Penn Slammer - Is there a new version coming out or is it being discontinued?

shallowflyshallowfly Posts: 17 Greenhorn
I have 2 Slammers now and I need to add a new reel for casting the flats for snook and reds with artificials. I like my Slammers and noticed they are non existent at the stores. Checked out the new Spinfisher V and thought it was an awesome reel but without the long spool didnt think it was the right reel for this application. Also love the Penn Conquer which seems to fit the bill but little more than I want too spend. Can you let us know if there is a new model Slammer coming out and when or if not what reel will replace it or should I look at for in this category.

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• PENNPENN Posts: 366 Officer
    Yes the Slammer series is discontinued. We took the best of the old Spinfisher (SSG/SSM) and Slammer and made the new Spinfisher V so the direct replacement for the slammer is the SSV. Sounds like the SSV3500 or SSV4500 would work very well for what you are doing. Are you using mono or braid?
  • shallowflyshallowfly Posts: 17 Greenhorn
    Well the Spinfisher V was really nice especially the new bail design and the black bail wire just looked good. I am using braid and putting it on a 7.6 Redbone MH.
    So you feel the spool on the Spinfisher V even though not a long cast spool will still cast the braid as far as the Penn Slammer or is it a long cast spool design and I just didnt notice because it said Spinfisher and I just assumed it was the same design as in the past?
    One additional question this one specifically on the Slammer drag. What is the correct procedure for taking apart the spool and cleaning the drag when one loses the ability to change the drag tension.
    The SSV spool is very similar to the Slammer spool, the biggest differences are in the spool lip design and the SSV has the superline band for tying braid directly to the spool arbor. We improved the spool lip on the SSV so that it casts much better then the Slammer. You will have no issues casting just as good or better with the SSV.
    The drag design is very similar to the Slammer design so if you are use to taking a Slammer drag system apart then you will have no problems with the SSV. The SSV drag system has one HT-100 washer on top of the spool and has two large HT-100 drag washers underneath the spool. To remove the washers from under the spool just remove the three screws holding the retainer plate on an the drag washers can easily be removed. The washers come greased from the factory with PENN blue grease for smoothness and longevity. When re-greasing the drag washers just apply a small coat on both sides using your fingers.
    Concerning drag it is a very simple system and I did exactly what you said and still no tension control via the drag knob. I thought maybe the little bit of grease I put on was causing the problem but not so apparently. I will take apart both my Slammers apart and see if I can find a difference between the two. Thanks for your prompt responses makes me like Penn even more and solidifies my new reel will be another Penn.
    Sorry if I did not catch this already Shallowfly but do you have an SSV that you are taking apart?
    I had 2 questions in this thread one about purchasing a new reel and one about fixing so sorry to confuse but you did answer both in full.

Question 1 was: trying to fix one of my Slammers drag (lost ability to put pressure on drag) and you described the correct way to take apart that reel and clean. However it did not fix my reel so I need to revisit

Question 2 was: I am also shopping for a new reel, an addition not a replacement and like my Slammers but could no longer find in stores, and you recommended the SSV as the replacement to the Slammer which is discontinued. However no local stores have stock at the moment so need you guys to produce more SSV reels so I can :fishing!

Thanks again for your courtesy!
    No worries, as for the Slammer drag does the drag knob tighten all the way down until it can't tighten anymore or does it just keep spinning? PM use your #, we can work this out a lot faster over the phone. It may take some time for the SSV's to start showing up at retail because of the high demand but another reel to look at is the Battle.
    check your PM
    PENN wrote: »
    No worries, as for the Slammer drag does the drag knob tighten all the way down until it can't tighten anymore or does it just keep spinning? PM use your #, we can work this out a lot faster over the phone. It may take some time for the SSV's to start showing up at retail because of the high demand but another reel to look at is the Battle.
    3:40 PM... Called Penn's corporate office in PA. Quickly got a technician who was super helpful and gave me the part number I needed, transferred me to the parts department and within 5 min from the start of the call the parts were ordered shipping out the next day $1.89 plus tax and shipping. Great customer service Penn!
  • Prop BlastProp Blast Posts: 375 Officer
    Change of topic on the Spinfisher V.

I heard there was a recall of sorts on the first production run. Is that correct? How do we tell if the reel is the updated version?

Thanks,

PB
  • congoman775congoman775 Posts: 1,388 Officer
    Prop Blast wrote: »
    Change of topic on the Spinfisher V.

I heard there was a recall of sorts on the first production run. Is that correct? How do we tell if the reel is the updated version?

Thanks,

PB

Interested
  • TunanorthTunanorth Posts: 125 Deckhand
    Link to post #340 dated 10/19 that has a photo of what to look for.
    http://www.stripersonline.com/t/852898/penn-spinfisher-v/330
    Penn Pro Staffer
    "The best kind of fish in the world is the one on the end of your line"

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file