Time for some bird photos

WaterEngineerWaterEngineer Posts: 24,414 Officer
Florida bird season will soon be upon us. Sooooooo, how about a few bird photos, everyone.

Besides, it seems like a lot of "talking" has been getting done on this forum but relatively few photos, recently. I am guilty.

If you got 'em, post 'em. I'll start.

1. Over the pond at city hall, Port Orange.

r8hS3l.jpg

2. On the gate structure for the St. Lucie Canal at Lake O.

JwPo6l.jpg

3. Over Lake O at Belle Glade.

W8qtcl.jpg

4. Green Cay Wetlands, Del Ray.

nl5hgl.jpg

5. Wakodahatchee Wetlands, Del Ray.

UWJacl.jpg

6. Riverbend Park, Jupiter.

b8kLLl.jpg
Which ever one(s) of you little boys complained about quotes in the signature should be ashamed of yourself. :blowkiss

Instead of complaining to the moderators you should just quit playing on this board.

Replies

• lanjamlanjam Posts: 173 Officer
    Nice!
  • lanjamlanjam Posts: 173 Officer
    Just getting back into photography.
  • Cane PoleCane Pole Stuart, FLAPosts: 9,563 Admiral
    That's a 10!
    JwPo6l.jpg
  • WaterEngineerWaterEngineer Posts: 24,414 Officer
    Thanks Eric. Won a photo contest with that one and it is one of my best sellers. Funny thing is I did NOTHING to the photo. I was at the lock at Port Mayaka. This Snowy was standing on a chain crossing the gate bay, about two feet off the water surface. The sun was just peaking over the trees, shining into the gate bay but not onto the water (yet) so the water was still black. Right place, right time.
    Which ever one(s) of you little boys complained about quotes in the signature should be ashamed of yourself. :blowkiss

Instead of complaining to the moderators you should just quit playing on this board.
  • swordfizhswordfizh Posts: 177 Officer
    Thanks WE! Love all of them! I dont have any fancy camera equipment, just my 8mp phone camera, but Ill do my best to take some soon when I head in the backwoods of the Homestead canal system! Lots of birds as well as manatee oogling oportunities back there.

-swordfish
    fishy.gif

"The definition of Insanity is to continue to do the same thing repeatedly and expect a different outcome, thus by definition, fishing is insanity, we are all insane!"
  • ChuckcChuckc Posts: 4,392 Officer
    Agree on #2 and I also like #4 quite a bit.
  • FloridaODFloridaOD Posts: 2,972 Captain
    Wood Stork photo seemngly routine- however location is urban Fishweir creek,Wood Stork considered likely in the area,this photo helped verify presence,was made part of Corp of Engineers file relating to Fishweir creek restoration project.
    Hunters are present yet relatively uncommon in Florida :wink
  • Off Shore DudeOff Shore Dude Posts: 301 Officer
    Here's a few.

Cattle Egret in full plume

original.jpg

Grackle

original.jpg

Bald Eagles in Homer, Alaska

original.jpg
    Good work on the Egret! Nice!

Staring me down while eating a seatrout.
    OSD, tell me abou the eagle photo. Better beamer in play?
  • Off Shore DudeOff Shore Dude Posts: 301 Officer
    Chuckc wrote: »
    OSD, tell me abou the eagle photo. Better beamer in play?

Yep, was shooting with a Canon 30D and 70-200 f2.8 with flash and better beamer. That day was pretty dark.

Other photos from this trip are at http://www.pbase.com/rod_ostoski/homer

Definitely a trip of a lifetime.

original.jpg
  • MenziesMenzies Posts: 19,289 Officer
    Good Lord, and they saw these birds are nearly extinct?

Nice pic.
    Maybe if we tell people that the brain is an App, they will start using it.
  • fish_stixfish_stix Posts: 1,230 Officer
    They were only endangered in some of the Lower 48 states. Alaska has always had good populations as did FL and some of the northern states along the Canadian border. What you see in that pic is just a fraction of the number that stay around Homer Spit during the late spring and summer. They can actually be pests as they hang out at all the fish cleaning stations in the Camper/RV parks along the Spit; will take filets right out of your hand and they get right down in the dumpsters feeding so you have to be careful when you dump a load of fish carcasses in.
  • mississippi macmississippi mac Posts: 4,215 Officer
    IMG_2542ppC.jpg

IMG_2425ppC.jpg

tim
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The Real White Dog

if you can't catch a fish...catch a buzz....
    #12976, joined 8-17-2002
    Tim what is that beast in the second photo?

