Hillsboro Inlet 2/5---> Tripletail to the rescue!

I got my Forum buddy Kevin (Treetopflyn) to join me for a day of trolling and trying for some dolphin. The Portugese Man-O-Wars were thicker than I have ever seen in 30+ years of fishing off of South Florida! We pressed on beyond most of them but after 2+ hours of zero hits and finally finding a scattered weedline, we nearly ran over a big pod of nice tripletail!

Kev tossed over a Capt Mark's Marker but when we came back the tripletails were long gone. We went ahead and worked/drifted into the weedline and soon found a bucket that held fish. Kev pulled two off of that bucket using a small, yellowtail jig tipped with a slice of a bally. A few twitches of that in front of them would trigger a strike.

We later moved on and soon found a big, white canvas bag that was holding more tripletails. I was able to get in the action and we ended up with our limit of 2 per harvestor. The funny part was that I did not have my trusty FS Fish Stick to measure them with! We tore the boat apart to find any kind of measuring device, but no dice. We did have a copy of the Fishing Regs themselves and since we knew that they were the standard 8 1/2 by 11 inches, we used that to make sure that we were at/over the 15" minimum...... and we were good on all four fish....... which was the Max for two people.

We trolled some more but finally called it a day with some nice eating fish in the box. We did see one school of 'phins but could not get any hits. There was a LOT of sea life out there todat though! Turtles, bait fish, triggers, bar jacks, etc...... that and lots of trash, buckets, boards, etc..... all mixed in with the scattered weedline which was in 750 feet. Some guys are gonna have a good time tomorrow a bit up the road from us!

001_zps6964ef63.jpg

002_zpscce2e117.jpg

005_zps42a3c334.jpg

008_zpsfd18f2a5.jpg
"Key Largo is too small to have a town drunk, so we all take turns."

Replies

• GT FishGT Fish Posts: 9,448 Officer
    Heck yeah Gary!
    mousey.gif
    61903c544aca27b57fb2aa29e6bc4a3b.gif
    gnat.gifWzz6I.gif
  • Gary MGary M Posts: 12,969 AG
    GT Fish wrote: »
    Heck yeah Gary!

After I finished cleaning them, I was kind of glad that we had a 4 fish limit! If you have never cleaned one, they're tough. Like sharks they actually are a "pre-historic" fish and they are almost like swimming porcupines with their fins and barbs...... I wisely used a thick towel to handle them. And I used my standard "triggerfish technique" as well.........

I pan fried some last night and with a few fried shrimp and some yellow rice, it was yummy!!
  • Dream CatcherDream Catcher Posts: 205 Officer
    They are great eating, we scupped a 20" 2 weeks ago swordfishing. Just swam into the light.

Hadn't caught one that big in years.
    Its NOT the boat that catches the fish. :fishing
  • dpdashdpdash Posts: 5,344 Admiral
    very nice! those are delicious!
    dpdash wrote: »
    very nice! those are delicious!

I think that if I ever catch another one that I might trying grilling it. Fillet it but leave the skin on to help hold in the moisture and help hold it together since it's a pretty delicate fillet.

Kev's got a family so he took 5 fillets and I kept 3, one of which I had last night. Jenn and I will have the other two this weekend.... maybe lightly dusted and then baked.
  • Venture Ho!Venture Ho! Posts: 47 Deckhand
    Nice job Gary.
  • ZimmerNoleZimmerNole Posts: 9,244 Officer
    Nicely done, TT is great raw as well!

Enjoy some of the best eatin' fish in our waters
    Heroes On the Water
    South Florida Chapter Coordinator
    https://www.facebook.com/HOWSouthFloridaChapter

"Helping find peace for those who fought to defend it!" :USA
    FREEDOM CAPTURED!

FSU Alumni GO NOLES!!! >>
    >

2013 Hobie Outback
    ZimmerNole wrote: »

I need to set up a small bowl of soy & wasabi for when I'm cleaning fish! And I did have a few bites of the tripletail and it was nice....... very mild. Cooked, it gets bright white......
  • copout@castawayscopout@castaways Posts: 5,779 Officer
    good stuff Gary! you were close enough to drop for some tiles.
    good stuff Gary! you were close enough to drop for some tiles.

I've never caught a tile or eaten one, but I'd like to do both some day! I sold my deep-drop rig last year to Edk from the Forum so maybe he'll take me out one day to search for some.......
  • flatsfisherflatsfisher Posts: 1,381 Officer
    way to save the day!
  • FshAddictFshAddict Posts: 31 Deckhand
    If you ever get caught again without a tape, remember a dollar bill is barely over 6 inches.
    FshAddict wrote: »
    If you ever get caught again without a tape, remember a dollar bill is barely over 6 inches.

Good idea! We were going crazy trying to find something with a "known" size! The 8 1/2 by 11 inch page of the FWC Regs themselves were the best that we had. Anticipating "dolphin" that would go in the boat's fish box, I did not bring my Igloo that has the tape measure on the lid! We were confident that we were "okay" but we laughed about how we'd tell The Man just "how" we measured them!

And yes, they did "save the day"!
  • alacrityalacrity Posts: 2,653 Captain
    great report gary. nice fish.
    But if you only have love for your own race
    Then you only leave space to discriminate
    And to discriminate only generates hate
    And when you hate then you're bound to get irate
  • treetopflyntreetopflyn Posts: 3,937 Officer
    Gmon thanks for the invite I had a blast as always.
    Gmon thanks for the invite I had a blast as always.

I told Jenn later how great it was to finally have someone with me to help out with the boat chores at the end of the day! So, thank you!

We should have better luck the next time we fish, if ya know what I mean! :dance
  • Triple Threat 33TTriple Threat 33T Posts: 18,638 Admin
    Gary M wrote: »
    After I finished cleaning them, I was kind of glad that we had a 4 fish limit! If you have never cleaned one, they're tough. Like sharks they actually are a "pre-historic" fish and they are almost like swimming porcupines with their fins and barbs...... I wisely used a thick towel to handle them. And I used my standard "triggerfish technique" as well.........

I pan fried some last night and with a few fried shrimp and some yellow rice, it was yummy!!

Fantastic table fare! You just have to remember to cut them from the inside out.
    "Lord, hold our troops in your loving hands. Protect them as they protect us. Bless them and their families for the selfless acts they perform for us in our time of need. Amen."
    You just have to remember to cut them from the inside out.

Yup, which is why I mentioned that I used my "triggerfish technique" on the tripletails........ :grin

Anyone who just starts whacking away at either of those two fish, must enjoy knife sharpening!
  • RiffeLiffeRiffeLiffe Posts: 37 Deckhand
    What kind of boat were you in?
    RiffeLiffe wrote: »
    What kind of boat were you in?

My trusty, 2001, 30 Grady-White walkaround....... the HEY MON!

Did you see us out there? There were 3-4-5 other boats that were working that same long scattered weedline.....

Old Bahama Bay, West End a few years ago..... We had the retractable aft Bimini retracted that day of course.....

030.jpg
    ZimmerNole wrote: »

Had the last two fillets last night. I had a small bowl of wasabi & soy ready as I trimmed the fillets! Very mild flavor.

Made a big, many-ingredient green salad from veggies that we bought from "Robert Is Here" down in the Redlands the other day on the way back from the Keys. I lightly dusted the fillets on both sides with Emeril's Original Essence and then pan fried them with just some spray olive oil in the pan on med-high heat, gently flipping them after about 90 seconds. Then another 2 minutes or so with the heat then turned off. They came out so well, that Jenn made a nice TT sandwich before she ate her salad!!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file