Help! Birds are pooping on my patio and new paddle fans!

Got some new paddle fans on the main, unscreened patio here in Key Largo and some birds (doves I think) assume that the blades are tree branches since the look like big palm fronds, etc. Not only are they pooping on the patio floor but also on the expensive fan blades!!

What can I do to send them the signal "Keep Out"?

Plastic owl? Rubber snake? I know that boaters sometimes use those to keep pesky birds off.

Suggestions and ideas will be greatly appreciated!!

cenwb_venewb_0.png
"Key Largo is too small to have a town drunk, so we all take turns."

Replies

• ontheedge5658ontheedge5658 Posts: 2,658 Officer
    Shotgun or paint blades White.
  • BacklashBacklash Posts: 879 Officer
    Leave the fan on low 24/7... "lets see ya land on THIS dove!"
    An exterior ceiling fan on the oceanside has a very limited life span anyways.

And then screen in the patio.?.
  • Gary MGary M Posts: 12,970 AG
    Shotgun or paint blades White.

Haha! I just popped in to West Marine in KL and "Larry" there laughed when I told him my "problem" and directed me to the nearby gun shop!! "You might want to become good friends with your neighbors first"!

They have three kinds of plastic owls, including one who's head spins around in the breeze. Visions of Linda Blair's head spinning in The Exocist popped in my head! They also have a 6' snake and all sorts of contraptions up to a $249 sonic beam kind of thing. I decided to wait and see what pops up on this thread.

The problem with a plastic owl/snake is that if it stays in the same spot and postion, pretty soon the birds are crapping on them! My neighbor in Lauderdale had a 4 foot long "gator" on the swim platform of his 33 Trojan and I laughed when the birds used to land and then sit on the gator's head!

Painting them white might be an option....... good idea.

Backlash-- We did a LOT of research two years ago on Outdoor rated fans as we wanted three for our new patio in Lauderdale. The ones that we got (Dan't Fan City in Hillsboro) are rated for 30 years of outdoor use and have fully encapsulated motors. When I asked him how to clean them, he replied, "Blast them with a hose" and I knew these would work. So, we bought two more for the fixer-upper in KL. These are not to be confused with the $79 fans at Lowe's. They were pricey, but we hope it's worth it in the long run..... Guess I better get out there and blast the poop off with the hose!

Screening? Not an option here........ it's part of the reason we bought this house...... nice breezes off the nearby ocean.

We have a toy "rat" that's kind of a Halloween thing and we enjoy strategically placing it around the house for female guests to "enjoy" on occasion. It's damned near a foot long with a long curly tail and nasty looking teeth, so he's out on the patio right now on his first day on Guard Duty so we'll see how that works.
  • mikeloewmikeloew Posts: 302 Deckhand
    you might want to try putting some mothballs in a pair of your wifes nylons and hang it close by. I have tried this before with good results. You only need about 6-8
    Marathon vacation home for rent

http://www.floridakeyshomeforrent.com/
  • TrollaltdeleteTrollaltdelete Posts: 643 Officer
    string up 20 lb fishing line and the birds will avoid it.
    Take out your boat, make a memory!
  • Ron@.38 SpecialRon@.38 Special Posts: 6,626 Admiral
    The only way to have that permanently fixed is to leave the fan on low. Trust me I have been dealing with this for 20 years at my house.

Funny story, one thanksgiving before everyone came over, wifey cleaned the back patio and decorated all the tables. Just as she finished, she waled over and turned on the switch that controls both fans. We both stood there as we heard things flying around and hitting and landing on everything. She wasn't happy with dove poop all over the thanksgiving decorations and patio. Fans have run on slow ever since that day.
  • edczachor36edczachor36 Posts: 219 Officer
    We tried the owl...doves thought it was their mother. I might try the moth balls. Otherwise we're gonna run the fishing line trick.
  • Reel TeaseReel Tease Posts: 609 Officer
    Bring the fan down and cut abunch of stiff wire about 2" and with a hot glue gun. stick them all over the top side of the fan in a vertical position especially around the edges.
  • INTREPID377INTREPID377 Posts: 3,697 Captain
    Here's another endorsement for leaving the fan on 24/7. Birds aside, running the fans makes them last longer. Turning them off allows the salt moisture to rust the bearings, rotor etc. and they fail twice as fast.