Craig...
    Tim what is that beast in the second photo?

it's a red breasted merganser....it is a female...
    they are very similar to common merganser in marking for both males and females...

this one was part of a large raft which were feeding at the mouth of a shallow lagoon on horn island off our coast....
    they are pretty intense to watch when the come about a large school of finger mullet...

tim
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The Real White Dog

#12976, joined 8-17-2002
    Tim:

• Pescatoral PursuitPescatoral Pursuit Posts: 5,065 Officer
    Very nice pics. I get crap from my fishing buddies for watching birds, but they are the most beautiful creations in nature.

You guys get extra points for id'ing the lesser known varieties.

Talk about the Bald Eagle, I was driving up 452 right at Lake Yale one afternoon, and one swooped down right in front of me to grab a possum carcass. As it flew away, a big rotten chunk fell from its talons. I admit it put a ding in the image of our nation's symbol that day.
    cuda-title2_zpsb81e4f1d.jpg
    greggl wrote: »
    Strive for self-sacrificial levels of empathy and sympathy. We are only set free by becoming the scapegoat, or sin eater', rather than picking a target and 'throwing stones.'
    nuevowavo wrote:
    Think you're pretty clever? Think again. Time for a break.
    :rotflmao
    Very nice pics. I get crap from my fishing buddies for watching birds, but they are the most beautiful creations in nature.

You guys get extra points for id'ing the lesser known varieties.

Talk about the Bald Eagle, I was driving up 452 right at Lake Yale one afternoon, and one swooped down right in front of me to grab a possum carcass. As it flew away, a big rotten chunk fell from its talons. I admit it put a ding in the image of our nation's symbol that day.

how can anybody give you crap for bird watching while fishing???
    that's part of fishing and being "one" with the water....
    i've waded up to keys wade fishing and seen some remarkable birds in huge rookeries....
    sometimes that was the best part of the day...

but that's just me...

tim
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The Real White Dog

#12976, joined 8-17-2002
  • Moon ShadowMoon Shadow Posts: 764 Officer
    Been enjoying the great birds photo's so I though I would join in with a few.

White Pelicans

CRwithpete014.jpg

CRwithpete009.jpg

A crazy Cormorant

LachuaTrail052.jpg

Great Blue Heron.

LachuaTrail043.jpg

Ibis

LachuaTrail021.jpg

Few different shots of birds.

LachuaTrail045.jpg

LachuaTrail036.jpg

LachuaTrail044.jpg
    MS:

Love the first photo. By the way, the third photo is an Anhinga, not a Cormorant.

LOL. I have a lot of photos like your last one Riverkeeper!

An immature Little Blue Heron from this morning's walkabout at McArthur State Park, at the north end of Singer Island.

XHOeTl.jpg

LOL. I have a lot of photos like your last one Riverkeeper!

yeah....

we all get a bunch of butt shots....lol....

IMG_1245pp.jpg

third year these guys have been nesting on our property....

tim
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The Real White Dog

#12976, joined 8-17-2002
    Craig....
    An immature Little Blue Heron from this morning's walkabout at McArthur State Park, at the north end of Singer Island.

XHOeTl.jpg

very nice indeed....
    the reflection really sets it off...

tim
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The Real White Dog

#12976, joined 8-17-2002
    Thanks, Tim.

Here is the photo in the series before the one above.

QtZPQl.jpg?1

• Pescatoral PursuitPescatoral Pursuit Posts: 5,065 Officer
    Been enjoying the great birds photo's so I though I would join in with a few.

A crazy Cormorant

LachuaTrail052.jpg

Here is a close up pic of a cormorant. The most distinguishing feature from the Anhinga is the hooked beak. They have similar feeding habits but Anhingas are usually solitary, while Cormorants can be found in flock sizes up in the hundreds, decimating fish populations in small lakes. I don't think that Cormorants have to adopt the spread eagle pose to dry their wings, either.
    cuda-title2_zpsb81e4f1d.jpg
    greggl wrote: »
    Strive for self-sacrificial levels of empathy and sympathy. We are only set free by becoming the scapegoat, or sin eater', rather than picking a target and 'throwing stones.'
    nuevowavo wrote:
    Think you're pretty clever? Think again. Time for a break.
    :rotflmao

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file