Crystal River 01/09/2013 trout and snook

capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 9,056 Moderator
Ahh retirement. Had my semi-retired brother-in-law call me Sunday to go fishing with him so picked Wednesday due to warm weather and big incoming tides.
The other reason is because the ramp at FIT wouldn't be very busy. Guess retirement people all feel the same way as there were more trailers parked than I thought.
Oh well , launch and go. Ended up fishing the mouth of CR with only a couple of small trout and ladyfish so headed back up river as the tide turned in.

Slipped through to salt river and went to some areas I haven't fished in 20+ years. May as well try some old spots that used to work in the colder months.
Was slow but got better when the water came in. Gene was first with a 21" trout on a jig near some just covered oyster bars.

IMGP0252.jpg

Cool! A nice fish and bigger that the pic shows. OK , maybe there are more there ?
I ran the trolling motor back over and cast my Rapala (same one that caught the bass with Spanker) and the lure stopped and started screaming to the left !
WTH , thing is running like a tuna ? Too fast for a trout or red ? It took several good runs before I seen the tail and it made a good show of it's self before we
netted it.
A sweet 12lb snook . No monster but on light bass tackle a good fight.

IMGP0253-1.jpg

IMGP0254-1.jpg

A "Mac" shot.

IMGP0256.jpg

We moved back up Salt River to a deep hole and put two more keepers in the cooler for Gene and headed in.

IMGP0258.jpg

It was a good day for the middle of winter .
Pura Vida .
"You'll get your weather"

Replies

• Kids Ate My BaitKids Ate My Bait Posts: 1,037 Officer
    Nice fish. Love seeing those snook around.
    Don't blink - they grow up fast

e0855416-db02-4210-a35f-fb932b7f1510_zpsizxn0kmf.jpg
  • PONCEPONCE Posts: 5,943 Officer
    Thats a sweet Snook, I`m still waiting to do the impossible and hook-up with one in the Wac , CL :Rockon
  • angler18angler18 Posts: 2,035 Officer
    good trip there capt, and congrats on the solid snook!
  • ripnlipsripnlips Posts: 2,535 Captain
    Looks like a great way to spend a Wednesday. I woulda killed to be out there with ya today. This "work" thing is waaaay over rated.
  • CatfishCatfish Posts: 527 Officer
    Nice fish! And yea, what Marrio said. The work thing is overrated. Enjoy your retirement.
  • RedbonzRedbonz Posts: 4,510 Captain
    Awesome fish this time of year....and Catfish, you better get use to this work thing...you are still young and with a youngun on the way...wellllll.
    If it don't fit force it. If it breaks it needed replace anyways. :banghead
  • Moon ShadowMoon Shadow Posts: 764 Officer
    WTG Capt. Nice fish.
  • troutman57troutman57 Posts: 3,691 Officer
    So ya headed south for some action Capt? Looks like you found it! Very nice fish and I love the Croc.
    This place Rocks if yer a crabber
  • ReelhootReelhoot Posts: 251 Officer
    CONGRATS ON THE RETIREMENT AND THE FISHIES=KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    http://www.homeaway.com/vacation-rental/p341728

FOR RENT: Beautiful 2 bed 2 bath condo in Hunter Springs, Crystal River
  • Snook SpankerSnook Spanker Posts: 1,690 Captain
    Daza Niza Snuka Pizan!!! What a difference 2 days after the front makes!! Monday we went and could only scrape up some baby basses, snapaz & sheepheadz w/ one big added catch> I gotz Da FLU!!! Remember in the afternoon when I said> "somethingz gettin me, I feel like I got run over by a train!!!" Then stole one of Yer beers and took a handfull of pillz to medicate myself?? Yep> My Doc sayz I got'z the same symptoms as 20 other peeps he see's every day!!! It'z goin round and just hope you don't get it!!! Glad I got a Flu shot tho cause this ain't nearly as bad as I remember back when I didn't get the shotz!!! Getting Da Flu was like getting the "Black Death" back then!!! So If you ain't got a shot yet> Go get one cause they are sayin it's never to late unless you already gotz it!!!
    I am'z what I am'z and that'z all that I am'z!! > Popeye!
  • deerflydeerfly Posts: 711 Officer
    awe man capt, yer killin' this S Fl cracker transplant with this mid January snook shenanigans way up here in the BB! :)

I ain't figured em' out yet up here at all, caught a few over the years, but far from having a handle on em. Anyway, I get the feeling there's way more snook around these parts than most realize, including the FWC. Between the coochee, barge canal and crystal river there's a ton of places for them to ride out even the kind of winter we had in 2010. **** near every one I see posted looks as healthy and well fed as any I've ever caught on either coast south of the big-O.

enuff musing, great report and great to see a healthy snook around here in January no less...
    "impossibility cannot be concluded from a sample of failed efforts" - Edsger W. Dijkstra
  • capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 9,056 Moderator
    Don't forget the Homosassa and Chaz rivers D.fly . There are more around than I've seen in the 35 years I've been here.
    **** global warming.

Spanker , Bummer about catching the plague . I got sick about 4 days after getting a flu shot last month. It sucked.
    "You'll get your weather"
  • Capt.ZacharyCapt.Zachary Posts: 110 Officer
    Nice snook!
    Fish till your arms fall off.....
  • Fishin RodFishin Rod Posts: 2,620 Officer
    Nice snook Louiedawg.....
    "Be what you is"....... Isaiah Minter

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file