Fishing Pet Peeves?

Replies

• mandaferretmandaferret Posts: 932 Officer
    Whenever I am fishing a bridge (primarily Stuart Causeway for those in the SE) and when I have to move out to follow a fish some googan takes my spot. I have only seen one or two other boats that have actually caught fish there. Most people just anchor away from the structure, throw some bottom rigs out, and wait for another catfish to hit. I drift along the fenders and routinely catch drum up to 30 lbs, sheepshead to 10, and oddities like a 15" lionfish and batfish. Not to mention when a 20 lb+ drum is pulling your 8lb test rod into the channel and nobody slows down. I'm in a 13' whaler or kayak so wakes are not my friend. But what annoys me most is when somebody is watching me catch fish (often when they are going through the bridge) then anchors up along where I am drifting. A few months ago two contenders full of probably a dozen kids each with a few adults proceeded to anchor 20' away from someone else and then start screaming every 8" grunt. They paid no respect for anybody else because they had kids on board.
    Another peeve is any boat in the IRL over 15'- especially those who speed and most of the people who launch at Sandsprit. A few weeks ago watched a 70' yacht going 50mph in a 25 zone then 10 minutes later their 5' wake almost crashed us into the seawall we were fishing.
  • ndcat2ndcat2 Posts: 6 Greenhorn
    When guides go flying past me in there boats so close that i could reach out and touch the boat with my paddle (i kayak fish)
  • ThumpThump Posts: 184 Deckhand
    project1 wrote: »
    my biggest one is when a certain richard head (snow birds with stupidly over priced boats) flys by me while im trying to cast net and scares all the bait and pissing me off. And a new one i have is northerners with no ocean access with salt life stickers.... and salt life stickers in general...

Haha! I love the Notherners with Salt Life Stickers. I live in Tennessee and spent several summers in the Keys fishing. I see people around here with Guy Harvey shirts or salt life, etc. and its a real treat, because most people around here can't relate to saltwater fishing. So of course, I start a conversation with refering to their shirt and saltwater fishing. Usual response, "oh, I have never been I just like the shirt..." That drives me crazy...
  • Cut runnerCut runner Posts: 948 Officer
    Whenever I am fishing a bridge (primarily Stuart Causeway for those in the SE) and when I have to move out to follow a fish some googan takes my spot. I have only seen one or two other boats that have actually caught fish there. Most people just anchor away from the structure, throw some bottom rigs out, and wait for another catfish to hit. I drift along the fenders and routinely catch drum up to 30 lbs, sheepshead to 10, and oddities like a 15" lionfish and batfish. Not to mention when a 20 lb+ drum is pulling your 8lb test rod into the channel and nobody slows down. I'm in a 13' whaler or kayak so wakes are not my friend. But what annoys me most is when somebody is watching me catch fish (often when they are going through the bridge) then anchors up along where I am drifting. A few months ago two contenders full of probably a dozen kids each with a few adults proceeded to anchor 20' away from someone else and then start screaming every 8" grunt. They paid no respect for anybody else because they had kids on board.
    Another peeve is any boat in the IRL over 15'- especially those who speed and most of the people who launch at Sandsprit. A few weeks ago watched a 70' yacht going 50mph in a 25 zone then 10 minutes later their 5' wake almost crashed us into the seawall we were fishing.

You got a 25 yamaha on your whaler? And is it dark blue?
    I think ive seen you round..
  • project1project1 Posts: 347 Officer
    just thought of another one! when the army core of engineers deem necessary to dump a crap load of fresh water into the inlet from lake Okeechobee.
  • wakebordlfwakebordlf Posts: 100 Officer
    When I run out of beer before bait
  • project1 wrote: »
    just thought of another one! when the army core of engineers deem necessary to dump a crap load of fresh water into the inlet from lake Okeechobee.

Great one Project!
  • Panhandler80Panhandler80 Posts: 7,799 Moderator
    When I choose to believe the weather report even though current conditions are very much to the contrary.
    "Whatcha doin' in my waters?"
  • GT FishGT Fish Posts: 9,448 Officer
    I do not fish with people who **** on fishing forums.
    mousey.gif
    61903c544aca27b57fb2aa29e6bc4a3b.gif
    gnat.gifWzz6I.gif
  • DragScreamerDragScreamer Posts: 1,475 Officer
    I hate it when people cancel the trip at the last second
    Let's go fishing!
  • Panhandler80Panhandler80 Posts: 7,799 Moderator
    I hate it when people cancel the trip at the last second

can't believe I forgot this one! Instantly increases everybodys cost while decreasing limit, AND no time to ask one of your contacts who has been dying to go.
    "Whatcha doin' in my waters?"
  • FS JeffFS Jeff Posts: 368 Moderator
    Personal pet peeve of mine is when I forget how lucky I am to have the time, health and resources to go fishing.

Was reminded of this the other night at the checkout counter in Wal-Mart (yes, I shop there when last ditch items are needed).

Nice young lady at the register says, "Looks like you're going fishing."

"Yep, got a trip tomorrow," I mumble, looking around, lost in my pre-trip mental checklist.

"I used to love fishing," she said. "My boyfriend and I would go every weekend."

Now I look at her. "What happened? Why don't you fish anymore?"

"Well, we bought a house, and now I'm working three jobs."

I smiled and said something like, "Well, get out there next chance you get."