FYI - Get use to replacing fans every 3 to 5 years.
  • BigguyBigguy Posts: 84 Deckhand
    try a rubber snake. I live in Key Largo too and used to get them in the tiki. Got a snake and no more pigeons. Just have to move it around every once in a while.
    FYI - Get use to replacing fans every 3 to 5 years.

I sure hope not! We bought these fans because they are outdoor rated for 30 years with fully enclosed motors....... Time will tell of course!

Some good ideas and funny stories, thanks!

Last night, I gave my new Guard Rat the night off and brought him inside. Sure enough, I wake up this morning to the coo-coo of the doves and when I peeked out, there was one on each of the fans! :banghead They flew off when I opened the patio door but have not been back since the Rat is back on duty....... but I can still barely hear them off in the distance....

Maybe I'll call PETA and ask them what to do........ :rotflmao
    mikeloew wrote: »
    you might want to try putting some mothballs in a pair of your wifes nylons and hang it close by. I have tried this before with good results. You only need about 6-8

6-8 wives? I nearly filed bankruptcy from # 1 !! :hairraiser
  • Mark O.Mark O. Posts: 3,376 Captain
    I'm thinking plug the fan into one of those "Clappers" (Clap-on, Clap off)...but adjust the microphone so it becomes a "Flapper" when the birds fly close...Flap-On!
    Here's another endorsement for leaving the fan on 24/7.

A boating buddy has his boat at Blue Waters Marina in Key Largo right now. The owner has a tiki hut with two fans and he also runs them on low, 24/7 so the slight increase in my electric bill just may end being the "price" that I pay to have a clean patio and clean fans.......

And the Guard Rat is free too!
    Update!

Jenn has named the Guard Rat
    > The Dove-inator!!

He seems to be working! I left the house for a few days and when I got back yesterday, there was no poop on the patio nor on the fans!

Here's The Dove-inator hard at work!

002_zps4eea1969.jpg

And I think that I mentioned that this rat is actually pretty nasty looking! He's about 10 inches long....

005_zpsa48dca8a.jpg

003_zpse70fb617.jpg

This morning, I heard no birds cooing but I did place The Dove-inator onto the seat of a white patio chair and a bit later, a dove took a seat on a fan, so that obviously did not work. So he's been demoted to floor duty only! I try to move him around every few hours, but he may not be the long term solution........ we'll see......
  • Vaca FritaVaca Frita Posts: 51 Greenhorn
    wow thats an UGLY rat:puke
  • Reel TeaseReel Tease Posts: 609 Officer
    that thing might have been alive at one point
  • Egrets LandingEgrets Landing Posts: 930 Officer
    I would just screen the porch off with a door and forget about the birds.
    Funny thing this morning. I had the patio doors opened while I sat inside on the couch. I saw a dove fly in and land on the porch railing. He sat there for about a minute with his head bobbing all over, obviously checking the Dovinator out! The Dovinator was pointed right at him. Suddenly another dove flew in near the perched one and they both immediately flew off! It was almost like the second one flew in to rescue the first one from certain death! :willynilly

Hehe........
  • RedRichRedRich Posts: 239 Deckhand
    Something else to try is small strips (4-6") of mylar tape hung vertically along top edge of patio frame or from ceiling on from fan pulls. Birds don't like the flash. I noticed at Ft. Lauderdale airport that the drainage ditches on edges have stakes with strings with pieces of mylar tape every few feet to keep ducks and waders away from runways.
    http://www.homedepot.com/p/t/202347262?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&storeId=10051&N=5yc1vZ1xqdZars1&R=202347262
    mixed reviews - looks like it is best in breezy areas that make the tape flash.
  • flatsfisherflatsfisher Posts: 1,381 Officer
    bb gun, it works wonders
  • tagtag Posts: 8,668 Admiral
    Screen in the porch
    bb gun, it works wonders

Yeah I was thinking that this morning when the first dove was sitting there on the railing! :machinegun He was about 5 feet from the grill!

Screens are not really an option for us. Where the house is located, we get awesome breezes off the ocean..... which we love.
  • KeyzNCKeyzNC Posts: 143 Officer
    Thought of this post at the Boat Show last weekend, there was a whole booth designated for keeping birds off stuff
    Nicole
    RF Outfitters
    Custom Fishing Apparel, Specializing in Sublimation

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file