cliffs, ceilings, whatever... THIS is why this country is about to crash in on itself

This is for fiscal year 2011. Just imagine what it will look like in the next few years...

Mike Huckabee
Last month, the Senate Budget Committee reports that in fiscal year 2011, between food stamps, housing support, child care, Medicaid and other benefits, the average US household below the poverty line received $168 a day in government support. What’s the problem with that much support? Well, the median household income in America is just over $50,000, which averages out to $137.13 a day. To put it another way, being on welfare now pays the equivalent of $30 an hour for a 40-hour week, while the average job pays $25 an hour. And the person who works also has to pay taxes, which drops his pay to $21 an hour. It’s no wonder that welfare is now the biggest part of the budget, more than Social Security or defense. And why would anyone want to get off welfare when working pays $9 an hour less?

Replies

• SAENoleSAENole Posts: 9,479 Admiral
    And people still wonder why we had record voter turnout in certain areas and precincts reporting 100% of their votes for Obama.
    I may be entitled to compensation.
  • BigfootBigfoot Posts: 9,343 Admiral
    Rhett,

Pride in ones ability to provide for himself and their family seems to be diminshing, taking a hand -out from the Govt - no big deal to the masses. We are the minority now, imagine our parents and Grandparents felt somewhat the same way as time marched on...we are a wealthy Nation not by accident, the head cheese says it's time to share in said wealth.

I'm not a believer in "luck" - luck doesn't work in the long run.

Just like your degree, no one went to those classes but you, you passed those classes - that was not luck. Same goes for ones work...talent moves forward and up, slackers to the wayside...the people in the wagon, we don't know em.
    Sometimes the nicest people you meet are covered in tattoos & sometimes the most judgmental people you meet go to church on Sundays...
  • ferris1248ferris1248 North GeorgiaPosts: 13,551 Moderator
    This country isn't going to crash in on it's self.

It's simply going to resemble European countries more and more into the future.

IMO, if Romney had been elected not much would change. There's still a divided congress.
    "That which is hateful to you, do not do to your fellow. That is the whole of the law. The rest is commentary."

Rabbi Hillel (c20 BCE)
  • Nat-LightNat-Light Posts: 451 Deckhand
    But you have to look at who are the true beneficiaries of entitlements, is it the person living in the ghetto with their 8 kids? Or is it all the businesses that are the beneficiaries of the hundreds of billions of dollars that these people throw into the economy each year? The reason you won't see meaningful spending reform in this country is because "big business" doesn't want to give up the entitlement cash cow. We borrow $1.4 trillion/ year presently. Government spending accounts for roughly 20% of our GDP. We all know that in the long term we would be better off with a balanced budget and getting rid of our debt, but do you honestly think all the businesses suckling on the teat of our government would give up over a thousand billion dollars a year? When the U.S. cash cow dries up, they have other countries and a few billion other people in developing countries to prey upon. It's just a numbers game, we pay into the pot through taxes (which is about 40-50% less than we "need" to meet our spending), the government takes that money, borrows another $trillion or so, and then injects that money back into the economy through government spending. In one form or another at least 20% of what you make stems from entitlements and government spending. Our economic policy decisions are influenced by folks who are looking for an increase in THEIR bottom line; their foresight might only be for a couple of quarters into the future and they don't really give a shi$ about what happens when our children are stuck with a $30 trillion dollar debt. Our country spends too **** much money, plain and simple. We don't need a $600 billion dollar defense budget, a trillion dollars in Obamacare, etc... Politics is all about bringing home the bacon. The rich are getting richer and poor are getting poorer, most of us are just stuck in the middle paying both of their ways in one form or another.
    Well said sir.
    "That which is hateful to you, do not do to your fellow. That is the whole of the law. The rest is commentary."

Rabbi Hillel (c20 BCE)
  • dstockwelldstockwell Posts: 13,690 AG
    ferris1248 wrote: »

Like Greece....
    Middle East - Those who enjoy taking from the U.S. taxpayer while contributing nothing.
    Nat-Light wrote: »
    But you have to look at who are the true beneficiaries of entitlements, is it the person living in the ghetto with their 8 kids? Or is it all the businesses that are the beneficiaries of the hundreds of billions of dollars that these people throw into the economy each year? The reason you won't see meaningful spending reform in this country is because "big business" doesn't want to give up the entitlement cash cow. We borrow $1.4 trillion/ year presently. Government spending accounts for roughly 20% of our GDP. We all know that in the long term we would be better off with a balanced budget and getting rid of our debt, but do you honestly think all the businesses suckling on the teat of our government would give up over a thousand billion dollars a year? When the U.S. cash cow dries up, they have other countries and a few billion other people in developing countries to prey upon. It's just a numbers game, we pay into the pot through taxes (which is about 40-50% less than we "need" to meet our spending), the government takes that money, borrows another $trillion or so, and then injects that money back into the economy through government spending. In one form or another at least 20% of what you make stems from entitlements and government spending. Our economic policy decisions are influenced by folks who are looking for an increase in THEIR bottom line; their foresight might only be for a couple of quarters into the future and they don't really give a shi$ about what happens when our children are stuck with a $30 trillion dollar debt. Our country spends too **** much money, plain and simple. We don't need a $600 billion dollar defense budget, a trillion dollars in Obamacare, etc... Politics is all about bringing home the bacon. The rich are getting richer and poor are getting poorer, most of us are just stuck in the middle paying both of their ways in one form or another.

