Morning/Evening... Slamming It Out! 11/24/12

Joupdog1Joupdog1 Posts: 1,416 Officer
Loaded up the kayaks and headed out to our spot with a beautiful sunrise and some chilly weather to greet us. The trout were spread out, but decent in size. No dinks, but no monsters. Dad gets slammed by a monster bluefish that dragged the yak around for a while. Plenty of jacks to keep the blood pumping in between trout. Went home, ate some lunch, and got some school work done before Chris texts me. About 2:00, were off to go wade! It was glassy calm for the most part so Chris threw the shrimp while I threw a CAL. Right away got into the trout pretty thick. Chris is catching one after another on the DOA Shrimp, while all I was catching were smaller trout and jacks. So I tied on a Charlie's Shrimp and immediately got a nice trout. Then Chris hooks up right beside him to a much bigger trout! Not a gator by any means, but well over slot. With the tide getting higher, we head to a sandbar I know of and once out there, it wasn't long before I hooked up to a big fish! Drag screaming off the reel, rod doubled over! Never saw the fish until the end of the 5 minute fight when it showed itself. Nice upper slot redfish! Got some good pics and released. Completely happy with the trip, Chris makes a few more casts and wouldn't you know it! He gets a small snook to complete our slam! Overall a great day. Fish were caught on DOA CAL's(Greene) and Charlie's Shrimp(gold/glow).

Replies

• pompanohunterpompanohunter Posts: 48 Deckhand
    Great report Joupdog as usual! I fish from a kayak too but not so often since I need a partner to get me going. I wish we were closer in distance. You seem to dial in those trouts on every trip. I finally got my first trout yesterday from the surf.
    Keep up the great reports.
  • swordfizhswordfizh Posts: 177 Officer
    Yeah, keep slaying them bud! Now, you have mastered this already, It is in the bag... Next, try getting yourself a fly rod... Then begin learning all over again... I guarantee you that when you catch a few fish on it, you won't touch a spinning rod again! I wish I had as many wading opportunities as you do, I would surely be stalking on the fly!

-swordfish
    fishy.gif

"The definition of Insanity is to continue to do the same thing repeatedly and expect a different outcome, thus by definition, fishing is insanity, we are all insane!"
  • Joupdog1Joupdog1 Posts: 1,416 Officer
    swordfizh wrote: »
    Yeah, keep slaying them bud! Now, you have mastered this already, It is in the bag... Next, try getting yourself a fly rod... Then begin learning all over again... I guarantee you that when you catch a few fish on it, you won't touch a spinning rod again! I wish I had as many wading opportunities as you do, I would surely be stalking on the fly!

-swordfish

Don't have the money right now for it, but Christmas is right around the corner and I've got a feeling it's in my future.
  • swordfizhswordfizh Posts: 177 Officer
    I hear ya bud! If I had the means heart to heart right now Id get you going with a 6 to 7 weight setup... May I recommend a Redington Crosswater setup. About 100 bucks on ebay, and a decent starter setup... You seem like a smart young man, so if Santa comes thru, then here you go another piece of information, get yourself a 19.99 fly tying vice and go to town... For materials I recommend www.flytyersdungeon.com The cheapest you will find ever PERIOD and decent quality materials! If you ever decide to go into fishing professionally, this will help you plenty! Good luck and I want to see them reports if and when you do get a fly rod! There is no better satisfaction than catching a fish on a pattern you tied!

-swordfish
    fishy.gif

"The definition of Insanity is to continue to do the same thing repeatedly and expect a different outcome, thus by definition, fishing is insanity, we are all insane!"
  • DoozeDooze Posts: 233 Officer
    Another solid roundup Joupdog. I need to find someone other than my brother to join me on my wadefishing expeditions out here so I can start contributing some decent pics. The problem is I am kind of crazy and will march through any brush and even swim through water to get to a decent spot. I'm afraid to ask someone else if they are willing to do the same, lol.
    swordfizh wrote: »
    I hear ya bud! If I had the means heart to heart right now Id get you going with a 6 to 7 weight setup... May I recommend a Redington Crosswater setup. About 100 bucks on ebay, and a decent starter setup... You seem like a smart young man, so if Santa comes thru, then here you go another piece of information, get yourself a 19.99 fly tying vice and go to town... For materials I recommend www.flytyersdungeon.com The cheapest you will find ever PERIOD and decent quality materials! If you ever decide to go into fishing professionally, this will help you plenty! Good luck and I want to see them reports if and when you do get a fly rod! There is no better satisfaction than catching a fish on a pattern you tied!

-swordfish

I will look into that for sure, thank you for the input, never was sure on what to get to start with.
  • nightflynightfly Posts: 482 Deckhand
    Nice pics. Enjoyed the read as well
  • brandonn545brandonn545 Posts: 1 Greenhorn
    hello
    Welcome to this forum site.
    This forum is all that you need. Currently I am not in position to give you right suggestions so please find an expert and get it done. Hope you get the solution to your problem.
    Top Ten classified website
  • fishboyfishboy Posts: 1,326 Officer
    okay...
    fishboy wrote: »
    okay...

Okay what?
  • suzsuz Posts: 5 Greenhorn
    Great report Joupdog as usual! I fish from a kayak too but not so often since I need a partner to get me going. I wish we were closer in distance.

Pompanohunter...I'm like you. Got the kayak, but need a partner. Where are you located? Private message me if you prefer...

Suzanne
  • mandaferretmandaferret Posts: 932 Officer
    Joupdog1 wrote: »
    Okay what?

I figured he was talking about the spam. I reported it yesterday, but it is still here.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file