Fisheating Creek

Going there this weekend and camping. Am doing the 8 mile canoe trip and will have my smallest bonefish set-up for bass. Havent bassed fished in years, should be interesting... Any reccomendation for there? Lures, tips? Will post a report and pics when I get back.

Replies

• SuperFlukeSuperFluke Posts: 1,889 Captain
    The last time I was there, the level was HIGH (nearly lost track of the river in some spots). The fish were pushed out to slow moving pools or holding very tight to anything blocking current. That being said, the most productive bait for me was a dark 4" senko. Find a nice piece of wood, bounce your bait off that, and let it sink.
  • cuckoocuckoo Posts: 106 Deckhand
    Memorial weekend you could walk up the creek and the fish were held in the pools... Kids had a good time with crickets. As stated above though the water should be flowing pretty good with all the rains and stick baits will work fine...
    God is great... Beer is good... And people are crazy!
  • brettfitzbrettfitz Posts: 438 Deckhand
    Oh man.
    Just taking one rod?
    I'd have the senko for sure. A beetle spin type setup always catches anything and everything in that creek. The smallest topwaters you can pitch are a ton of fun at sunset and sunrise - bounce 'em off the cypress knees and get ready for the slurp just about as soon as they hit the water.

if you have ever even tried casting a fly rod, you should bring it. Small poppers in the areas where you have room to back cast are really hard to beat for overall fun. You don't have to be good at all, just enough to get the line a few feet from the tip. Literally.

Looking forward to the photos.
    "A 'real' fisherman is one who thinks like I do. There are more of us around than you might suspect."
    -John Gierach
  • gatormarkgatormark Posts: 2,240 Officer
    http://waterdata.usgs.gov/fl/nwis/uv?02256500

this is the link for water levels at the bridge, there is a peak time and hgt for the creek. im not telling you what it is but this can help you out.
  • Gone_FishingGone_Fishing Posts: 1,184 Officer
    I spent many summer vacations there when I was a kid. We always did well with small Rapalas bounced off the cypress knees. Black/silver, black/gold, and Perch color. We would also drift and jig Maribou jigs on cane poles along the cypress and vegetation.
  • joekat46joekat46 North PortPosts: 1,859 Captain
    Waiting for the promised report and pics.
  • Bite 1Bite 1 Posts: 482 Deckhand
    Ditto the smallest 2 hook rapala you can buy in gold as the tannin stained water. You name it, I have caught it on this lure in the fisheating creek or the oxbows in the Kissimee river. P.S. Be ready for a big one as I have caught my biggest bank fish with it at Limpkin creek in Okeechobee. (9lbs 3ozs) 6lb test line. Good luck.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file