2012 Flounder poundin' season...... and how to limit out!

Sorry I havnt been able to report much this year, work has been crazy! Now that the season has slowed down though, its time to pick up on my fishing where I left off. Just in time for the flounder run! Many of you know how crazy I am for flounder fishing..... and soon sheepshead, and then schooling reds, and then spring cobia fishing, okay, you get the point, Im crazy about fishing period. Watching all of my friends get to fish way more than me this year has made me a very jealous man! But enough of that, time to get back on the water.

Disclaimer: I am no "expert", just offering what little help I can.

This years flounder run has been very confusing. Ive been trying to keep tabs on my friends since Ive been too busy, and the information they are giving me has been wierd. I finally got out on the water to see for myself on tuesday, and yup, things are not going as expected. First of all, the "thick" of the flounder, is still way up river. "Up river" to me, is downtown. A few friends have been stomping them hard up there, so we went into unfamiliar territory to check things out. We fished several places that looked fishy, you know, docks, rocky areas, coves, creek mouths, etc. and found some fish..... but heres were things get wierd. If downtown is "up" river, and mayport is "down" river, than you guys can figure out what I would mean by "mid" river. Last year "mid" river turned into the slaughter area for flounder, we were limiting out with stud fish every trip. From up river, we followed them through the mid section, then finally started wearing them out in mayport. This year, they seemed to have skipped mid river, at least so far, that is. The few spots mid river that we destroyed them in last year, dont seem to be holding any fish. However, we are already catching plentiful fish in mayport. Very strange IMO. So in short, they are being slayed right now up river, an example would be Luis, who is getting limits in an hour. We cant find a fish mid river, but have started to see numbers in mayport. I hope that helps your search.....

As for baits, if you've been on this forum since last year, you know my affliction with spinner baits. I can catch more fish on spinner baits than 90% of folks with perfect finger mullet. Here is a post from last year that went over 13,000 views were we talked a lot about spinners, how to use them, etc.

http://forums.floridasportsman.com/showthread.php?21796-Flounder-poundin-101-BLING-BLING!-Its-all-about-the-spinners-baby!&highlight=bling+bling+spinners+baby

You can cover lots of ground fast with these spinner baits, and they are as deadly as a bait can be for flounder. Work your spinner back to the boat with a slow retrieve, bouncing it along the bottom back to you. You usually get hit as the bait falls back down. I choose white curly tail or paddletail grubs on the jig, but a finger mullet on that same spinner rig is the deadliest combo of all. Where there is one flounder, there is almost always more, so concentrate your efforts in the same spot several times before moving on, if you want to limit out. Another note is the hook set.... I set the hook immediatly when fishing spinners instead of waiting like I do with live mullet ff rigs. Dont be surprised when you catch flounder nearly as small as the rig its self, and you will catch em all the way up to the doormats.
2012-10-23150401.jpg

One of the better ones from tuesday-
2012-10-23180449.jpg

We did a bunch of exploring new spots on tuesday up river, and only ended with 10 fish. But if the plan works out, we are going to pound some known spots this weekend to get the freezer filled back up. Ill update very soon, and as always, feel free to ask any questions I may be able to help with! Untill then, tight lines my friends!
Tony Eden-
Certified, licsensed and insured, Marine Electronics and rigging master, and "Dream boat" build winner with 20 years of professional experience.
Boattronics.net
Over 80 seperate, recent reviews from captains on this forum-
http://forums.floridasportsman.com/showthread.php?5295-Recent-Boattronics-reviews!
Please call with any questions or a free estimate for the lowest price/best work available!
904-545-1270

Replies

• arunramarunram Posts: 1,628 Officer
    Good Information.
  • SpaldSpald Posts: 19 Greenhorn
    Good info thanks! Do you prefer the chartreuse jig head?
  • Morocco_madnessMorocco_madness Posts: 2,717 Captain
    Nice report Tony. Very helpful. I'll head out tomorrow in hopes of finding some.
  • BoattronicsBoattronics Posts: 5,071 Admiral
    Thanks guys! My pleasure.

Arun.... I know you have been slayin em too, will you share what "section" of the river your fish have been coming from?

