East coast slam

OK, Yesterday I fished with DuPont..and we "double slammed" on what is considered a "Traditional slam" of Trout,Red and snook. I wound up with 7 trout 3 Reds and a snook. Adam caught 2 Trout 4 Reds and a snook.
I will say that the snook were really "snookettes" ..but they were snook.

Today, My very first cast is a fish on...a real fighter and a 26 1/2" Red is in the boat. I normally don't keep anything but Flounder or Pomps except badly injured fish that won't survive or the odd fish here and there for my jig maker or computer tech guy (nephew). I move to my next spot and have a few short hits...then a hard thump..but no real fight as it comes straight to me...and then...Holy smokes! This fish goes ballistic and in the early light I see what I would consider a "Mat".... In the net it goes.
Now, with these two fish in the well I think back about reading the FWC having its program to get a certificate for a East coast slam...but they consider a slam a Trout a Red and..a Flounder.
Well, since I'm already 2/3rds the way...I start looking for a legal size Trout. Now this should be no real big deal...but sometimes they are harder to find than you might think. Luckily, about 5 casts later a 17" is swimming in the livewell. I guess I'll put in for one of those nice certificates.....and eat some flounder. :wink

bW1jMS9EQ0lNLzEwMFNTTUVEL1NTUFgwMDUwLmpwZw-1.jpg

It was only 7:25 AM so I started looking around at a different spot and caught another trout about 16 inches.
Decided to run to the inlet and look around hoping to find some bluefish to play with but all I got was jacks and ladys there and the water still looked poor. Headed in at 10:30.
There are many roads to travel
Many things to do.
Knots to be unraveled
'fore the darkness falls on you

Replies

• on_the_rockson_the_rocks Posts: 7,894 Admiral
    That flounder is FAT!!! Hope that is a sign of a good run this year. I will be on the rocks shortly.
  • captrandycaptrandy Posts: 311 Officer
    That sounds like 2 very nice days. Nice work all around!
    Bad Fish Must Die!!
  • fishboyfishboy Posts: 1,326 Officer
    Nice flounder!! the big ones fight like reds...
  • bigoldredfishbigoldredfish Posts: 479 Deckhand
    nice fish duckman!!!
    East coast slam is red, trout, tarpon.
    http://myfwc.com/media/316587/SW_Application_GrandSlam.pdf

kids have been tearing up the reds, snook, flounder, and drum as well.
  • duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 18,217 AG

Criz-ap!..... Oh well...I guess my advancing age is messing with my brain.

Still eating that flounder though....:wink
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
  • Mighty QuinnMighty Quinn Posts: 183 Deckhand
    Nice job!
    2016 Key West 239FS w/Yamaha 250
  • MSW_SatelliteBeachMSW_SatelliteBeach Posts: 212 Officer
    I have got to go fishing with you some day...
  • SUPER DSUPER D Posts: 634 Officer
    What a nice Flounder, a mat for sure. :thumbsup
  • PONCEPONCE Posts: 5,943 Officer
    Excellent Duck :applause
  • suzsuz Posts: 5 Greenhorn
    Duckman....remember me?? Missing the heck out of fishing with you and jonesing for another trip!! Are you still out there or onto duck hunting already? Your blues and Spanish macks are in the Inlet...caught a half dozen of them on Wednesday ;)

Suzanne =)
  • tunamantunaman Posts: 3,700 Captain
    where's the Grouper?? Could you get me some trout that size, looks like good grouper bait! Bet it would work for Dolphin too! Sorry Joke!! Seriously though, how big is that trout?
    suz wrote: »
    Duckman....remember me?? Missing the heck out of fishing with you and jonesing for another trip!! Are you still out there or onto duck hunting already? Your blues and Spanish macks are in the Inlet...caught a half dozen of them on Wednesday ;)

Suzanne =)

I'd love to get out again Suz....PM me your phone# and we'll put a trip together...is Mondays still your day off?
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    tunaman wrote: »
    where's the Grouper?? Could you get me some trout that size, looks like good grouper bait! Bet it would work for Dolphin too! Sorry Joke!! Seriously though, how big is that trout?

