VMax SHO 150 price?

mtd885mtd885 Posts: 1,159 Officer
Has anyone priced out one of these yet? I'm wondering if in this case lighter is better using a 4 banger instead of a 6? Pro's and cons?

Replies

• 91tiger91tiger Posts: 507 Officer
    MTD, not sure what they are going to list for but I'm sure it will be a premium for the first 6 months or more until dealers can readily get them. I wish you would order one and hang it on your Egret and give us some run numbers. I need to see if it's something I can't live without. I knew they would come out with this right after I build my Egret with a F150. Honestly they would have to come out with a 175 SHO before I would consider an upgrade.
  • polepositionpoleposition Posts: 1,052 Officer
    I do know it is a BIG and heavy motor. It looks like the cowling is much "higher" than the F150. That might present issues with a poling tower. Still, I would love to hear how one runs on a 18'9.
  • mtd885mtd885 Posts: 1,159 Officer
    Big and heavy compared to what? The media hype is 12#'s more than my HPDI 150 and when you factor in no oil well it comes in lighter. The problem for me is the 17k price tag!
    mtd885 wrote: »
    Big and heavy compared to what? The media hype is 12#'s more than my HPDI 150 and when you factor in no oil well it comes in lighter. The problem for me is the 17k price tag!

The standard F150 is some 480 lbs DRY. Add fluids on the motor and the hung weight is pushing 490+. Reports are the 150 SHO is 15lbs give or take HEAVIER than the standard F150. Compare that to 431lbs for the Opti and 418 for the Etec. Oil reservoirs are on board, so that actually is a "no add" on two strokes (mine is under the drivers seat and very close to the COG on the boat). I'm actually more of a Yamaha fan than anything else, but after having the F150 on a prior flats skiff, I'm waiting for it to go on a diet. Some don't care about the extra weight. Some don't understand what an extra 70lbs hanging off the transom does to handling and performance. That be the case, there is an A$$ for every seat in this world. If it comes in lighter than 450, it is a slam dunk for my repower.
  • Renagade69Renagade69 Posts: 1,213 Officer
    The one at the Miami Show did not have the sho gear case that comes with the bigger motors. It had a standard F150 gear case. The streamline design of the gear case is good for 2 MPH plus. I hope it was a prototype at the show.
  • FlatsBoyFlatsBoy Posts: 1,273 Officer
    mtd885 wrote: »

480 LBS dry add oil & a prop! It is tall good luck fitting it under the standard tower height on a 189.Yes also standard gear case!
    Not for me!

20130216_105602_zps00116a1d.jpg
    20130216_105610_zps8ed83450.jpg
  • BluebirdBluebird Posts: 126 Officer
    i was thinking more along the lines of the F200. I already have the F150 and it really doesnt way anymore and only about $500 more than the SHO. The engines are nearly identical except for bigger pistons etc. I think it only weighs 2-3 pounds more than the 150. Oh and screw the insurance venue, as far as im concerned i could pull the numbers off the cowling and have everyone think its my old 150 :)
    If you do a F200 you might as well get the 200 SHO. If you do the 200 SHO you might as well do the 250 SHO.
    Bluebird wrote: »
    . Oh and screw the insurance venue, as far as im concerned i could pull the numbers off the cowling and have everyone think its my old 150 :)

I would be tempted for the same, but not sure the new 200 comes in 20" shaft. Also, just about the time you really need insurance is when they will do EVERYTHING possible within their rights to deny a claim. They may seem stupid, but they have seen the cowling trick before. Likely you will never need that type of coverage, but if you do....
  • JBLocalJBLocal Posts: 154 Officer
    That bullet nose high speed gearcase will not have anything to do with the top end until speeds of over 70mph come into play, and that will never happen on a 189 with a 150.
  • Pat LPat L Posts: 440 Officer
    ^^^ Correct, in some cases it may even slow you down.
    Still a beast of a motor on a flats boat!:Agree
  • BluebirdBluebird Posts: 126 Officer
    With all due respect Renegade, The F200 is the same in line 4 as the F150. The SHOs if im not mistaken run V Blocks. The 150 is a four cylinder and the 200+ SHOs are all 6 cylinders. So as far as weight to power when comparing the F200 and the SHO i think its a no brainer.
  • Pat LPat L Posts: 440 Officer
    The SHO VF150 is a 4 cyl and is built off of the new F200 4 cyl

http://www.yamahaoutboards.com/VMAXSHO150
    Bluebird wrote: »
    With all due respect Renegade, The F200 is the same in line 4 as the F150. The SHOs if im not mistaken run V Blocks. The 150 is a four cylinder and the 200+ SHOs are all 6 cylinders. So as far as weight to power when comparing the F200 and the SHO i think its a no brainer.

