Found some old tools while in North Carolina (pics posted)

Replies

• got ants?got ants? Posts: 9,140 Officer
    Actually, though similar, the first one is now looking like that tool to trim the horse's hoof. the one for trimming planks would be bigger, and used by two guys.
    tffflogocopy_zps48a02f99.jpg
  • got ants?got ants? Posts: 9,140 Officer
    The compass is used to measure hores shoes.
    tffflogocopy_zps48a02f99.jpg
  • FlashFlash Posts: 11,006 AG
    got ants? wrote: »
    Actually, though similar, the first one is now looking like that tool to trim the horse's hoof. the one for trimming planks would be bigger, and used by two guys.

I do have two different sizes, one is 14 inches from handle to handle the second one is 19 inches.
    My wife just informed me that there were two previous owners and the tools all got combined.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Never seem more learned than the people you are with. Wear your learning like a pocket watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked. --- Lord Chesterfield
  • PopeyePopeye Posts: 14,296 Officer
    Brady, youre nuts.

Stick to your orchids!
    When I was younger, I could remember anything...

whether it had happened or not.

Mark Twain
  • hooknlinehooknline Posts: 5,278 Officer
    Flash wrote: »
    I do have two different sizes, one is 14 inches from handle to handle the second one is 19 inches.
    My wife just informed me that there were two previous owners and the tools all got combined.
    Those are draw knives then. Too big for horse use unless they were Clydesdales
    If I say something that offends you, please let me know so I can say it again later

1322773200_30_1_USD_3.50_default.png
  • HoltHolt Posts: 971 Officer
    OK on the second pic...the big pliers looking things. This may have been an off label use but back in the day I worked in shoe stores(need to post in the menial jobs thread). Every store had one of those . The ball went into the toe of a ladies shoe that was too tight. Squeeze and it pushed the leather into the hole and stretched it thus giving Mrs. Bigfoot a bit more room in those Sunday pumps she had to have. No doubt about it...this is what we used. It may have been made for something else but every ladies shoe store had one. It helped sell shoes!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • PopeyePopeye Posts: 14,296 Officer
    Holt wrote: »
    OK on the second pic...the big pliers looking things. This may have been an off label use but back in the day I worked in shoe stores(need to post in the menial jobs thread). Every store had one of those . The ball went into the toe of a ladies shoe that was too tight. Squeeze and it pushed the leather into the hole and stretched it thus giving Mrs. Bigfoot a bit more room in those Sunday pumps she had to have. No doubt about it...this is what we used. It may have been made for something else but every ladies shoe store had one. It helped sell shoes!

Youre crazier than a shizzhouse rat.
    When I was younger, I could remember anything...

whether it had happened or not.

Mark Twain
  • yak_angleryak_angler Posts: 2,583 Officer
    Now we all know he can't post pics until they are a few years old, like his cooking pics. :grin

:cool
    5607_aa5e_zps24435aae.gif
    Popeye wrote: »

My wife sure thinks so! Thinking some more I believe the ones we had would have had more of a loop channel lock style handles. Same thing on the other end though.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Popeye wrote: »

Yeah, I am not so sure these guys worked with ladies shoes. :huh
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Never seem more learned than the people you are with. Wear your learning like a pocket watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked. --- Lord Chesterfield
    Now we all know he can't post pics until they are a few years old, like his cooking pics. :grin

For PD, since he obviously has to go out to eat. :grin

Stuffed smoked Pablano peppers, done last night. :blowkiss
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Yeah, I am not so sure these guys worked with ladies shoes. :huh

Whatever. Not sure of the size of what you have there but the tool we would use was 20-24" long. Heavy steel. We had to use soft cloth over the hole where it touched the outside of the finish on the she so it would not mar it or tear the leather. Do you really think I would make this up? That is exactly what the tool looked like except it had a a different handle. Like I said, it is probable that the shoe guys adapted something from another use for this. You don't have to tell anyone as it's hanging on your pole barn wall that I said it's a ladies shoe stretcher...LOL!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Whatever. Not sure of the size of what you have there but the tool we would use was 20-24" long. Heavy steel. We had to use soft cloth over the hole where it touched the outside of the finish on the she so it would not mar it or tear the leather. Do you really think I would make this up? That is exactly what the tool looked like except it had a a different handle. Like I said, it is probable that the shoe guys adapted something from another use for this. You don't have to tell anyone as it's hanging on your pole barn wall that I said it's a ladies shoe stretcher...LOL!

I would say they are easily that length Holt. Maybe he used them for something else. There is some writing on the side. I will try and see if I can make it out.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Best I can make out is +++++ning, Fulton, Ill.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• ChuddybuckrivetChuddybuckrivet Posts: 3,156 Officer
    stringle wrote: »
    Like a **** I tried this last month with a pipe wrench...DO NOT DO IT.

What did the coke do? Nothing I'm guessing?
  • tennmiketennmike Posts: 400 Officer
    Stuff works pretty good. Here are some pics. Some stuff is obvious, but some not. Anyone know what they are, let me know.

That thing with the pliers handles is used to set the offset (set the drag) on a handsaw after sharpening.
    Something about Fulton Ill. Rings a bell in my head. Like we had a lot of shoe tools made there. Not sure. We had a whole box of different types of shoe stretchers. That was for the toe of pointy ladies shoes or to ease the spot where a bunion would be painful.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Michael RepperMichael Repper Posts: 4,897 Officer
    Looks like you got yourself a bunion stretcher!

