What up with Boca lately?

Last 3 trips not much of a bite, no current, south current, west wind, east wind too....just terrible out there....based on radio I know I am not the only one struggling...a few bonitos, some trash fish, 1 big 8#mutton and a 21" red grouper, BFt...tiny.......dolphin too small to hook, our almost sure thing jigging has been weak...spent hours drifting with Gogs without a bite....what is it?!:huh
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Replies

• flatsfisherflatsfisher Posts: 1,381 Officer
    its the mayans, they were right the world is coming to an end. :cry but i think the strong north winds we had for a while just messed everything up and in a week or so the current should be back to normal and the bite turn back on
  • Jus' Teasin'Jus' Teasin' Posts: 5 Greenhorn
    Sunday afternoon, directly east of Hillsboro inlet, my wife and I caught a 6 1/2' sail in 900' on a ballyhoo with a pink skirt. (2) triple header 30" dolphin bites in 800', and another 7' sail in 600' on a Ilander with a ballyhoo. It was a good afternoon. :fishing

Sometimes you just have "those" days when they're somewhere else.
  • e-moneye-money Posts: 4,257 Officer
    Barracuda wrote: »
    Last 3 trips not much of a bite, no current, south current, west wind, east wind too....just terrible out there..
    It's not just Boca. Palm Beach has been "WANKY" as has St Lucie. I heard top boat in the Quickie had 3 fish day 1 (that says a lot considering calibre of teams).

Strange because 2 weeks ago, it was OFF THE CHAIN on dolphin, sails, wahoos. I wish I had the answer myself as to how / why the pelagics have had LOCK JAW or are just not here right now.
    USCG Freelance Licensed Captain
    20 years experience Offshore & Bahamas ( Sailfish, Dolphin, Wahoo, Swordfish & Bottom Fish.)
    [url]Http://www.e-moneyfishing.com[/url]
    (I teach people how to be more effective AND catch MORE and BIGGER fish on their own boats!)
    emoney991@outlook.com
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • LastMangoLastMango Posts: 4,574 Officer
    Spent 6 hours on Sunday, drifting Gogs, slow trolling Gogs, trolling artificials, 80ft to 250ft and back several times, got zip... Finally hit the bottom, and even that was a bit slow.... Today was much better just offshore of Jupiter Inlet, a lot of average Lanes on ice, a few large Lanes, one African Pompano, but no big Muttons... Been denied on that now for over a month, but no complaints, but I do miss the big tug of a big Mutton for sure...
    attachment.php?attachmentid=131572&d=1399127702
  • fish in the boxfish in the box Posts: 68 Deckhand
    Full moon!
  • brianbbrianb Posts: 2,241 Captain
    I was gonna say full moon, but as you know...that does not affect me, I can not catch fish no matter the moon or tide! Anyways, I believe in general last week/weekend was not so good for fishing. For most everyone.
  • ErcwrestlrErcwrestlr Posts: 4 Greenhorn
    Was out on Tuesday off Boca and had some decent dolphins hook up. Happened to run into a school of them. Other than that, trolled around all day catching Bonita's. I was in 900ft of water.
  • e-moneye-money Posts: 4,257 Officer
    brianb wrote: »
    I was gonna say full moon, but as you know...that does not affect me, I can not catch fish no matter the moon or tide! .

Brian is a bad ***. To be able to " not catch the s$it out em" on any tide or moon phase is commendable!
    USCG Freelance Licensed Captain
    20 years experience Offshore & Bahamas ( Sailfish, Dolphin, Wahoo, Swordfish & Bottom Fish.)
    [url]Http://www.e-moneyfishing.com[/url]
    (I teach people how to be more effective AND catch MORE and BIGGER fish on their own boats!)
    emoney991@outlook.com
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • AlwaysforwardAlwaysforward Posts: 1,502 Captain
    We have the same conditions up here out of SLI... Hopefully it will turn around soon...
    ALWAYSFORWARD, NEVER STRAIGHT...

Truckdecal-signature.jpg
  • brianbbrianb Posts: 2,241 Captain
    e-money wrote: »
    Brian is a bad ***. To be able to " not catch the s$it out em" on any tide or moon phase is commendable!

If you think that's bad***, you should see how much gas I waste not catching Wahoo HST!
  • SFCarlSFCarl Posts: 300 Officer
    Its always this slow this time of year. Soon the dolphin will disappear and the sails will move in. December is usually no better.
  • Sails and TalesSails and Tales Posts: 150 Officer
    Fished the edge live baiting the last couple weekends off Boca. As others have mentioned, it's been slow. Sunday had a couple cutoffs and a shark off San Remo. Went offshore and baited up a big sail in 480' off North Boca in nice weeds. Live baited the weeds for about an hour while live chumming and never saw the first dolphin while slow trolling from patch to patch.

But I'll be back at it this weekend...
  • Danny33486Danny33486 Posts: 158 Officer
    I agree with the prior comment on the Mayans. However I have not seen many Mayans around Boca lately. ... I need to go fishing...:banghead

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file