Scoters in South Florida - 1/5/13

Havent posted any duck reports from this year so far but weve been having a pretty good season. Quite a few limits of ringers/teal, a couple redheads, a few pintails, ruddys, mottled ducks, blue bills, etc...
I shot something this morning I never would have imagined could make it this far south, a pair of black scoters. We were hunting bluebills when I had a group of 20 large divers come in, I peeled out 2, a drake and a hen. Looked them up online and it shows their migration starting up around Newfoundland and only making it as far south as about Maine. Pretty cool, they'll be on the wall soon. Also, my girlfriend killed her first duck this morning....good hunt.

Replies

• TurkeymasterTurkeymaster Posts: 210 Officer
    Very nice and congratulations...I had to hunt Casco bay Maine to get mine on the wall.
    "If we lose freedom here, there is no place to escape to. This is the last stand on Earth ...
    Ronald Reagan
  • SpineymanSpineyman Posts: 7,517 Admiral
    Took a small wrong turn. Good job on the rare birds.
    AKA Jiggin Junkie

II Chronicles 7:14

if My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land.

• BallyHoe420BallyHoe420 Posts: 41 Deckhand
    Nice Kills! If you don't mind me asking what part of South Florida were you guys hunting don't need any secret sports just a general idea.

Thanks
  • dukhuntr1991dukhuntr1991 Posts: 305 Officer
    Nice Kills! If you don't mind me asking what part of South Florida were you guys hunting don't need any secret sports just a general idea.

Thanks

brevard county
  • ChopperChopper Posts: 104 Officer
    The stump has seen them before. Nice birds.
  • gottheitch22gottheitch22 Posts: 4,078 Captain
    NICE JOB
    living life as i like
  • gator4evergator4ever Posts: 2,501 Captain
    Brevard County is in So Fla???

When you order a new GPS get one for the scooters.

Just kidding nice shooting.
    "sometimes it's OK just to kill a little time" my grandpa 1972
    gator4ever wrote: »
    Brevard County is in So Fla???

When you order a new GPS get one for the scooters.

Just kidding nice shooting.

Anything south of there is considered Mexico these days, not Florida :)
  • Egreen cobraEgreen cobra Posts: 225 Officer
    We've been seening them mixed in and around the Bluebills in the Ft. Myers area.

Along with a Razorbill or two...
  • Jeff AllenJeff Allen Posts: 50 Deckhand
    Very Nice!! I have heard there have been a few around.
  • MootyBluesMootyBlues Posts: 24 Greenhorn
    Had a flight of a bout 50 of um buzz right over me surfing in Smyrna about a month ago. Had to look them up on the internet to figure out ahwt they were. Cool looking ducks wouldn't mind having one mounted congrats.
  • ecueagleecueagle Posts: 478 Officer
    I grew up in NC and we had surf scoters every year. Needless to say its not FL but a lot further South than ME. They are some thick skinned birds that don't kill easy. Great shooting!
  • ecueagleecueagle Posts: 478 Officer
    Should have clarified surf and black scoters are common on the Pamlico sound in NC.
  • okieokie Posts: 37 Deckhand
    maybe it superstorm sandy had some thing to do wiht it. we killed ediers here on saginaw bay this year. have never seenthat in my 28 year of hunting. okie
    okie wrote: »
    maybe it superstorm sandy had some thing to do wiht it. we killed ediers here on saginaw bay this year. have never seenthat in my 28 year of hunting. okie
    i hadnt thought about the storm possibly pushing them down. those eiders are some awesome looking ducks.
  • ChetChet Posts: 262 Deckhand
    Just think you saved him that long **** flight back up north.
  • Derek ArsuaDerek Arsua Posts: 2,474 Officer
    That's pretty awesome man. I have heard of some being sighted around munion island a week or so ago here in west palm beach
  • FS JeffFS Jeff Posts: 368 Moderator
    Few big rafts of them posted up off Jensen Beach right now, oceanside. Interesting stuff. I saw them fly down about a month ago and didn't identify them until I saw one up close on the Indian River Lagoon.
    Jeff Weakley

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file