Florida whelk laws

SaltFlyTyerSaltFlyTyer Posts: 63 Deckhand
Can you provide me with the Florida regulations for harvesting live whelk??
Thank you.
Kris.

Replies

• GreyRiderGreyRider Posts: 61 Deckhand
    Can you provide me with the Florida regulations for harvesting live whelk??
    Thank you.
    Kris.

Other than a saltwater fishing license there are no regulations on Whelks. The only law remotely close is for Queen Conch's but that is a different species.:fishing
  • mandaferretmandaferret Posts: 932 Officer
    Just as above, but there are some areas closed to harvest, just as any shell. What are you planning on doing with them? They do taste pretty good.
  • stokesstokes Posts: 324 Deckhand
    Just as above, but there are some areas closed to harvest, just as any shell. What are you planning on doing with them? They do taste pretty good.

How did you extract and prepare them?
    Freeze them or boil them for a minute, then they come right out. Cook them like conch, tenderizing really helps. Most larger Florida snails are edible.
  • lowe-boylowe-boy Posts: 1,195 Officer
    do you eat horse conch?
    The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.
    lowe-boy wrote: »
    do you eat horse conch?

I never have, but just about any large, legal snail is good.
  • Roc N RolRoc N Rol Posts: 1,349 Officer
    stokes wrote: »
    How did you extract and prepare them?

I built a house on Rum Cay, Bahamas for a friend and the islanders taught me it is best to take a hammer and break the shell open and pick the welk out where you harvest the welk, it beat carrying all the weight of the shells back to the house and was quick and easy. Thay are tough and need to boil for about an hour to tenderize tham up.
  • fish_stixfish_stix Posts: 1,238 Officer
    Horse conch is very good but tough as bullhide. Slice the meat thin then beat it good with a meat mallet and make conch chowder or grind it and make fritters.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file