Flamingo. Worth a try

I have only fished the back country, but am anxious to try out front. I have no clue of where to go to be successful. Not asking for secret spots, but if you wanna share that would be great. I'm heading down next week. Anybody wanna help a fellow florida sportsman member out. Hoping to target redfish, snook, trout, and snapper. Thanks for any help!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] 17' release with suzuki 140 four stroke, and 26' century center console with a yamaha 300 HPDI

Replies

• flatsstalkerflatsstalker Posts: 469 Officer
    Schoolies wrote: »
    I have only fished the back country, but am anxious to try out front. I have no clue of where to go to be successful. Not asking for secret spots, but if you wanna share that would be great. I'm heading down next week. Anybody wanna help a fellow florida sportsman member out. Hoping to target redfish, snook, trout, and snapper. Thanks for any help!

You only fish wwbay?
    09 Beavertail BTX
    1999 18 Dolphin backcountry
  • SchooliesSchoolies Posts: 100 Officer
    Ya. I have fished all around whitewater bay. I have that area down pretty darn good. I have been fishing the backcountry for the past 25+ years. I usually fish all my spots through wwb out to the mouth of shark river. I have only tried out front one time in my time down there, and thought it would be fun to give it a try.. I'm headed down for 4 days next week and hope to fish 1 day out front then the rest of the time in wwb.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] 17' release with suzuki 140 four stroke, and 26' century center console with a yamaha 300 HPDI
    I'll be out there
    09 Beavertail BTX
  • Gettin' Jiggy!Gettin' Jiggy! Posts: 203 Officer
    I sent you a PM with a few ideas. Let me know if you need anything else.

-Rob
    Got the PM Gettin Jiggy. Thanks a bunch. Your insight will be a great help rather than going in blind. Flatsstalker, I will be down on thursday, and be coming back on Sunday. Hopefully the chickies arent all booked up, and the weather coopereates. Really looking foreword to spending a few days in paridise!
  • Gettin' Jiggy!Gettin' Jiggy! Posts: 203 Officer
    You might want to camp at the campground in case you don't find a chickee available. The ramp is around the corner and you'll be comfortable having the truck close by.
  • YakerLGYakerLG Posts: 128 Officer
    You might want to camp at the campground in case you don't find a chickee available. The ramp is around the corner and you'll be comfortable having the truck close by.

the past two trips to the flats east of the ramp have been tough. the fish did not come easy, and many boats came and went. i was in a kayak and had to rough it out.
    With these cold fronts you have to fish the creeks
    09 Beavertail BTX
    The creeks it will be. Close flamingo Thursday night then head to the back side Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. Mostly fish the creeks around graveyard and little shark. I have got lots of good spots around there.
  • lemaymiamilemaymiami Posts: 2,696 Captain
    We never saw any campsite occupied yesterday (and managed to find a variety of fish even as the front moved through). Once the wind turns back to the east / northeast you'll be in great shape. Yesterday, although the front came through and the wind howled all day, water temps were still quite high (we found lots and lots of places that still had 70 degree water even as the air temps were dropping noticeably). By today I'm sure it will be a different story. Got to love the 'Glades... when other places just aren't fishable the 'Glades still have lots of great fishing. Yesterday we caught a permit in Whitewater (about four pounds) and even jumped a giant tarpon (in the middle of a trout spot..).
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
  • KnottyBYnaturEKnottyBYnaturE Posts: 25 Greenhorn
    I'll be out there on the cape just north of the old boat dock that's broken apart, I was going to get a chicee but decided to go on the beach to build a fire probably gonna be cold. I'll be in my bay boat, goin Friday, sat & sun ...4 on board Target is tarpon, cobia, permit, gag, And traveling through Joes to avoid the wind ... Stop by and say HI, might have a cup of coffe for ya ... See y'all out there
  • IAMIAM Posts: 234 Officer
    I'm probably still goin to roll the dice and head down tomorrow. We'll be in my skiff and the targets will be cobia and snapper.
    I've never caught a permit this time of year in Flamingo, but that sounds great!

Normally I fish the northern gulf and they closed gag grouper season last October, it's closed down here as well, right?
  • lemaymiamilemaymiami Posts: 2,696 Captain
    Item number one, check out myfwc.com for fish regs. Atlantic grouper (Monroe county included) is still open (almost half of the Park is in Monroe county....). While the Gulf side is closed now the Atlantic side is closed 1 January to 30 April....

Item number two, beach camping between Lostman's and Cape Sable is great in the winter **** as long as the wind stays out of the east. If the wind starts blowing along any western quadrant or straight out of the north.....LOOK OUT! More than one guy has found out the hard way how quickly entire shorelines can move in that area when the wind is onshore... Someone, somewhere probably still has pics of skiffs driven up onto the beach and literally filled with sand to prove it.... Post the pics if you have them (and the story that went with them - we've lost our archives and that lesson would be a great one to learn before finding out the hard way....
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
    Im between flamingo or Chokoloskee. Definitely shark river and graveyard would be a great choice to fish. I'll be in a grey 18 dolphin maybe we bump into each other outthere . Taking some friends on their first flamingo or Chokoloskee experience...
    09 Beavertail BTX
  • Lunch time crowdLunch time crowd Posts: 97 Deckhand
    lowe-boy wrote: »
    schoolie,

you might want to hire a fishing consultant to show you the ropes.