I see that, excluding 10% of the truly needy the poor are not striving to better themselves and I know a few people who do very well for themseleves - they work hard period.
    Sometimes the nicest people you meet are covered in tattoos & sometimes the most judgmental people you meet go to church on Sundays...
    dstockwell wrote: »
    Like Greece....

Never happen.

In the overall scheme of things, Greece is insignificant.

Rabbi Hillel (c20 BCE)
  • RhettleyRhettley Posts: 1,545 Officer
    This country isn't going to crash in on it's self.

IMO, if Romney had been elected not much would change. There's still a divided congress.
    Yep. Greece... Riots and disorder in the streets when any cut backs are proposed. Once you give it out you can never get the people back off it.
  • RhettleyRhettley Posts: 1,545 Officer
    Try telling most 20 to 40 year old welfare recipients that they are going to lose their benefits in 6 months so they better start looking for a job. Tell them you are starting welfare work programs. Free daycare but they have to put in 8 hours a day at a manual labor job like serving food in a soup kitchen, picking up trash on the roadsides, working in a recycling plant, mowing the grass in a city park, etc.
    There will be riots like this country has never seen before. I know because the man in the dark sunglasses told me so before he left in his silent black helicopter.
    Maybe you should of left with him. :)

Rabbi Hillel (c20 BCE)
    Bigfoot wrote: »
    I see that, excluding 10% of the truly needy the poor are not striving to better themselves and I know a few people who do very well for themseleves - they work hard period.

You strive to better yourself because you were most likely brought up in a two parent home, where your dad worked hard, and you lived in a neighborhood/community where that was the norm. Throughout your life, you have been afforded the opportunity to form relationships and/or interact with other successful people. You have been able to not only witness but also realize the benefits of working hard. What if you had grown up in the ghetto, you didn't know who your dad was, your mom was a crackhead who didn't care what you did, the people who were "making it" in your community were criminals, you had to worry about getting shot, etc? I agree that hard work is very important, but equally important is the environment in which you were raised. Most of us have been given a tremendous leg up compared to someone who was born into crime and poverty. The rags to riches stories are few and far between...they happen and people also win the powerball. I am by no means excusing or defending the multitudes of sorry **** in our country, I'm just pointing out that there are environmental factors which may make what appears to be a molehill to us, a mountain to others.
    You strive to better yourself because you were most likely brought up in a two parent home, where your dad worked hard, and you lived in a neighborhood/community where that was the norm. Throughout your life, you have been afforded the opportunity to form relationships and/or interact with other successful people. You have been able to not only witness but also realize the benefits of working hard. What if you had grown up in the ghetto, you didn't know who your dad was, your mom was a crackhead who didn't care what you did, the people who were "making it" in your community were criminals, you had to worry about getting shot, etc? I agree that hard work is very important, but equally important is the environment in which you were raised. Most of us have been given a tremendous leg up compared to someone who was born into crime and poverty. The rags to riches stories are few and far between...they happen and people also win the powerball. I am by no means excusing or defending the multitudes of sorry **** in our country, I'm just pointing out that there are environmental factors which may make what appears to be a molehill to us, a mountain to others.

Very true. Work ethic has to be instilled.

If you don't know any better, how would you know?

Rabbi Hillel (c20 BCE)
    Rhettley wrote: »
    Try telling most 20 to 40 year old welfare recipients that they are going to lose their benefits in 6 months so they better start looking for a job. Tell them you are starting welfare work programs. Free daycare but they have to put in 8 hours a day at a manual labor job like serving food in a soup kitchen, picking up trash on the roadsides, working in a recycling plant, mowing the grass in a city park, etc.
    There will be riots like this country has never seen before. I know because the man in the dark sunglasses told me so before he left in his silent black helicopter.

And then what do the people do who are already being paid to do those things do? You still have the government subsidizing the same people. What happens to unemployment when you suddenly throw another 10 million people into the job market?
  • tapatetapate Posts: 5,141 Officer
    Very true. Work ethic has to be instilled.

If you don't know any better, how would you know?

You look with your eyes.

Im partially joking, but at some point you can't plead ignorance after a year or two of doing the same thing.

I agree with you, your close to spot on...I actually tell all the white male family and friends who have college, "your white, your male and your educated< keep making good choices, work hard, keep your word and the future is bright - you've been afforded a big leg up"...