Spald... I prefer a chartruese jig head, and I change the weight frequently to match depth and current. I most commonly use 1/4 ounce, for say, up to about 10' depth with medium current, and go heavier from there for more depth/current. And, WELCOME TO THE FORUM!

MM... good luck, keep us posted.

This just in.......I just talked to Luis earlier, that is one fishy sumamubeetch! He said they got a two man limit in about two hours yesterday, IN MAYPORT! He said his bite up river has slowed down, and yesterday they smashed them right here in mayport at a few of his favorite private docks and rocks. No need for any long runs any more, they are now thick in my neck of the river! He said they were all solid fish too, and will post some pics shortly.
    Tony Eden-
    Certified, licsensed and insured, Marine Electronics and rigging master, and "Dream boat" build winner with 20 years of professional experience.
    Boattronics.net
    http://forums.floridasportsman.com/showthread.php?5295-Recent-Boattronics-reviews!
    Please call with any questions or a free estimate for the lowest price/best work available!
    904-545-1270
    Im getting pm's about my rig. "Redfish magic" is the classic bait rig, but Slayer Inc also makes a few versions that are even nicer. You should also try the "in-line" spinner style near grass lines. Something about that "saftey pin" style, I have always loved them. They work fantastic on reds too, as the name implies, so if there are any reds in the area, you will know that too.
    Tony Eden-
    Boattronics.net
    904-545-1270
    Braved the wind for a few hours today, found a new spot but then got ran off, with no signs posted in the area, I was pretty bummed out after catching 3 flatties in about 10 minutes..... so we headed back to some old mayport holes. Caught 7 or 8 fish with 5 keepers to about 5lbs. The wind was brutal!
    uploadfromtaptalk1351280622415.jpg

This was Luis' slayfest the other day.
    uploadfromtaptalk1351280710418.jpg
    Tony Eden-
    Boattronics.net
    904-545-1270
  • pilingjunkypilingjunky Posts: 2,044 Officer
    Thanks for the pep talk on spinners. Im'll try em' out this year!!!!
    Good luck fellas!
    You'll love 'em Steve...... congrats again on your recent doormatt!
    Tony Eden-
    Boattronics.net
    904-545-1270
  • redmasterredmaster Posts: 50 Deckhand
    :beer
  • optimistic Angleroptimistic Angler Posts: 531 Officer
    Great post Tony, I have followed your reports from last year and I have learned a lot. I fish east central and it's about time for me to get out there. I need to stock up on spinners and bring my big cooler, like you my family loves Flounder and none goes to waist. And there is a "Add to Ignore List" that you can use to filter out the noise.
  • nitroskiffnitroskiff Posts: 1,617 Captain
    Lack of fishing is making me grumpy! :) sorry
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Nitro Performance Bass Boats
    You'll love 'em Steve...... congrats again on your recent doormatt!

:beer
    nitroskiff wrote: »
    Lack of fishing is making me grumpy! :) sorry

You got my respect. Takes a real man to say sorry. Tight lines friend!

Arun.
    arunram wrote: »
    You got my respect. Takes a real man to say sorry. Tight lines friend!

Arun.

tight lines and fair skies......:) ty
    Tony, you know I luv you:)

I dont keep alot of fish I should. To each there own. If you have alot of people to feed, or a fish fry in plans, thats fine. Personally, I will not keep fish if I have fish in the freezer. I do not like fish frozen for more then 2 weeks. I have my own regs on my boat. Reds, 22"-27". Trout, 17"-+. Flounder, 16" +. But thats just me. I keep what I need for a few meals. I know I will be out again and catch more for table fair. Im not hating, just looking out for the future

I dont keep alot of fish I should. To each there own. If you have alot of people to feed, or a fish fry in plans, thats fine. Personally, I will not keep fish if I have fish in the freezer. I do not like fish frozen for more then 2 weeks. I have my own regs on my boat. Reds, 22"-27". Trout, 17"-+. Flounder, 16" +. But thats just me. I keep what I need for a few meals. I know I will be out again and catch more for table fair. Im not hating, just looking out for the future
    That's good policy in my book.
  • kajokajo Posts: 4,619 Moderator
    So I guess not one of you guys have a freezer in your house?

