What jobs that you consider menial have you held?

• acarbacarb Posts: 2,351 Officer
    Stacking bailed hay,cleaning stalls and pretty much anything to do with a horse barn in my early teens. That was the worst, hands down.I worked at a car lot right after i got my drivers license as a lot boy. Min wage. I got to drive some cool cars around and use the owners pool house like it was mine. His wife was smokin hot and loved her some lot boy.:grin
    The best summer of my young life!
  • CaptTaterCaptTater Posts: 20,096 Officer
    No speakers. Basically I took the truck home at night and plugged it in after the days sales. In the morning I would drive to the warehouse in Boca and count my stuff, give the company what the COGS was, and keep the rest, than re-stock. No worries, I always targeted affluent neighborhoods for sales not the sticks, the stuff wasn't cheap :)

I bought a load of that stuff in gainesville. About $400 worth. I was packaged well and lasted well. It was a good value except for the stuff I don't like like salmon. I got a stack of steak, pork chops, red snapper was great, crap etc. Per lb it was a good deal but if I did it again it would be on my terms and only what I wanted. I would have called the ASO on you as a suspicious person.
    I did not read the story but if you take tax payers money maybe you should be held to some standards.-Cyclist
    when we say the same thing about welfare recipients, you cry like a wounded buffalo Sopchoppy
    It's their money, they spend it how they like. Truth and honesty have nothing to do with it. - Mr Jr
    "“A radical is one who advocates sweeping changes in the existing laws and methods of government.” "
  • FloydFloyd ; in N. Tampa or DownEast MainePosts: 1,067 Officer
    My dad always said I'd be digging ditches for a living if I didn't go to college, so I went to USF. When summer came I needed some extra cash and the guy that came out to fix the septic system at my rented house offerred me a job as his helper. I was digging ditches. That was a long summer.

The next summer I got a job on a landscaping crew. One day the boss had us laying a truckload of sod. That was menial labor in the summer heat. I remember that the boss had a heat stroke, so after that he allowed us more breaks and plenty of water.
    Recording from Moderators annual meeting: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DuABc9ZNtrA
  • Hickory DogHickory Dog Posts: 5,047 Officer
    Polar wrote: »
    Hick dog is having fun talking to himself lol

Translation - your buddy Mitch has once again scuttled off to the shadows like a cockroach once it is time to put up or shut up.
  • CaptTaterCaptTater Posts: 20,096 Officer

who? :)
    Funny because mitch spoke many times about working on a farm and what a bad *** he was slinging hay and such. Must have been a yankee farm with 5lb bales.
    I did not read the story but if you take tax payers money maybe you should be held to some standards.-Cyclist
    when we say the same thing about welfare recipients, you cry like a wounded buffalo Sopchoppy
    It's their money, they spend it how they like. Truth and honesty have nothing to do with it. - Mr Jr
    "“A radical is one who advocates sweeping changes in the existing laws and methods of government.” "
  • Next LevelNext Level Posts: 2,963 Captain

What did you expect from a guy willing to take a picture of himself standing in knee deep cow crap to prove a mindless point.
  • Ol MuckyOl Mucky Posts: 5,471 Admiral
    picked okra
    dug ditches for a plumber
    flip burgers
    I'll stop there the list is waaay to long
    I have a much bigger and more powerful button
  • cprcpr Posts: 9,195 Admiral
    Garbage slinger (sorting paper and plastic out of food waste to be sent to a piggery) $50 a month. I was 14
    Window washer 15 $2.50 and hour
    bag boy in a supermarket 16 what ever minimum wage was in 74
    day labor at 17 then factory loading dock and stock-boy all MW
    Then I got smart and became a lifeguard for the next five years while I was in college. $9.00 an hour
    "The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function." F. Scott Fitzgerald

"Prediction is very difficult, especially if it's about the future." Niels Bohr
  • Mister-JrMister-Jr Posts: 25,916 AG
    Work is work, there are no menial jobs.
    Vote for the other candidate
  • PolarPolar Lake WorthPosts: 22,261 AG
    I has a salesperson at a clothing store in the old Delray Mall that sold clothing to mainly Hatian folk
  • ontheedge5658ontheedge5658 Posts: 2,658 Officer
    Worked as a Gynecoligist on Sunday's at local flea market
  • Fish HaidFish Haid Posts: 7,789 Admiral
    **** Donor. (not Doner)
  • tankardtankard Posts: 6,237 Admiral
    FS forum moderator.

But the pay is outstanding.
  • FlashFlash Posts: 11,016 AG
    Loaded semis with tires
    Auto parts stocker
    Made eyeglasses

Can't even remember the pay involved.

Never seem more learned than the people you are with. Wear your learning like a pocket watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked. --- Lord Chesterfield
  • Fish HaidFish Haid Posts: 7,789 Admiral
    tankard wrote: »
    FS forum moderator.