80380-2.jpg?1352897136

Finally! A Stretcher that is the ultimate solution for people with bunion issues. If your favorite pair of shoes is in need of stretching only in one particular spot, this is what you really need. This well constructed heavy cast iron gadget can be clamped on for easy stretching. With the help of this amazing stretcher, shoes could be left to stretch naturally overnight. Use of our shoe stretcher solution is recommended for best results. One size fits all.

Suggested use of Ball & ring shoe stretcher :

Place ball part on inside and ring part on the outside of shoe at the point that is causing trouble.
    Put pressure on by hand until there is sufficient stretch of the leather into the ring.
    Hold it with one hand and screw down the knob with other hand to hold it in place.

DO NOT APPLY EXCESSIVE PRESSURE BY MEANS OF THE SCREW KNOB.

Let stand several hours. Repeat if needed.

http://www.shoetreemarketplace.com/Professional_Ball_and_Ring_bunion_stretcher_p/80380.htm
  • Michael RepperMichael Repper Posts: 4,897 Officer
    Something about Fulton Ill. Rings a bell in my head. Like we had a lot of shoe tools made there. Not sure. We had a whole box of different types of shoe stretchers. That was for the toe of pointy ladies shoes or to ease the spot where a bunion would be painful.

Tons of them come up under "bunion stretcher" on Google images: https://www.google.com/search?q=bunion+stretcher&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-beta&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hl=en&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&ei=f8HIUJ-7JcaCqgGO_oCIAg&biw=1920&bih=976&sei=gcHIUJ6tNImhqwGD24CwDw
  • ParkerboyParkerboy Posts: 6,743 Admiral
    got ants? wrote: »
    First pic, wood planer (fer log cabins, mostly to remove the bark).
    Clever

Technicaly the item in the first picture in NOT a plane. It is a drawing knife. As the name implies on draws the knife towards you thereby shaving the wood down. If desired one can then use a plane to level and fine tune the wood being worked upon.
    Deo Vindice
  • Old E.Old E. Posts: 596 Officer
    I actually just bought myself a vintage Greenlee draw knife off ebay. It has a straight edge, as opposed to the curved in the pic posted. Could use some sharpening. It is my intention to get a curved blade model as well.
  • Baits OutBaits Out Posts: 12,250 AG
    The first pic is a drawknife.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drawknife

It is a relatively crude tool but has many uses limited only by the skill of the woodworker.

After using the drawknife one could move to a more sophisticate hand tool like the spokeshave.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spokeshave

Think I still have a couple of those somewhere around here.
    I’m only responsible for what I say -- not for what others think they understand.

Be careful when you follow the masses. Sometimes the "m" is silent.

America! Keep calm and return fire.

:USA

Yes that's it Repper. Thanks. Didn't think to toogle it. Who is full of it now Poopeye ? Like any of us had any question. Sorry it was not something cooler Flash.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • 2true2true Posts: 2,110 Officer
    Holt-1 Popeye -0
    picture-182589.gif
  • stringlestringle Posts: 462 Officer
    What did the coke do? Nothing I'm guessing?

More rust. I would hate for the OP to do that with vintage items.
  • cadmancadman Home of the Gators Posts: 23,059 AG
    This is a Scratch Awl not a plumb bob. No place for the string and Plumb Bobs are metal.

Mini Mart Magnate

• cadmancadman Home of the Gators Posts: 23,059 AG

Third one down on he right looks like some kind of gauge pliers maybe?

Second one down is a wing divider or compass.

First could be a rivot hammer

I think some of these are tools used with leather making. The scratch awl could be a sewing awl. The shoe pliers thing is a leather tool.

Mini Mart Magnate

Had one old friend tell me it was used on leather products in general, not just shoes.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

cadman wrote: »
    This is a Scratch Awl not a plumb bob. No place for the string and Plumb Bobs are metal.

I was wondering more about this tool. It actually has an opening thru the middle of the wood from one side to the other. I'll take a few more pics after I get back from my trip to Orlando.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Looks like you got yourself a bunion stretcher!

80380-2.jpg?1352897136

Finally! A Stretcher that is the ultimate solution for people with bunion issues. If your favorite pair of shoes is in need of stretching only in one particular spot, this is what you really need. This well constructed heavy cast iron gadget can be clamped on for easy stretching. With the help of this amazing stretcher, shoes could be left to stretch naturally overnight. Use of our shoe stretcher solution is recommended for best results. One size fits all.

Suggested use of Ball & ring shoe stretcher :

Place ball part on inside and ring part on the outside of shoe at the point that is causing trouble.
    Put pressure on by hand until there is sufficient stretch of the leather into the ring.
    Hold it with one hand and screw down the knob with other hand to hold it in place.

DO NOT APPLY EXCESSIVE PRESSURE BY MEANS OF THE SCREW KNOB.

Let stand several hours. Repeat if needed.

http://www.shoetreemarketplace.com/Professional_Ball_and_Ring_bunion_stretcher_p/80380.htm

Funny, this one does not have the attachments there at the handles. :huh
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file