It is 15 pounds more of motor and 100 more hp from a 150 to a 250. Move the batteries forward and hold on.The sho 250 is just 505 lbs vrs 490 lbs for the 150/200. If you want power you might as well go for real grunt.
  • Daniel79Daniel79 Posts: 39 Deckhand
    What I don't understand it, if you look at the yamaha performance bulletin for the F150 and 150 SHO on a maverick 18 hpx, they are almost identical. The boat with the f150 was heavier overall as tested, yet faster to plane and faster 0-30 mph. The SHO had a marginal higher top end speed.
    Those performance bulletins are not reliable nor realistic. They usually are with unrigged boats in the best of conditions with suspect prop choices....and for what it's worth, only a **** would hang the SHO or standard F150 on the HPX or any other poling skiff.
  • OldHewes18RedOldHewes18Red Posts: 308 Officer
    Those performance bulletins are not reliable nor realistic. They usually are with unrigged boats in the best of conditions with suspect prop choices....and for what it's worth, only a **** would hang the SHO or standard F150 on the HPX or any other poling skiff.

But... But, it's a Yamaha and a four stroke... And I'm running a powertech prop.... And Rick Murphy runs one.... And skip said it will do 65mph
  • OldHewes18RedOldHewes18Red Posts: 308 Officer
    And hai Skip! Since we're talking about ****, please say hai to your two mods, Woodsie and Bubba!!
    But... But, it's a Yamaha and a four stroke... And I'm running a powertech prop.... And Rick Murphy runs one.... And skip said it will do 65mph

Awesome!
    :banana:crowd:funnypost
  • sterlingxs22sterlingxs22 Posts: 158 Officer
    I guess if you can't hang a 150 SHO on the Back of the egret it must be of no use , this is a very predictable forum.
  • mtd885mtd885 Posts: 1,159 Officer
    I think he meant you should not be thinking of putting a 480# motor on a technical poling skiff, which the Egret is NOT. Hal Chittum got it right with the Islamorada 18 RUNNING A 90HP! If I were looking for a new skiff I'd be looking at that skiff for sure. With the price of fuel rising some of us either have to size down or get more efficient.
    I guess if you can't hang a 150 SHO on the Back of the egret it must be of no use , this is a very predictable forum.

You do not have to read the forum. No one is making you.I am of the opposite opinion of you. I am tired of the predictable users complaining, or what I call crying "Egret". There are allot of Egret owners that contribute to the forum by helping out when they can.
    Putting the 150 SHO weighing in at 480 lbs. I might as well just put a put a Mercury 250 Pro XS or a 250 SHO at 505 lbs for some real power!
    I'll stick with the lighter 2 strokes for the smaller skiffs like the 189 Egret or the Maverick HPX 18 or any other 18 foot flats/Poling skiff!

...the point was it just does not make sense to put the SHO or F150 on any poler. The HPX-18 or Vantage or Dolphin Etc. do what they are designed to do best with appropriate power. That being something less than an almost 500lb motor. Further, I would extend that to any skiff. If I had a bass boat, bay boat, center console etc. then the SHO would likely be my first choice.

I guess if I had a Sterling I would be irritable and prone to provocation too, so I see you working.
  • Lunch time crowdLunch time crowd Posts: 97 Deckhand
    ...the point was it just does not make sense to put the SHO or F150 on any poler. The HPX-18 or Vantage or Dolphin Etc. do what they are designed to do best with appropriate power. That being something less than an almost 500lb motor. Further, I would extend that to any skiff. If I had a bass boat, bay boat, center console etc. then the SHO would likely be my first choice.

I guess if I had a Sterling I would be irritable and prone to provocation too, so I see you working.

Talking about putting heavy motors on technical poling skiffs. I always wonder why those guys with those type boats install trolling motors, power poles, and heavy coolers on their boat. You'd think they wanted to go skinny in the first place???
    Talking about putting heavy motors on technical poling skiffs. I always wonder why those guys with those type boats install trolling motors, power poles, and heavy coolers on their boat. You'd think they wanted to go skinny in the first place???

"I'll have a quarter pounder with cheese, large fries and an apple pie....and oh, a diet coke".
  • sterlingxs22sterlingxs22 Posts: 158 Officer
    I wanted to see how long it took for you to tell me how sorry my Sterling is. ( made in Fl.and it's my second and I really love it).
    Well, you have your answer. Good for you!
  • FS DanFS Dan Posts: 2,322 Moderator
    And hai Skip! Since we're talking about ****, please say hai to your two mods, Woodsie and Bubba!!

So am I Woodsie or Bubba????

Lets keep things on topic please.....

CMD
    Formerly Catmandew

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file