If you could take 3 or 4 day fishing trip anywhere in FL where would it be?

crghsscrghss Posts: 143 Deckhand
I have a week off starting next Sunday. I'm loading up the yak and camping gear and heading out.

So if you could spend 3 or 4 days anywhere in Florida kayak fishing where would you go?

Weather looks good for the Mosquito Lagoon so I may start there and then move on to somewhere else.

Replies

• MaLMaL Posts: 176 Officer
    dont know about most specific places, but I'd go west to PCB and camp in st andrews state park for $35 a night i think.
    very quick access to both the lagoon and gulf, pier and jetty to fish from if you dont feel like venturing out on the kayak or doing some shore-based night fishing etc.
    always did want to paddle from st andrews across to the island to the east of the park.

but i live in tallahassee, and pcb isn't too far away so its a logical choice for me. plus i lived there for a year or two so im somewhat familiar with the area.

otherwise... somewhere in south florida just because ive never been there and i hear its pretty good all over down there.
    maybe as far down as the keys.
  • sagorysagory Posts: 614 Officer
    A couple of my friends took the ferry to the dry tortugas and camped there. Pretty sure they brought their kayaks with them. They said it was really cool
  • jakedgejakedge Posts: 1,302 Officer
    Three day fishing trip to the Tortugas is a good idea. I'd prefer a boat though. Jump on the Yankee Capts!
  • bottom feederbottom feeder Posts: 844 Officer
    X2 on the Yankee.

Leaving Florida... take a developer with you!

• nuclearfishnnuclearfishn Posts: 8,353 Admiral
    Key West
  • Chuck DChuck D Posts: 427 Officer
    My vote is for the mosquito lagoon, but I've heard great things about flamingo.
  • Joupdog1Joupdog1 Posts: 1,416 Officer
    Right here in Stuart FL! Couldn't ask for a better all around fishery
  • Jim311Jim311 Posts: 4,807 Captain
    For a 3 or 4 day trip I'd probably stay somewhere close to home so I think I'd probably paddle a few parts of the sea kayak trail in the Big Bend, of course fishing and camping along the way.
  • SnookmeisterSnookmeister Posts: 1,035 Officer
    Stuart!! I have always wanted to fish that area. Flamingo is awesome too. Good camp sites, pretty easy access.
    Catch 'em and Release 'em!
    http://tampaurbanangler.blogspot.com/
  • FibberMckeeFibberMckee Posts: 12,837 Officer
    Usually successful enough fishing I only want to fish 3-4 days each month, seldom eat frozen seafood & am not into C&R unless required. As a consequence, never want to endure a "3 or 4 day fishing trip anywhere" & don't want skin cancer that badly. Being located mid state, Atlantic & Gulf are less than 2 hour drives & give excellent variety, so I've become reluctant to make longer trips to fish unfamiliar waters. Fishing between Ozello & Steinhatchee on GOM & Nassau Sd. & Ponce Inlet on Atlantic is plenty for me.

Still make a couple of "3 or 4 day" trips to visit old friends & fish Key Largo, but almost always lucky enough to catch all I want/need in 1 day. Don't have freezer space for more & no longer into giving away excess fish.
  • esteroestero Posts: 2,037 Captain
    I agree with FibberMckee about fishing unfamiliar waters. Even if some say that fishing is great in a certain area if you are new there it may take a while to get to know the area.

This time of year the wind is sometimes a big factor with some areas. Pick a spot where you can get out of winds. Wherever you go try and stay away from crowded tourist areas. Just pick a spot and have a good time fishing.
    NOTHING IS POLITICALLY RIGHT THAT IS MORALLY WRONG
    ___Abraham Lincoln
  • bonephishbonephish Posts: 1,488 Officer
    Key West

