i only catch fish if im lucky

Replies

• dieselbeefdieselbeef Posts: 652 Officer
    reread the thread...gonna try my luk agan in the am
    16 ccf wellcraft.....
    well....i hit the water by 8am..fished with gold spoons/grub jigs of all shapes and colors/live shrimp. hit terra ciea with water depth from 2 ft to 10 ftincomin tide til 10ish..didnt catch a dam thing cept someladyfish and a sheephead. wayer was 66 so i was fishing slo as molasses...no luk tho..bout noon went to i75 and got a cpl real good hits but didnt hook nothin..
    headed back to the ramp @64 and still had 30 shrimp left. hit some mangroves near the ramp and caught 4 reds just ubder slot in 1/2 hr...in 3 ft of water right off a 10 t deep hole...man i wanted at least one for dinner but the biggest wouldnt have made 16..so home i went again..empty handed..****

gary
    16 ccf wellcraft.....
  • Gary S. ColecchioGary S. Colecchio Posts: 24,922 Officer
    Have you considered tennis?
    "If I can't win, I won't play." - Doris Colecchio.

"Well Gary, the easiest way to look tall is to stand in a room full of short people." - Curtis Bostick

"All these forums, with barely any activity, are like a neglected old cemetery that no one visits anymore."- anonymouse
    i am gary c..thanks tho
    16 ccf wellcraft.....
  • Anclote KeyAnclote Key Posts: 2,354 Officer
    dieselbeef wrote: »
    well....i hit the water by 8am..fished with gold spoons/grub jigs of all shapes and colors/live shrimp. hit terra ciea with water depth from 2 ft to 10 ftincomin tide til 10ish..didnt catch a dam thing cept someladyfish and a sheephead. wayer was 66 so i was fishing slo as molasses...no luk tho..bout noon went to i75 and got a cpl real good hits but didnt hook nothin..
    headed back to the ramp @64 and still had 30 shrimp left. hit some mangroves near the ramp and caught 4 reds just ubder slot in 1/2 hr...in 3 ft of water right off a 10 t deep hole...man i wanted at least one for dinner but the biggest wouldnt have made 16..so home i went again..empty handed..****

gary

Sounds like a pretty decent day to me.
    The two best times to fish is when it’s rainin’ and when it ain’t. –Patrick F. McManus
  • SwizzleSwizzle Posts: 534 Officer
    Yeah, I agree. Could have gone a lot worse. Just be glad you aren't a starving fisherman. Sounds like you are picking up the craft nicely. Keep at it.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2
    yeah,,wife said its a good thing i dont ish for food,,,we'd starve to death...was a hard day...i worked at it..lotta moving around..saw huge pods of bait that even the birds werent eating..smooth as glass most of the day...the reds at the end of the day pulled it out for me tho..or id have been bummmed

i had a good time...but id still be hungry
    gary
    16 ccf wellcraft.....
  • superdupersuperduper Posts: 1,913 Officer
    good day. get some drag peeled, and enjoy the environment.
  • bonephishbonephish Posts: 1,488 Officer
    how the f do guides go out and catch fish no matter waht..i mean they get paid...do they ever get 500/day and ya git skunked?

I've been on charters with some big time TV fishing guides and got skunked. If you fish a lot, it happens. :shrug
  • esteroestero Posts: 2,036 Captain
    I can't remember when I had a bad day out fishing.
    NOTHING IS POLITICALLY RIGHT THAT IS MORALLY WRONG
    ___Abraham Lincoln
  • Joupdog1Joupdog1 Posts: 1,416 Officer

gary

4 reds and a Sheepie? Sounds like your figuring things out to me. Go back to that redfish hole and I'm sure there are slots as well as under slots. Good job
    well i hit it again today. had some frozen shrimps in the fridge and somehow i left w/o my net so i used fakes all day. fished the very slo incomin for about 5 hrs..cpl under slot trout and probly 25 ladyfish..couldnt get away from em...got tired of it so i moved..was the end of the day. caught all the fish in but 6 ft of water. hit that red spot from the day before and got nothin..by the way i caught all but one fish on a gold spoon..johnson sprite i think it was...ladyfish keep the action p but i wanted some quality fish...had a good time today alright tho. came home empty handed again...wifes teasin me im at the strip club or somethin cuz i never bring home any fish..lol

gary
    16 ccf wellcraft.....
  • snookcatcher1snookcatcher1 Posts: 256 Officer
    well i hit it again today. had some frozen shrimps in the fridge and somehow i left w/o my net so i used fakes all day. fished the very slo incomin for about 5 hrs..cpl under slot trout and probly 25 ladyfish..couldnt get away from em...got tired of it so i moved..was the end of the day. caught all the fish in but 6 ft of water. hit that red spot from the day before and got nothin..by the way i caught all but one fish on a gold spoon..johnson sprite i think it was...ladyfish keep the action p but i wanted some quality fish...had a good time today alright tho. came home empty handed again...wifes teasin me im at the strip club or somethin cuz i never bring home any fish..lol

gary

Sounds like progress to me!!! Congrats!!!
    Other suggestions ... Keep a few of those Lady Fish and cut them in chunks. Hook a chunk of Lady Fish on a jig head and toss that into that Red Fish area. There have been many a Red Fish caught on a fresh cut piece of Lady. Or take a small live Lady Fish and fish it live around mangroves, docks or other structure for Snook.
    make strips like squid bait...or just chunk it and hook it freeline....on a bobber?

