking??? If the latter, head out in the morning, if not wait till summer.:driver:

I have a 24foot wellcraft is that safe to cross with?
  • nuevowavonuevowavo Posts: 5,982 Admin
    Bugless112 wrote: »
    I have a 24foot wellcraft is that safe to cross with?

Single engine or twin?
    Federales, bring my baby back to me!
    nuevowavo wrote: »
    Single engine or twin?
    Single 225 johnson repowerd in 2010
  • Next LevelNext Level Posts: 2,962 Officer
    The safest thing is for you to find a buddy boat to cross with back and forth. I am assuming you are looking into it now for a summer crossing, which should give you some time to plan it.If you are thinking about now or in the near future, forget it. A first time gulf stream crossing is not your typical weekend fishing trip.
    Next Level wrote: »
    The safest thing is for you to find a buddy boat to cross with back and forth. I am assuming you are looking into it now for a summer crossing, which should give you some time to plan it.If you are thinking about now or in the near future, forget it. A first time gulf stream crossing is not your typical weekend fishing trip.

Yes, I am trying to plain it for the summer and get as much info as possible. I been talking about doing the trip for like a year now I just don't know evething I need to know about the trip.
    Start with the basics. Mechanical Maintenance,Electronics and safety equipment are your first priorities and should be put ahead of lodging,food and length of stay..
    July and August are the best times to go to have calm seas although the fishing is typically off and you have to watch out for major thunderstorms.

Some will disagree with me, but I avoid Bimini at all costs.:grin
  • LastMangoLastMango Posts: 4,574 Officer
    Definitely buddy boat... Never on a north wind, or even a hint of a north wind...

If you haven't done a crossing before, and don't know the whole customs, quarantine flag, return stuff, make sure you ask some friends to explain all of this to you... Of course an EPIRB or a Spot (http://www.findmespot.com/en/) is advised... A sat phone is nice... A ditch bag is good if you have storage room...

These sailing cruising guides have a TON of info in them, might be a worthy investment - http://www.amazon.com/Bimini-Bahamas-Vantage-Boating-Cruising/dp/0972958916

A few links for you to see
    https://www.google.com/search?q=boating+to+bimini&rlz=1C1GGGE_enUS505US506&aq=f&oq=boating+to+bimini&aqs=chrome.0.57j0l3j62l2.3628&sugexp=chrome,mod=18&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

If you go in the summer, a Yeti is advised for holding ice longer...

Rum is cheap, beer is not, take lots of beer, lots....

Have fun!
    attachment.php?attachmentid=131572&d=1399127702
  • wpbthwpbth Posts: 443 Officer
    I would find someone who has gone and go with them.
    :fishing
  • reel stamasreel stamas Posts: 6,151 Admiral
    My dad loaded us all up in an old ~25' I/O Cuddy ~35yrs ago & we spent Xmas break living on the boat 'Island Hopping'... Most fun I ever had... We had to delay our return however due to 'weather' & when we finally headed back it was 'Sporty' to say the least... In retrospect he was Crazy to make that trip then in that boat, but we sure had fun...
    There should be NO Commercial Fishing for any fish species considered 'Over-fished' / 'Undergoing Overfishing' or Subject to Recreational Seasons or Limits :banghead
  • Go MongoGo Mongo Posts: 2,105 Captain
    I like the idea of going with someone else first. Do that.
    “Every day is a new day. It is better to be lucky. But I would rather be exact. Then when luck comes you are ready.”
    ― Ernest Hemingway, The Old Man and the Sea
  • brianbbrianb Posts: 2,243 Captain
    My marina, palm beach yacht center, is planning a group trip in June I think, this summer sometime anyway. Might be a good idea to look into. I could not imagine you have to be a member of the pbyc to participate, the ocean is free. I'm tentatively signed up too.
    brianb wrote: »
    My marina, palm beach yacht center, is planning a group trip in June I think, this summer sometime anyway. Might be a good idea to look into. I could not imagine you have to be a member of the pbyc to participate, the ocean is free. I'm tentatively signed up too.

Could you send me the information or maybe aweb link ?
    You should also ask a Mod to move this thread to the Tropical Section or you can check the archives their. Lots of good info if it's still available.
  • nuevowavonuevowavo Posts: 5,982 Admin
    We've resurrected a thread, "Bahamas Checklist", in the Tropical General section: http://forums.floridasportsman.com/showthread.php?10897-Bahamas-checklist

You can look for and find buddy boats here: http://forums.floridasportsman.com/forumdisplay.php?216-Crossings-and-Buddy-Boats
    Federales, bring my baby back to me!
  • wanabewanabe Posts: 144 Officer
    wpbth wrote: »
    I would find someone who has gone and go with them.

yup ... things happen ...go with someone a couple times first ...ill be going alot ....you can follow or ride ... ill prob start in april
    USCG Captain
    State Certified General Contractor
    State Certified CAM Manager
    State Certified Home Inspector
    State Certified Mold Assessor
    State Certified Mold Remediator
    www.tritonassoc.com
    www.cleanairxperts.com
    www.cleanairinc.com
  • 001001 Posts: 4,292 Officer
    Go Mongo wrote: »
    I like the idea of going with someone else first. Do that.

Well.....
    wanabe wrote: »
    yup ... things happen ...go with someone a couple times first ...ill be going alot ....you can follow or ride ... ill prob start in april
    Will you pm the info ?
  • Enough AlreadyEnough Already Posts: 82 Deckhand
    The best rookie way to go is with one of the Bahamas govt sponsored flings. 10 - 20 boats, planning meetings, guided crossings, lodging discounts, party on the other side, gift bags, etc. They take several trips a year in the summer time from S. Florida ports. Costs about $50 to participate. My boat could handle the trip easily but had to do the convoy thing to convince the wife and girls to go last summer. Piece of cake & highly recommended for first timers. Go to the Bahamas website and look up flings to get the 2013 schedule.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file