:Agree Or anywhere in the Keys. I always enjoyed fishing out of Sugarloaf Lodge at the 17mm. 3 or 4 days fishing down there is good therapy for high blood pressure. :cool:
  • ReelinrudyReelinrudy Posts: 294 Deckhand
    Do a kayak trip around the lower keys, or do a bridge-hopping trip all the way down to key west.
  • boomboomboomboom Posts: 151 Officer
    Okeechobee. I've wanted to fish it for years but never made it yet.
  • LeeHLeeH Posts: 121 Officer
    Easy, I'd go to SW Florida Pine Island specificly nice KOA campground there lots of places to launch a kayak, easy access to inshore fishing and deeper water fishing depending on winds and tides you can take your pick where to launch and have favorable conditions.
    I went and camped down there the week Sandy was going by on the east coast had a great time caught Redfish, Speckeled Trout, Snook, Jack Crevelle awesome vacation can't wait till I get to do it again!
  • Cut runnerCut runner Posts: 948 Officer
    Sebastian. Theres a campground there thats awesome and in prime kayak area. The fishing is awesome and very kayak/skiff friendly. But this time of year i would probably do a glades trip
  • Paragon1Paragon1 Posts: 509 Officer
    ^ sebastian is good in a kayak as long as you dont mind getting mowed down by a bunch of yahoos tearing through the inlet at 40kts while paddling against a 5mph current.
  • FibberMckeeFibberMckee Posts: 12,837 Officer
    Kayak/canoe fishing right in any inlet could be exciting, but Sebastian is adjacent to Indian River flats & No Motor Zones. If I wanted to go explore someplace new to paddle fish I'd Google FL's No Motor Zone maps, or look at a place like Chassahowitzka.
  • superdupersuperduper Posts: 1,913 Officer
    i want to fish the space coast pretty bad, or stuart port st lucie area. as well as 10000 islands. As well as the lower keys.
  • former bluefishinnyformer bluefishinny Posts: 1,455 Officer
    If inshore.... Id say Stuart area as well..... This time of year, winds are generally out of the East and or North East... IRL, you can fish the East bank on the windy days and if wind allows... Fish the better bank - West side (IMO)... This time of year trout fishing is great there.... Fishing from 1 foot to 4 foot can mean pompano, redfish, trout, snook and flounder.... Have caught all within a day fishin DOA's in the area (Hutch Island and areas north)... Plus, river is large enough with expansive grass flats that even if crowded, you can scoot down a half mile or so from others.
  • reeladventuresreeladventures Posts: 304 Officer
    Hit the Everglades in Flamingo
    2015 Hewes Redfisher18
  • tandtand Posts: 52 Deckhand
    Hit the Everglades in Flamingo

Go to flamingo! This shouldn't even be a discussion!
    if you go to flamingo for 3 or 4 days, bring some supplies.
  • ShadowcastShadowcast Posts: 1,009 Officer
    Probably the Glades.....either Flamingo or 10K. However at the right time of the year....the Lower Keys backcountry would be hard to pass up.
    Capt. Jon Bull
    Shadowcast Charters
    Ankona Boats Sales Rep
    2018 Tavernier 17.....Coming Soon!!
    www.shadowcastcharters.com
  • Art VandelayArt Vandelay Posts: 418 Officer
    superduper wrote: »
    if you go to flamingo for 3 or 4 days, bring some supplies.

sounds like you speak from experience.. i was planning a trip down there with some friends would you recommend?
  • cprcpr Posts: 9,224 Admiral
    LeeH wrote: »
    Easy, I'd go to SW Florida Pine Island specificly nice KOA campground there lots of places to launch a kayak, easy access to inshore fishing and deeper water fishing depending on winds and tides you can take your pick where to launch and have favorable conditions.
    I went and camped down there the week Sandy was going by on the east coast had a great time caught Redfish, Speckeled Trout, Snook, Jack Crevelle awesome vacation can't wait till I get to do it again!

Or the sanibel island area. This time of year I'd pick the lee side of FL wherever the forecast says the winds are heading.
    "The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function." F. Scott Fitzgerald

"Prediction is very difficult, especially if it's about the future." Niels Bohr
    sounds like you speak from experience.. i was planning a trip down there with some friends would you recommend?

ive only been out there on day trips. not lasting more than 10 hours.
    i only say that because there is nothing around for miles. cant just run to the gas station to grab a snack or a drink.
  • fishingkid315fishingkid315 Posts: 1,927 Captain
    10,000 islands
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • dtobiasdtobias Posts: 733 Officer
    Definitely Chokoloskee/Everglades City area. We used to go and spend a week at a time there. I could physically feel the stress and tension leave me as we were driving in on Hwy.29. Greatest place in the world to get back in touch with ocean and earth. JMO. I want my ashes scattered there after I'm gone.
  • capeanglercapeangler Posts: 586 Officer
    From someone who has fished every square inch of Florida since I first moved here in 1982, I will recommend Everglades City/Chokoloskee/10k Islands. Flamingo is good too, but you will have much faster access to both types of fishing (Back country & flats) out of 10k. You design the trip to be as “Text book” or “Adventurous” as you want it to be. Adventurous meaning………….there are very few expeditions that compare to heading south through the 10k and/or the wilderness waterway, camping on small sand/shell barrier islands or on designated chickees, fishing along the way and taking in all of what “Old Florida” has to offer……..eventually making it down to Flamingo and heading back north. I’ve done this trip many times by boat, and hands down (IMO) the overall experience is simply awesome. You will be one on one with nature, the diversity and the excellent fishing of the everglades. I would not do this solo on a kayak your first time around. From a text book standpoint, you will have endless miles of daily backcountry and fishing from a yak. “Follow the tide out and follow it back in”. Bugs are not too bad this time of the year………..but bring plenty of hard core bug repellent just in case.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file