If its legal its not your concern how much people keep.

I would hope you guys are not being hypocritical and freezing ANYTHING to eat for another day. Or are you?

I totally support your catches and pics tony as long as its legal.

Dave
    julington creek carpet care

www.jccarpetcare.com
  • Morocco_madnessMorocco_madness Posts: 2,717 Captain
    **** Tony... i was looking forward to seeing more progress on this thread. Keep up the good work. A lot of us appreciate the reports. I know i do. On a side note, you can keep a 2 person limit and consume them all on the same night with a very average sized family. for me, those Flatties in Luis photo aren't enough to make it to the freezer:) I have a lot of large get togethers at my house and we blow through all that i can catch with zero problems. If it's legal, enjoy the payoff. You worked for it.
  • Kapn SkinnyKapn Skinny Posts: 1,008 Officer
    I have four freezers and there all full. I eat like its my last meal.!!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Kapn SkinnyKapn Skinny Posts: 1,008 Officer
    p.s my dog thinks I'm the S@#T
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I have four freezers and there all full. I eat like its my last meal.!!!!
    If I don't get to fish before our annual YMCA Adventure Guides campout Nov. 9th I could use a couple bags of fillets. It would be going to a good cause, Kapn!!!
    They're gonna go bad anyway when the dollar collapses soon, the power grid goes down... We need to eat them NOW!
    Just Sayin'
  • buddybarnesbuddybarnes Posts: 86 Deckhand
    pissing and moaning over a under the limit catch, unreel, even if it was a limit, isnt that the law, must have never seen an inshore netter in ft pierce.

I guess it's a matter of perspective I don't keep any reds or trout or flounder under 16"
    I guess it's a matter of perspective I don't keep any reds or trout or flounder under 16"

:). So how much meat could you get off those 17" reds you kept??.
    Just kidding. Couldn't resist! Hahaha.

Arun.
    arunram wrote: »
    :). So how much meat could you get off those 17" reds you kept??.
    Just kidding. Couldn't resist! Hahaha.

Arun.

:wink
  • ElementElement Posts: 1,749 Officer
    My rule outside of standard regulations is "don't waste it" and freezing it is not wasting it. I put plenty of fish in the freezer for future use. Not like I have a chest freezer full or anything, but if you store it properly it is fine for a very long time. I don't get out enough to have the luxury of fresh fish all the time, so if I am lucky enough to have a great day, the freezer gets replenished. When I lived on a creek I never froze anything because I could paddle out at any given time and come home with fresh fish, but those were the good ol' days. Now I'm lucky if I get out twice a month.
    My thoughts exactly!
    Tony Eden-
    Boattronics.net
    904-545-1270
  • ChippyDieselChippyDiesel Posts: 457 Officer
    This thread needs to move back to FISHING! Soooo about the flounder fishing...
  • Lug ManLug Man Posts: 427 Officer
    You guys make it look so easy!

If I don't get offshore this weekend and see if the gags have moved in, I'll be scouting around in the Grady for my first doormat too!
    Do you think the will be as thick around the nearshore wrecks and reefs?
    For Sale RESTORED 1988 Grady White 228G Seafarer
    Yamaha 200
    goto: http://jacksonville.craigslist.org/boa/5034729266.html
  • MaLMaL Posts: 176 Officer
    I don't have a single **** fish in my freezer and I'm hating it.
    I got started late this year, first wade fishing and now fishing from a kayak, second trip in the kayak I pulled out a 19" trout and a 20+ flounder, my first flounder ever and I want more.
    I live in Tallahassee so I've only been going to the gulf once or twice a week and just been getting skunked recently.

but yea, white curly tail on a spinner was always my go-to, in fact, that was my only plastic bait and only spinner for years.
    somehow I lost my way when i lived in panama city beach and starting fishing only shrimp from the jetty, guess i got lazy.

I only recently fixed that situation by buying a single redfish magic just to get started. (very tight budget, maybe 1 lure per week.)
    have not used it yet but the plan was to buy a handful and some new curly grubs, gulp! these days i guess.
    thanks for the thread, it was a good read.

now i just need to find a good spot south of Tallahassee and get back into the game. :)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file