He's not that small....he only looks like a dink next to a 27" Red....
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    Getting crap for the one trout of thousands you keep... Ironic.
    DuPont wrote: »

Relax DuPont! If you think thats getting crap, you haven't been on here long! Didn't you see where I said "Sorry Joke"!! JEEEEEEZ!
    The guy w/ all of the !!!!!!!!!!! Is telling me to relax... That is also ironc. Good luck on the tuna:)
    Stop worrying about me and post that Flounder pic....
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    DuPont wrote: »

I think you meant throw back....but I knew what you meant....
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    ok, thats fine! up yours too!!
    The paint can speaks.
  • guido4198guido4198 Posts: 2,243 Officer
    Duckman....You've got this area (Sea-Bass) really dialed in and I like to ask if you have any suggestions for how a guy can increase the overall size of the catch. Different tactics, lures, etc...???
    I'm doing a lot of kayak fishing around Wabasso, Orchid/Pelican Island, up to Grant... and while I always catch fish, they're rarely up to slot size. LOTTs of "Schoolies, undersize stuff etc.
    Not asking for specific holey-holes...(unless of course you wish to share..!!!) just some thoughts from a more experienced guy.
    Thanks.
  • SteveB79SteveB79 Posts: 20 Greenhorn
    Those are certainly slam material. Any three game fish in a days span is a slam in most books!! Congrats and keep the lines wet!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Kayaks by Bo Pro Staff
    Kayakfishingradio.com dag gone Fishin Magician
    Space Coast Kayak Angler (facebook)
    guido4198 wrote: »
    Duckman....You've got this area (Sea-Bass) really dialed in and I like to ask if you have any suggestions for how a guy can increase the overall size of the catch. Different tactics, lures, etc...???
    I'm doing a lot of kayak fishing around Wabasso, Orchid/Pelican Island, up to Grant... and while I always catch fish, they're rarely up to slot size. LOTTs of "Schoolies, undersize stuff etc.
    Not asking for specific holey-holes...(unless of course you wish to share..!!!) just some thoughts from a more experienced guy.
    Thanks.

The easiest way...is to go way up size on your baits...this "self culls" since as a general rule a 12 inch trout will let a really big bait alone( sometimes :rotflmao). This is a much better summer/ Early fall (mullet run) tactic since conventional wisdom has you go way downsize in cold weather (and slow the presentation) since fish get sluggish and in winter are more likely to eat a shrimp.

Also, If it's big trout you are thinking...They will not be with those dinks....Think "birds of a feather"...The big gals are usually in very small pods of 1 to 6 or so fish and are very site specific....Think SHALLOW....

You are going to be somewhat hampered by the Yak down here since it is generally a "Run & Gun" type thing especially in light of the loss of all our Seagrass.....It's now come down to a handfull of tried and true spots that they hang out. That, And for me...the big fish are being sight casted to....very hard unles you have the right Yak that allows you to stand and pole and even then you are giving up a big advantage against me on the nose of my skiff.
    Adam ( Dupont) has been with me when I would say " they'll be right up ahead...."....and most times...given the same relative conditions (tide/water clarity bait concentrations) they are there. The unknown is if they will eat...and like yesterdays trip with Adam...we made a long slow approach...only to have "flipper" cut in ahead of us and totally F the place up... :banghead

I will PM you my phone # and if you have more questions maybe I can help....
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
  • redjimredjim Posts: 774 Officer
    Wow, that was a NICE day!!!
    guido4198 wrote: »
    Thanks.

Guido, everything Duckman has said makes sence for whatever its worth. I have had the same luck as you in the Sebastian area. Never have caught any good sized trout or reds down that way. But I know some people do, Duckman being one. He definately knows what he's doing. Take up here, Mosquito lagoon area, I was out yesterday. Beinh the first time in a long while. first place I worked hard for a couple hrs or more, nothing there. Went a couple miles south to another spotI havent been for a long time. Said screw it, I'm gonna throw this 7-8" mullett out. Darndest thing I ever seen. This nice trout, around 25" grabbed it took out a lot of line. I don't rush on the hook set with live bait. Finally she started rolling this way and that, kept hitting the mullet but couldn't get it in her mouth. Or was just moving the mullett from her bed, trout do this a lot. Finally she went back by the side of boat, 20' or so away. I thought she was hooked and coming back at me, big trout also do this. But no, she gets opposite the boat and rolled on top, slaping the water. Come to find out the mullett was no where near he, she was just p'd off. So was i!! Did see several other big trout and slot reds, very shallow. Going back this afternoon with some better sized mullet. Hoping wife gets something. If so I'll try to post pics, so far I can't seem to. Hoping to come to Long Point soon and troll the river for Grouper if its too rough to go offshore. Keep listening to Duckman, he'll get you going.
  • angler18angler18 Posts: 2,035 Officer
    way to get back in the slam game Joe, nice to see the area producing good again down there

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file