Inside I winced, and I thought about that girl as I loaded my boat. Not that I should've found some more meaningful thing to say to her, or that I should've volunteered to take her fishing. And certainly not that I should feel ashamed of my circumstances. Just that I was, at that moment, painfully aware of how much I take for granted. And that a successful day of fishing cannot be reckoned with a checklist.
    Jeff Weakley
  • ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 8,203 Admiral
    garbo,

I don't mind the idiots can't keep their baitfish straight or go with local names for them, but cutesy and or erroneous names for actual targeted fish is just plain annoying.
    How about carbo?
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
  • mac02wmac02w Posts: 5 Greenhorn
    Blowing a hub on your trailer, midnight on a Sunday, on the way down to the Keys. Or losing power in the current of Bahia Honda channel with a storm on the horizon. All in one trip (true story).

Affordable boat share for the demanding angler.
    http://angler-share.com/
  • Bush WhackerBush Whacker Posts: 135 Officer
    Joupdog1 wrote: »
    When someone is reeling in their spinning rod and they are holding the rod UPSIDE DOWN and reeling BACKWARDS. "Pier Style"

I remember Gary saying a few years back that this is good way to deter people from investigating you and your spot. See a boat approaching and you flip your reels upside down. There's no way you know what you're doing and could possibly be in a decent spot if you're fishing "Yankee Style".
  • restlessnativerestlessnative Posts: 1,928 Captain
    Jet skiers! Meatheads and go fast loud cigarette boats (lots of times these two are one in the same). People anchoring in the middle of the drift in tarpon season. People who steal my tarpon crabs.
  • a-salt-weapona-salt-weapon Posts: 202 Deckhand
    Clutter in boat.

Slamming the GD cooler lid or hatches.

Leaving the cooler open to long or not shutting it all the way.

People who wont shut up when you are running on plane... usually talking crap about someone fishing close by (not many people know how far your voice will travel)
  • jupitersailfishjupitersailfish Posts: 220 Officer
    When someone doesn't wind the line onto your conventional reel straight.
    Kill Swordy :fishing
    boat.jpg
  • ultraplayer26ultraplayer26 Posts: 814 Officer
    when you invite people that supposively are amazing fisherman,yet they seem to hook every single rock or bottom there is.Therefore costing you a ton of money on hooks,sinkers etc.
  • GROUPER SCOOPERGROUPER SCOOPER Posts: 1,871 Captain
    If you are going to USE the live bait we are spending time and $ to catch............do your dang part to keep it alive and fresh.

Nothin worse than spending time to get a live well full of bait with other folks and no one helps to keep it fresh.But they dang sure wanna use it all up as fast as possible.
    Everything affects everything.You can't just change one thing.Every thing is connected.
  • PoppopPoppop Posts: 180 Officer
    How about the guy that gets hung up drifting and using one of my conventional outfits and pops the reel out of gear?
  • Anclote KeyAnclote Key Posts: 2,354 Officer
    Wussies. You just know them when you see them.
    The two best times to fish is when it’s rainin’ and when it ain’t. –Patrick F. McManus
  • mastercastermastercaster Posts: 1,257 Officer
    Fly in the back of the head from the other guy.

Cockpit clutter.

Other boats getting too close when there is all that open water.

Others taking more than a minute to launch or load their boat (unless they are solo).

The guy who constantly foul hooks docks, oyster bars etc. etc.
  • gmiller0737gmiller0737 Posts: 623 Officer
    Boat Ramps,Not enough of them around here and others are totaly inconsiderate blocking the ramp while they load/unload stuff between the vehicle & boat,I refuse to fish or boat on weekends for that reason fortunately I am off a day during the week.
  • jumboshrimpjumboshrimp Posts: 820 Officer
    I just honestly and truly hate people. I would rather fish during a hurricane than fish on a bright sunny saturday when every d-bag in the state decides to come out and show off their nice shiny two digit IQ .
  • SATARASATARA Posts: 104 Officer
    People that you take fishing and think they own the boat and you have to do what they said and went you don't they get **** at you
  • BColleyBColley Posts: 419 Officer
    When bottom fishing and someone reels the swivel into the rod tip and when someone lets their lead slam against the gelcoat. It drives me insane.
    JBC

Chaos Tarpon Bay
    Ocean Master 31
  • former bluefishinnyformer bluefishinny Posts: 1,449 Officer
    jumboshrimp... lol... I get that same attitude after I pull up to a flat to wade on a Saturday morning and as I approach, I see the reflection of 8 cars' tail lights parked there already! (Espec during this time of year). Or when I kayak a mile to get to a cove, turn the point and see 2 boats, and 3 kayakers right smack in the middle.

Hence why I love Tuesday, Wed, and Thursday fishing.... Cause even Monday and Friday you get the "3 day weekend warrriors". During summer months, I pray for afternoon storms... Drive down to the flat, and monitor the storms direction via smart phone.... As soon as it clear - slip on out, not a sole in sight.. ahhhhhh
  • duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 18,225 AG
    I just honestly and truly hate people. I would rather fish during a hurricane than fish on a bright sunny saturday when every d-bag in the state decides to come out and show off their nice shiny two digit IQ .

Apparently, We were separated at birth...................:rotflmao

PS...where do you find all those smart 2 digit IQ people anyway ...most around here only run enough brain cells to keep the lights on....
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you
  • ProblemChild23ProblemChild23 Posts: 3 Greenhorn
    when you invite people that supposively are amazing fisherman,yet they seem to hook every single rock or bottom there is.Therefore costing you a ton of money on hooks,sinkers etc.

How about that same guy who feels that he needs to have 10 lines in the water while you outfish him with just one. Not to mention that all of those 10 lines have a frisky live bait on them. Congrats dumb***! That's one hell of a knot you've tied there. You can't feel a hit if your hands aren't on the friggin rod!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file