This year has seen an increase of hybrid anglers looking to put people on fish, "On your boat"

try this guy as well: looking for a fishing partner:

http://forums.floridasportsman.com/showthread.php?89905-looking-for-a-serious-competative-fishing-partner[/QUOTE

What do these fishing consultants charge and what is included? It might be worth learning some new techniques and the area/fishing spots.
    @flatsstalker , I've taken 1st timers to both .... Both people had about the same to say ...
    Choko was great view but ultimately great after fishing during crab season to stop and eat.... Mingo wins every time with the drive in, trip out, and wildlife to see ... Hoping it stays cool through the week and rises Thursday and Friday makin a sick weekend ...
    @iam. ... Hooked into a monster permit 2 weeks ago in the nastiest weather I'd ever Been into taking 6 footers over bow, had to sit down on the floor to just stay in the boat , ran the hell out of my little penn battle 4k and then snap ... Gotta go find him for revenge, just picked up today at bass pro and 7k ...p.s. Santa has overcome the place ..lol

@lemay ... I'm right around the corner from you in pines and I need a few jig heads, don't know if you're around this week but ill call you to pick some up... Thanks
  • IAMIAM Posts: 234 Officer
    No itemization needed. I was just asking about the grouper regs here because they have become very complex, and if you are familiar with the regs, they are even more complex in the northern gulf where I live. I do appreciate the info in general, though, because I would love to catch some gaggies for the fryer!

I'm hoping tomorrow is nice weather because at this point I'm thinking to go. I miss Flamingo!
  • HialeahAnglerHialeahAngler Posts: 9,601 Officer
    there is always fish in flamingo. just gotta have some good spots, and good ideas and how to use them. go for it.
    friedpeacocks.jpg
  • heavychevy15heavychevy15 Posts: 835 Officer
    do you guys reserve the day before for a chickee? im planning on going this week sometime, since i live down the street of the park i was gonna go reserve the day before. sorry not trying to hijack the thread.

also which chikees do you prefer on the inside? just trying to plan my trip out as i have never stayed over night.
    bc1da2c4-399a-44b7-aa11-cbf910301ba3_zpsccb1a08f.png
    btw sent you a PM about the outside
    The problem with the chickies is you have to register the day you get there. They don't open till 8 am. That kinda kills the fishing morning that you get there. I like to stay at north joe river, oyster bay, Harney, or shark river. Chickie camping is a good time. Have fun. Let us know how it goes. I'm a stoked about getting down there Thursday. Thursday and Friday it will just be a buddy and myself. Saturday and Sunday we have 8 friends joining us. Should be a blast!
  • Pucker FactorPucker Factor Posts: 870 Officer
    We have signed up the day before. The problem is you have to go all the way to Flamingo or Choko the day before.

"Permits are only issued the day before or the day of the start of your camping trip."

Always good to call and chat with someone that is actually involved with the process.
    Going the day before is not an option for me. Flamingo is 90 miles from my door to the ramp. I wouldn't do a 180 mile trip to just register.
    I thought you registered at the entrance of the park. It's all the way down in Flamingo? I tried callin not long ago but they gave me the run around
  • Pucker FactorPucker Factor Posts: 870 Officer
    From my last experience with looking into doing it the day before our departure, the only place to sign up for launching at Flamingo campsites, is Flamingo. The rationale I believe is so the two ENP districts do not double book. If there was a 3rd and fourth office, this could happen frequently.

I did see on the www about a year ago, the NPS trying to establish an on line campsite reservation system. Not sure if it will be used by ENP as it was a NPS national initiative.
    You're gonna have a blast, take a heater if you stay in joes, it's gonna be cold ... Put a line in te water with a chunk of lady fish on a bobber over night, nothing like a fire drill while your line is screaming out with a nice 100lbs bull shark at the end. Shhh don't tell anyone. Lol... Sign up is at reservation over by marina I expect there will be a few people waiting being that its going to be great weather. If all Fails look for us out on cape by the old dock ... Camp on beach and fish all night for sideliners and poons ...

Gonna find that permit that robbed me !!!
  • slickster57slickster57 Posts: 142 Officer
    Good info here...heading down that way next week, will try to get a chickee but if full then we camp on the beach...what is the preferred way to fish shark river?....what about bait?...net white bait or is it gulp shrimp and artificial bait....had an incredible time last year...will be in a 22ft panga....weather looks like it will hold...:)
    You will do good with shrimp , lady fish preferably.
    09 Beavertail BTX
    I like to fish the creeks to the south of little shark river. If you can catch live bait, you are better off. If no live bait we like to use buck tails tipped with shrimp, or gulps catch em too. My last trip down I tried out the new yo Zuri shrimp, and out fished the others on board at least 5 to 1. Made me a believer. I was using the chartreuse color. There is a saying, if it aint chartreuse it aint no use. I agree in some regards. I have always done very very well on root beer colored buck tails tipped with shrimp in that area.

As for live bait slickster 57, at the mouth of shark river look for the birds/pelicans diving. If you see them, you know where to get bait. One toss so the cast net usually lands more than a days worth of bait. Be sure to post how you do here if you make it down.

Knottybynature, we will see how registration goes, and what the wind direction is. Camping on the beach is amazing. My first camping trip was when I was a young kid in the 80's. we stayed at middle cape. Have done it a few times in the past few years. The pictures a few years ago with the 3 boats completely buried scares me with the beach sites.

Funny story. We were camping on middle cape back in the 80's. we had a camp fire burning. Down he beach about 100 feet away another group had a fire crackling. We are just sitting around when all of the sudden a boat is approaching us at a pretty good clip. I will never forget my old pops saying " what in the hell is this *ss hole doing?" Well no sooner did he get that out of his mouth the boat ran up on the beach running full out. The drunk dummy thought that our 2 camp fires were channel markers. Classic. Probably never see that kind of stupidity now that there is GPS.
    Schoolie your talking about the yozuri crystal shrimp? Cause i have tried it and it out fished my mirrodines
    09 Beavertail BTX

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file