Costa Lens - Does color really make a difference

NSByakNSByak Posts: 424 Officer
Costa is going to be replacing my Jose's and I will be switching frames. Thinking of going away from the gray lens, but wondering if the green or amber makes that much of a difference on the water. Will be fishing Mosquito lagoon and inshore waters most of the time. Just wondering if anyone who has gray and either of the other two lenses can give some comparisons.

• orlandoliteorlandolite Posts: 162 Officer
    There are a ton of threads on this topic already. Some may argue that as long as the lens is quality polarized glass the difference is minimal. However, most people, like myself, will argue that for inshore fishing the amber lens with green mirror is the best; whereas grey with blue mirror is best offshore. It's all about absorbing the colors that are reflecting off the water where you fish, the best lens is the one that absorbs the most.
  • FusionZ06FusionZ06 Posts: 886 Officer
    My personal preference would be the 580g in amber with green mirrror. I fish backwater, inshore and near shore and these have been great. I had grey lenses prior and was definitely missing out on contrast and variations that couldn't be seen without the amber lens.
  • tarponfly49tarponfly49 Posts: 330 Deckhand
    I just switched from my grey Jose's to the corbinas...I'd say the corbinas are very close to the jose in size and fit, but seem to be a more modern look. As far as color, I just went from grey to green mirror 580's and cannot tell you how amazing the difference is! Especially for inshore, shallow water, it makes a HUGE difference to me!
  • haydenfox!#$haydenfox!#$ Posts: 2,344 Captain
    Does the outward mirror tint make a difference, or is it the lens itself?
  • Crab BaitCrab Bait Posts: 271 Officer
    I fish inshore. Amber with green mirror.
  • NSByakNSByak Posts: 424 Officer
    Thank for the input. I have a hard time seeing fish so I'll take all the advantages I can get. Looks like a pair of Fantails with amber/green are in my future.
  • irishff727irishff727 Posts: 939 Officer
    I will chime in only cause I have Exp with this for years I only wore Costa 580 blue mirror glass. Innshore and offshore. Then I decided to get a pair of amber with green mirror in 580 and fished the flats and I have noticed a huge difference.

Time enjoyed wasted usually means I've been fishing
    time enjoyed wasted is not wasted time
  • Widespread PanicWidespread Panic Posts: 179 Deckhand
    Green/amber inshore. I fish offshore more than in, been without an offshore boat for a year so I picked up a pair of green/amber recently. Compared side by side I can see better with the amber. I have man-o-war frames, the side shields make a difference as well.
  • Panhandler80Panhandler80 Posts: 7,810 Moderator
    Expensive sunglasses are almost as ridiculous as the toilet paper / orange juice / toothpaste section when shopping.

For crying out loud! Just give some polarized lenses and some OJ and let's be done with this.

But to each his own... Personally I'd rather make a small car payment or fill 1/4 of my boat's fuel tank than wear fancy shades. But that's just me. Good luck picking out your favorite color.
    "Whatcha doin' in my waters?"
  • kodiakzachkodiakzach Posts: 6,071 Admiral
    Some might say the same thing about weber grills...
    kodiakzach wrote: »
    Some might say the same thing about weber grills...

Hahahaha! Touche.

EDIT: Wife and I just got a belly laugh. :) Like I said, to each his own...
  • The DaveThe Dave Posts: 486 Deckhand
    An amber lens will make colors brighter, which is beneficial in shallow water when looking for differences in bottom or looking for fish.
    I'll think of something witty to put here.....
  • bnzbnz Posts: 183 Officer
    Got a pair of smith photochromic lens glasses in amber and my costa 580 green mirror/amber glasses haven't been out of their case since. ;)
    Oh, and BTW.. just had a MASSIVE flame up on my Weber.

• IRL(Trouter)IRL(Trouter) Posts: 135 Officer
    I just got a pair of Fantail 580 G's Copper/Green Mirror and the difference on the water is AMAZING! I can see everything I couldn't see before and it's awesome.
  • JesseJamesJesseJames Posts: 2,408 Officer
    The mirroring (not sure if that's a real word) should match the color of the reflected light(glare) that you'll be encountering. For inshore/fresh the Green Mirror/Amber is ideal. The mirror eliminates the glare from dirtier/discolored water and the amber lens provides better contrast. Especially in lower or less than ideal light. I also use them when I'm in the tower, offshore, chasing Cobia. The fish absolutely pop out of the water...The Blue Mirror/Gray lens is designed for offshore conditions where the ambient sunlight and glare are more direct and powerful.