But the pay is outstanding.

Is that more menial than raising mosquitoes?
  • jakedgejakedge Posts: 1,302 Officer
    Worked at Burger King. $1.65/hr in 1972
    Shoveled out under chicken houses.
    Drilled the holes in stainless hoops for spokes in a boat steering wheel factory.
    Deckhand on charter boats. Cut bait, filet fish, clean up Canadian vomit.
    Ran gas stations. Public restrooms. People are animals.
  • mikevmikev Posts: 10,822 Officer
    Potato farm. I was the bag sewer. $2/hr.
    Forklift/truck loader - $8/hr
    Construction day labor - don't remember how much.
    "The only people that tell you it can't be done are the people who haven't done it themselves."
  • FS JimFS Jim Posts: 474 Officer
    I scrapped gum off the bottom of school desks/chairs, unplugged clogged toilets, cleaned windows, mopped/striped/waxed floors, washed walls, swept up piles of crack viles, beer bottles, used rubbers, etc, etc during my summers back in the 80's. We where putting NYC Board of Ed high schools back together after the school year. 7am - 5pm. One hour lunch, one 15 min break, hot as hell, no A/C, and thankful to have that job. Then as now it was a union job that paid this happy 16/17/18 year old kid $11/hr. That was big money back in the day. When I got home from that job I valet parked cars from 7pm-11pm Thur-Sundays nights. Got home and slept like a rock. Those where some great days.. I tell my kids about all that we did to earn a buck, and how hard we worked and they look at me like I'm crazy. How times have changed.
  • ParkerboyParkerboy Posts: 6,756 Admiral
    Too many to count for me.
    Worked one summer for a roofing company-**** near killed me carrying 90lb rolls of tarpaper up ladders
    Next summer **** near died carrying concrete blocks for masons
    Cut, baled, hauled hay

One of the most fun was in highschool I worked in a gas station when it was full service, Pumped gas, washed windshields especially for the ladies wearing short skirts, changed oil and repaired flats. Had a lot of fun on that job.
    Deo Vindice
  • MRichardsonMRichardson Posts: 5,933 Admiral
    Cattle rustlin' on foot, slippin n slidin in cowpies.
    Golf course maintenance.
    10 days of kitchen work.

There are days when menial work sounds attractive again though.
  • TriplecleanTripleclean Posts: 6,591 Officer
    Laying sewer main and all pipe laying. Stand in a trench 10+ feet in the ground and wait for the maching to dig and bring the next pipe down all the while watching for cave-ins.
  • bottom feederbottom feeder Posts: 844 Officer
    When I was a kid a farmer at a turkey farm said he'd give me 25 cents for every rat I could shoot. All I had was half a box of 22longs. I used about a dozen to kill 4. He gave me a dollar, I went to town and bought a box of 22 birdshot. I killed 40 with 42 shells. He gave me my ten and said that was enough.

Leaving Florida... take a developer with you!

• SAENoleSAENole Posts: 9,573 Admiral
    A world of pain, Hickory Dog has entered.
    I may be entitled to compensation.
  • publichunterpublichunter Posts: 1,066 Officer
    I started a menial job business a year or so out of highschool and it's basically all I've ever done. I'm a ditch digger, branch toter, weed puller, leaf raker, grass cutter and poo runner overer. Before that I was a roofer for a summer and a busboy for a total of about 6 months. Figured if I was going to do the dirty work I might as well do it for myself.
  • sk018sk018 Posts: 2,673 Captain
    Not menial, they were jobs ..
    Worked for a tree company putting logs in the chipper when i was 15.
    Landscaping various summers etc
    roofing in south FL most summers during college, metal roofs were like a microwave. Did this for 6 months and worked as a bouncer at night after graduating from college while on the job search...

Sometimes I miss the roofing now that I am in an office all day every day... crew was great and I was outside and in great shape from walking up ladders, carrying heavy chit and standing on roofs all day. The pay is a little better now though LOL
  • PolarPolar Lake WorthPosts: 22,261 AG
    a/c contractor in south Florida
    and eggplant farmer
  • BeastieBeastie Bokeelia, FLPosts: 861 Officer
    Cage dancer at a gay night club.
    That's back when I had lifeless eyes, black eyes, like a doll's
  • dewyafishdewyafish Posts: 4,929 Captain
    Okra picker wins.
    There's nothing more enjoyable than suprise morning sex...
    Unless you happen to be in jail at the time.
  • CaptCamelCaptCamel Posts: 703 Officer
    I used to have to sing to the chickens so they'd lay better, .10 a day
    This here river don't go to Aintree....................................
  • DaziggDazigg Posts: 206 Officer
    I was not a pencil maker one time.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file