11/1/12 Near Shore Tripple Tail and Small Gags

Ran out of Fort Myers on Sunday with Michael on a 6 hr Near shore trip. Picked up a few dozen shrimp and netted spent a half hour netting a few pilchards to bolster our success chances.

Anchored on some rubble 4 miles out and starting hammering the gags in various sizes. Nothing special. Used large gulp and pilchards. Once the sun came up we set out on our target species. Ran to about 11 miles in search of the oddball. Caught 15 or so and probably saw over 50 fish. Caught them on both pilchards and live skrimps (thats for you Drew)

One pictured ate a live handpicked shrimp. (Broke tail to release scent and keep shrimp from fleeing)

Finished with an hr or so inshore on a pretty low tide. Managed a small inshore slam. Nothing picture worthy.

Conditions- Outgoing tide and calm early but the wind picked up around Noon. Water was beautiful 3 miles and on out, muddied up near shore. Lots of birds, Few Bonita boils.
Bait- 3'' Pilchards and Live Shrimp
Reel- Penn Battle and Sargus 4000's
Line- 15-20lb Powerpro
Leader- Tripple Fish 30lb
Hooks-Owner circle hooks 2/0 ,3/0
Rods- Assorted Inshore 10-20lb 6'6 -7'
Target Depths- 20ft-36ft

• Angler SystemsAngler Systems Posts: 919 Officer
    Thanks for the report. Think you got the date wrong? November or December?
  • Shore Catch FishingShore Catch Fishing Posts: 127 Officer
    Thanks for the report. Think you got the date wrong? November or December?

Indeed, error on my part. At least you're up to date. Don't think I can edit title? Tight lines AS.
  • RMDRMD Posts: 1,796 Officer
    That's a monster! Probably was a good idea to run out deeper as there seem to be a lot of guys running the nearshore crab trap lines.
  • NailerNailer Posts: 291 Deckhand
    That thing is a beast! Nice job.
  • larrywittlarrywitt Posts: 2,445 Moderator
    Good report with gear detail and bait..Nice job..
  • JSTickumJSTickum Posts: 408 Deckhand
    Nice , yeah the Grouper are moving in , lost one on a near shore ledge yesterday morning off of Bonita , was not ready for him seeing I was looking for Pomps , sure did test the 8 lb out ,,,, and yeah the Trips are fished out inshore , we picked up 6 all shorts , ran out to 30 feet and saw some bigger ones but they were shy , great report
  • tilemantileman Posts: 1,063 Officer
    ah! very nice thanks for the report
    Here's ta swimn' with bowllegged women!
  • WNYerWNYer Posts: 16 Greenhorn
    Very nice report and fish. Great to provide all of the bait!!
    My 2012 Cobia (December off Sarasota/Venice)
  • InshoreSlamInshoreSlam Posts: 111 Officer
    Thats a huge trip man! Bet you got some nice filets from that guy..

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file