I will also add that I am a bow/gun hunter and I recently picked up a pair of Brines in the 580P Sunrise Lens. This lens is great for hunters. I use it at dawn and dusk and during the day when my 580G Blackfins are just too dark and I'm worried about reflections off the mirrored lenses. The light transmission is 27% compared to 11% from the darker mirrored lenses but is still polarized and works well as a pair of shooting glasses. I can still see my fiberoptics through my peep and my reticle through my Leupold great and the yellow lens provides great contrast and not only doesn't affect my depth perception but seems to enhance it. I did get a frame that was a little more snug to my face so I don't have to worry about adjusting them before I go on target... They drive great in darker/overcast conditions too...

• twirptwirp Posts: 1,120 Officer
    Whats already been said is true...I have an expensive boat, expensive rods and reels and expensive tackle, why skimp on the shades? I fish inshore too, so I have amber/green and I also have gray, no mirror, gray/silver mirror and.....gray with blue mirror. All for different types of fishing, granted it's taken me years to accumulate my "quiver" of glasses. I also have lots of rods and reels...some for twitch baits, some for spinners, some for top water etc...just like I have a rifle for deer hunting, a shotgun for bird hunting a .22 for plinking and a pistol for carrying....I'm sure this horse is dead by now :), but you get the point. I also have a pair of "cheapo" Typhoons that I HATE and can't even come close to Costa's, as well as some polarized Oakley Gascans, which can't compete either....both of which are spares on my boat. There is also a HUGE difference from the 580p to the 580g....oh well...go get ya some glasses and see whats out there. :)
  • BColleyBColley Posts: 419 Officer
    I have both the grey and amber lenses. I wear my grey lenses when offshore other than that I always wear my amber lenses.

Chaos Tarpon Bay
    Ocean Master 31
  • pjstevkopjstevko Posts: 513 Officer
    bnz wrote: »
    Got a pair of smith photochromic lens glasses in amber and my costa 580 green mirror/amber glasses haven't been out of their case since. ;)

Smartest thing posted in this whole thread.......get a pair of Smith glasses and you'll never buy another brand again!!!!
    Been using the Fantails with the Amber/Green mirror 580g's and they are so much better than my Jose's with just the 580g gray lens. Much more pop when on the flats. Thanks
  • heavychevy15heavychevy15 Posts: 837 Officer
    So if color really matters... Then will a cheap pair of amber polarized lenses from walmart work better for me then my blue mirror costas when sight fishing for reds?
  • ontheedge5658ontheedge5658 Posts: 2,658 Officer
    Those cheap glasses do not have optically ground lenses. There is distortion to those lenses. If you have perfect eyesite and you put those glasses on things might look distorted. Most of the time your eyes can adjust to it but the longer you wear them the more you strain your eyes.If you wear them all day you might experience tired eyes later that night. I 'm a Licensed Optician since 1980.You only get one set of eyes why not protect them the best way possible. Just my 2 cents.
  • jbiblerjbibler Posts: 168 Officer
    If you're planning to do any sight fishing the amber/copper lense is certainly an advantage. It amazes me that people on here say that it doesn't matter and suggest buying cheap glasses. These are probably the same people that plow over fish and wonder why they don't catch anything.

The 580 glass lenses in amber/copper will allow you to see the subtle changes and spot fish better. I've used Costa's for the last 15 years, but i'm sure other quality lenses are good also.
    I'm sure it makes a difference more in some areas than others depending on water color/clarity.

I never go out without them.
    Josh B.
    | Pathfinder 23 HPS | Yamaha 300 | Power-Pole | Minn-Kota | JL AUDIO | YETI |
  • TipboneTipbone Posts: 190 Officer
    When you say amber with green mirror, is that different than just the green 580G?? I went to the web site and was looking for that type of a description only says lens color.
  • ontheedge5658ontheedge5658 Posts: 2,658 Officer
    Color of mirror is green. Here's their phone # 1-800-447-3700.Make sure you get 580g (glass) and not 580p(plastic) lenses.
    I think the green mirror only comes on the amber lens. I didn't specify the amber lens, only the green mirror and I received the amber lens. I also came across a set of the blue mirror and they are not amber lens. Haven't had them on the water yet to see the difference though.
  • haydenfox!#$haydenfox!#$ Posts: 2,344 Captain
    Does the mirror color make a difference or just the "base"? Can you pair any mirror with any base? Ilike the way the blue looks but fish inshore
  • mastercastermastercaster Posts: 1,257 Officer
    Color makes very little difference even when strictly sight fishing in the shallows.

Browns, ambers, rose etc do offer better contrast of colors in the water, it's easier to see the color in a redfish or the blue on his tail with those as opposed to greys. Your still going to see the fish though with a grey.

The amount of light getting to your eye is what makes the most difference, if your sight fishing you want as much light coming in as you can tolerate. Mirror coatings just block more light.

Summary: It's the % of light getting to your eye and the quality of the lens material that really matters.
  • heavychevy15heavychevy15 Posts: 837 Officer
    thanks mastercaster for that good response. It helped clarify it up :beer

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file