In saying that, if I had been born and raised in the ghetto as you describe - if I had this same brain - I'd figure out a quality way of life if for some fluke reason I wasn't Lebron James, lol

Nat, I have never forgotten my Mother telling us all we would attend and graduate college our entires lives - which for me opened doors with new found confidence. Also, I saw 2 parents work 40+ years with my Dad starting at age 13 with a paper route (he actually just re-retired for the 2nd time this time for good at 74 years old). My SS benefits show I started paying into the system at 14 and not missed a day since...yep, environment helps.

Signed: son works 2 jobs + school
  • trout069trout069 Posts: 4,052 Captain
    tapate wrote: »
    You look with your eyes.

Im partially joking, but at some point you can't plead ignorance after a year or two of doing the same thing.

yep,people are not stupid.they see others working and either choose to or laff at us and stay on the govt teat.looks like one more great idea from the DEMS has failed.poverty still here.their are smart peeps,then folks with common sense.some very smart people with good intentions came up with welfare,then the pols went and used it to buy votes the past 50 years.
    You look with your eyes.

Read what Nat wrote. I'm not defending the deal anymore than he is but he's right.

If you don't know any better, you don't know. And if you don't know, how do you know what to ask?

It doesn't matter how much you look with your eyes. If you can't comprehend what you see, you won't know what you're looking at.

Rabbi Hillel (c20 BCE)
  • wishfishinwishfishin Posts: 4,080 Officer
    For the record, I know just as many college educated sorry **** as I do uneducated sorry ****.
    1268964408215_zps1ab1a85e.gif
  • reel estatereel estate Posts: 1,402 Officer
    My mom weilded a nasty wooden spoon... :wink
  • trout069trout069 Posts: 4,052 Captain
    same here foot.dad left us in 92,my son has watched me work ot and take call nearly year round(he was on a lot of calls with me),to make sure he did not want.At the same time he saw my ex bled her church dry and not hit a lick.He works and goes to school and hates to ask me for money for school.Told him that school money no problem,cause 1 day he will be changing my adult diaper!my neice and nephew dont quite get it,a little spoiled.my nephew saw me doing dishes at tgiving and said something to grandma,she told him i had been doing dishes the whole time and who did he think didem at my crib,since i am single.good thing is he wants 2 work when he turns 16.poor kid probaly heard about doing housework from hhi to savannah,and my bro goes the long way.

Rabbi Hillel (c20 BCE)
    wishfishin wrote: »
    For the record, I know just as many college educated sorry **** as I do uneducated sorry ****.

Since I never went to college, at least I know I'm on an equal footing. :)

Rabbi Hillel (c20 BCE)
  • wishfishinwishfishin Posts: 4,080 Officer
    Since I never went to college, at least I know I'm on an equal footing. :)

The education you got doesn't award diplomas. :wink
    1268964408215_zps1ab1a85e.gif
    Read what Nat wrote. I'm not defending the deal anymore than he is but he's right.

If you don't know any better, you don't know. And if you don't know, how do you know what to ask?

It doesn't matter how much you look with your eyes. If you can't comprehend what you see, you won't know what you're looking at.

I think the society in the wagon is more of a "Dumb like a Fox" Society, rather than I can't look at what people have and comprehend how to better ones self or get there. Most have mastered how to not lose govt benefits and have worked hard at mastering it . They know the programs, ways around regs, and when and how to duck the payback. I was picking up a police report for a customer when I over heard a woman cuzzing what I presume to be her daughter down for applying for a job. Said it would decrease her benefits... Kid looked around and saw a way to better but mom wanted the free $.

Every kid at the school a family friend teaches at has an iphone. This is not a iphone type school. The kids taught my friend how to go down to the Vzw store to get upgraded and on the "plan". Knowing the system inside and out...

This drug free to get benefits is a START...

my .02. It was cheap.
    Most have mastered how to not lose govt benefits and have worked hard at mastering it . They know the programs, ways around regs, and when and how to duck the payback. .

They could definitely work in Washington. :grin
    wishfishin wrote: »

That is true, I know one of the most book smart people on the planet UGA grad - his sorry *** lives in Albany and has done nothing with his adult life besides drink and drugs...his Grandfather left him $$$, he spent all that and now sucks off anything that will be stupid enough to give to him, most likley he just down to stealing...

now more like that too, most in Albany - the sorry acees who couldn't or would not get off the ****...adults now with nothing - refuse to work, etc I don't get and don't waste time on em
    They is every where homie
  • UgahewesUgahewes Posts: 5,321 Officer

I agree with a lot but also disagree, all these kids and adults that are out breaking the law and gang banging know its wrong they just choose that life because thats what they were raised around and what their friends did, alot of bad choices, ignorance is not a excuse, there are always a exception to the rule and I understand that im not dumb but most are life style choices
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • jcbcpajcbcpa Posts: 1,384 Officer
    Ugahewes wrote: »
    I agree with a lot but also disagree, all these kids and adults that are out breaking the law and gang banging know its wrong they just choose that life because thats what they were raised around and what their friends did, alot of bad choices, ignorance is not a excuse, there are always a exception to the rule and I understand that im not dumb but most are life style choices

:Agree
    The intelligent man finds almost everything ridiculous, the sensible man hardly anything.
    Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file