Homosassa Inshore 11/15 Dinner and bait with Don

Don and i planned to head out this afternoon after some trout and maybe a red or 2. We shoved off at noon with overcast skys and coll temps at dead low tide. We started working a deep cut along the edge of a shallow flat. Mirridines worked very slow took trout and ladyfish on a regular basis. It seemed like the tide stayed slack forever so we continued working a few other cuts until the tide pushed in. As soon as it did the larger trout began to take out lures. The only real biggie we hooked came unbuttoned boatside. It took a pice of cut bait meant for a redfish and the circle hook just didn't hook up. The plan was to just take a few home for dinner and release the rest which is exactly what we did. The tide never got up enough for us to get after the reds in any meaningful way. As a bonus I put a good bunch of ladyfish in the freezer for bait. We ran into a school of large ladyfish and had a ball joining in on thier antics! The temp never got out of the 60s and the sun never showed but it was another great day on the bay with my neighbor and good friend Don.

DSC_0131-1.jpg
This place Rocks if yer a crabber

Replies

• Fore-ReelFore-Reel Posts: 103 Officer
    Great catch Troutman, I went out this morning in Crystal River, first time in 6-7 weeks. A few small trout, and small sea bass, I think that's what they are. Very low tide today, fished out of main channel in Black Grass flats. Caught me off guard, how cold it was, called it a day around 1 pm. Good day on the water, but be glad when the sun returns !
    :USA
  • BillyBilly ChassahowitzkaPosts: 2,614 Captain
    Sounds like a great day Kyle. Pete and I talked, today, how much fun catching lady fish can be.

Legal grouper were scarce, plenty of under size groupers were caught, but we had a good time in spite of the seas.

Bill
    "And the ocean is howling for the things that might have been..."
  • PONCEPONCE Posts: 5,943 Officer
    Now thats better Kyle, WTG my man :hail:hail
  • RedbonzRedbonz Posts: 4,517 Captain
    Still sounds like some good fish action....
    If it don't fit force it. If it breaks it needed replace anyways. :banghead
  • ThereelmccoyThereelmccoy Posts: 16 Greenhorn
    Redbonz wrote: »
    Still sounds like some good fish action....

Great to hear your back at it.
  • capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 9,163 Moderator
    It was a bit cool out. Tons of ladyfish out there.
    "You'll get your weather"
  • angler18angler18 Posts: 2,035 Officer
    nice mess of trout and a sweet sea bass, looks like somebody will be eating well!
  • Snook SpankerSnook Spanker Inglis / YankeetownPosts: 1,708 Captain
    capt louie wrote: »
    It was a bit cool out. Tons of ladyfish out there.

Right on Troutman & Billy!! Those Lady's are a ton of fun and Louie's right, there are huge schools roming around out there now!
    I am'z what I am'z and that'z all that I am'z!! > Popeye!
  • Sub SailorSub Sailor Posts: 73 Deckhand
    Hey Kyle,

Good going! I guess we can all assume that the hip is working as it should... I can't help wondering what a "Lady Fish" looks like... Mermaids, . . . I know what they look like, but 'Lady Fish'? I'm not so sure.. You got any pictures??

Roger
  • Doc StressorDoc Stressor Homosassa, FLPosts: 2,076 Captain
    The top 3.5 fish in the picture are ladyfish.
    The top 3.5 fish in the picture are ladyfish.

Thanks Doc, not as exciting as I had hoped for, but like they say, "It is what it is"!! I guess I'll stick with mermaids..

Roger
  • troutman57troutman57 Posts: 3,691 Officer
    Sub Sailor wrote: »
    Thanks Doc, not as exciting as I had hoped for, but like they say, "It is what it is"!! I guess I'll stick with mermaids..

Roger

most folk grow to like catching ladyfish due to thier high flying antics and pulling power.....but the down side is that they poop all over everything.
    troutman57 wrote: »
    .....but the down side is that they poop all over everything.

Geez, that doesn't sound very "Lady-Like", how on earth did they ever get that name?
  • troutman57troutman57 Posts: 3,691 Officer
    Sub Sailor wrote: »
    Geez, that doesn't sound very "Lady-Like", how on earth did they ever get that name?

The large (lady like) eyes is why I was told they are called ladyfish

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file