im confused about habitat and weather still tho...i would think fish would be up river,,but not really,,water is 65
    16 ccf wellcraft.....
  • perlman1234perlman1234 Posts: 1,449 Officer
    Deeper water under mangroves and chunks of ladyfish on the bottom... might catch a couple cats but you redfish catch should greatly improve. Freeline or weight depending on the tide.
    sweet...thatll be my next achievement..
    16 ccf wellcraft.....
  • ShottShott Posts: 203 Officer
    I have paid a guide for the day and got skunked. It happens. His tip was smaller.
    so...any good ideas for the weekend...wheres the reds...
    16 ccf wellcraft.....
  • DragScreamerDragScreamer Posts: 1,475 Officer
    tailing reds on shallow grass flats with lots of fiddler crabs on mangrove shores on the incoming tide or outgowing
    Let's go fishing!
  • MaLMaL Posts: 176 Officer
    been very unlucky, still.
    went sun/wed/fri and nothing to show for it besides a single 18" flounder and some story.

had 2 fish hit my one knocker at the same time but fail to get hooked, then 2 days later same thing but 1 fish.
    had a 8" trout hit my 5.5" doa jerkbait so hard i felt him hit my kayak, he swallowed the whole thing past the loop knot.
    had a falcon swoop down and grab my one knocker.
    had 3 pelicans landing on and mouthing my doa cal 5.5" jerkbait while it was trolling behind the kayak.

so in 3 days of sun up to sun down fishing, i almost caught more birds, tangles and snags than i did fish.
    just glad my car gets 25-30mpg otherwise these 2 hour long drives (both ways totaled) would break the bank.

no reds for me from august to now so far.
    talk about slump
  • FusionZ06FusionZ06 Posts: 875 Officer
    Rule #1. Fish don't bite on a dead tide.

Disagree. Tons of fish bite on dead tide and not just catfish and jacks :o
  • FusionZ06FusionZ06 Posts: 875 Officer
    Togam wrote: »
    Keep moving.

This applies to inshore and offshore. If I don't get something in 5 minutes it's time to move.

Good advice. We give a spot 15 minutes. Docks get 5-7 minutes and we are on to the next one.

That's how you find the good spots. I found a dock last week that I'm consistently catching 25"+ Gags. How did I find it? It looked fishy and I was out scouting docks...

Same thing goes with the flats, sometimes flats are dead and you have to move. If you want to pull the one fish chilling on that flat get some dead bait and soak it. My favorite is cut lady fish.
  • 9-Lives9-Lives Posts: 2,113 Captain
    Togam wrote: »
    tracey-jordan-nope.gif

:rotflmao:rotflmao:rotflmao:rotflmao:rotflmao
    marlin_baitball.gif
    i didnt get out..myakka city parade sat and then wrked cow stuff...sun werked at my real job...maybe next weekend
    16 ccf wellcraft.....
    hopefully ill have some luck in terra ciea tomorrow...gonna hit up the flats while the tides comin in all day...emerson point first....
    any ideas??
    16 ccf wellcraft.....
    any ideas??

catch some for me.

I'm probably going fishing at Shell Point Beach (30.057543, -84.290443) probably fish whatever oyster bars and grass edges I come across with gulp, glow/gold jerkbaits and gold spoons.
    if its realy calm I may toss a top water lure around.

but im told the conditions are not favorable anyway. :|
    I'm not expecting anything, mostly going because there's a kayak meet-up there and I need to be more social.
    last time i went over that way i fished between the beach and reef, caught 1 trout, 3 people with me caught nothing... same people went a few days ago and caught nothing.

duno why i keep ending up at the places that aren't producing lately, gotta be better places around here.
    The Apalachee Bay has not been kind to me since i started fishing it in Aug.

good luck.
    slo incomin all day..cant be all bad
    16 ccf wellcraft.....
    slo incomin all day..cant be all bad

yea, maybe not for you.
    here's what i will have. http://tides.mobilegeographics.com/locations/5795.html

part of why i said catch some for me... don't think i will have much luck.
  • wizfisherwizfisher Posts: 2,387 Officer
    MaL wrote: »
    yea, maybe not for you.
    here's what i will have. http://tides.mobilegeographics.com/locations/5795.html

part of why i said catch some for me... don't think i will have much luck.

Not the best tides but nothing bad about them either.

I would fish the afternoon tomorrow if I were you.
    High tide is too close to sunrise and the water won't be moving as much just before or after high tide.

Heck, if it were me, I would bring a light and fish after sunset.
    Saturday morning looks good too.
    i plan to try sunrise to sunset with a break around 11am

I usually try to fish all day to make the most of the trip. gas, paddle time.
    either way i look at it its 2 hours of driving. hate to come home without fish... doing that a lot lately.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file