Captiva in January

thesmaywaythesmayway Posts: 7 Greenhorn
The family and I are staying on captiva for a week in January. Can anyone let me know if it is worth bringing fly tackle along then? Is there good fishing to be had on the flats or wading the surf this time of year? I appreciate any information, thanks!

Replies

• Permit RatPermit Rat Posts: 2,283 Captain
    I would ALWAYS bring a fly rod, wherever I go!!! I don't know about the beach....certainly no snook there at that time. What I would do is rent a kayak and explore the Ding Darling preserve on Sanibel (right next door) If the water is warm enough, you'll be able to catch snook and reds in and around the mangroves and this area is protected from high winds.
    .......Rick
  • saltybumsaltybum Posts: 1,562 Captain
    X2. Caught a 42" red on my 8wt New Years Day in central Brevard wading w/o waders it was so nice this past winter.
  • thesmaywaythesmayway Posts: 7 Greenhorn
    awesome. Thanks guys I can't wait! What about sea trout? I'm a novice to salt fly fishing (from PA) and i'm just going off what a buddy that used to live in FL told me and what i'm reading online. we are staying right on the water so if I can fish from the beach or do some wading that would be awesome
    Well only a week left until we leave for captiva. I've been watching the reports and plan in stoping in a few times at the shop in sanibel to puck up some flies. I just picked up my first saltwater fly rod a 9` 8wt redington crosswater combos for $50!! How has the land based fly fishing been? Can you guys give me An idea what kind of leader and tippet to use?
  • lemaymiamilemaymiami Posts: 2,860 Captain
    Here's what I just posted on leaders over on another site... This simple system will do quite well for most of the fish you'll encounter... Good luck

http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php?showtopic=70566
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
    That's a good tip and it brings up another question... Do most tie your own leaders for saltwater? I'm used to buying pre tapered a.d adding tippet as needed for freshwater. If i follow that leader fecipe can i use mono or i need fluorocarbon? I was thinking mono for the butt and flouro for tippet. Thoughts?
  • MUSKEGON MANMUSKEGON MAN Posts: 51 Deckhand
    I always add a shock tippet to my leaders. Doesn't seem to bother the fish, and you never know when a "toothy" critter will show up.
  • Gladesman1Gladesman1 Posts: 47 Deckhand
    Captiva by shore is a mixed bag this time of year. Snook, reds, jack and trout are all possible. Maybe even a stray tarpon. Going with Probabilities it may be tough. The ding darling recommondation is the best one. Next door however is a 20 minute drive but one well worth it. Great bird life, a fun easy kayak and your best chance of fish away from the wind. I am leaving for Sanibel tomorrow for a week (an annual trip). Will post on how I do for you.
    Thanks gladesman, id appreciate that
  • lemaymiamilemaymiami Posts: 2,860 Captain
    ...and if it's cold when you're at Captiva..... consider fishing miles south down in the Ten Thousand Islands around Chokoloskee/Everglades City. The water there will just enough warmer to make all the difference if it's cold up in Captiva.
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file