Some recent offshore homosassa action

If you go offshore, don't be surprised if you catch one of those elusive Gag Groupers, you might catch 1 or 100. But on a serious note, the Red Grouper are still biting good in 45-60 and they are biting really good in 90-100 foot. We did an over night trip out to an area in 100 feet of water and did really good on Big Mangrove Snapper and Red Porgy. I also learned something new, Red Snapper and Gag grouper LOVE, I repeat, LOVE fried chicken.... I gave one of my friends the rest of my dinner, just the bones and told him it was great grouper bait, he dropped it down and to our surprise got a 39 inch Gag about 5 seconds after the bait hit the bottom! Besides the fried chicken, the best bait to use was live pinfish, thats what we have been getting the most keeper grouper on lately. Here are a few pics from the past three offshore trips in the past week and a half....
Fish till your arms fall off.....

• angler18angler18 Posts: 2,035 Officer
    I nice bunch of fish capt. I Noticed you guys had the key west out and figured you were on the grouper, nice haul!
  • MikeRMikeR Posts: 39 Greenhorn
    Funny to hear the chicken story... about 10 years ago I was on a grouper trip and I had chicken wings for lunch. I threw about 5-6 wing bones over after I ate them. We caught a mess of grouper that day and when I cleaned the fish I checked the stomachs to see what the grouper had been eating. I found every bone I threw overboard in the grouper we caught! I have since tried to catch grouper with chicken bones without any luck but they sure liked them that day!
  • Kids Ate My BaitKids Ate My Bait Posts: 1,037 Officer
    That's a lot of grouper
    Don't blink - they grow up fast

• Fishin RodFishin Rod Posts: 2,620 Officer
    I had the same experience with chicken bones, we were grouper fishing and the bite stopped so we ate lunch (fried chicken) and tossed the bones overboard. The bite turned back on and we caught a bunch more grouper. Later when we cleaned the fish they were all full of chicken bones...... We used to punch holes in both ends of a catfood can and toss it over to get a bite started again but the chicken bones worked just as well.
    "Be what you is"....... Isaiah Minter
  • Chesapeake trollerChesapeake troller Posts: 76 Deckhand
    That is a nice mess of fish! Great job and thanks for the report and pics.

• troutman57troutman57 Posts: 3,691 Officer
    Great haul Zack.
    This place Rocks if yer a crabber
  • ripnlipsripnlips Posts: 2,535 Captain
    Sumbody's got alotta fish to clean. Great report Capt Z.
  • Snook SpankerSnook Spanker Inglis / YankeetownPosts: 1,694 Captain
    Holy Macaroni! You sure have dem grupaz dialed in Capt. Zach!! Very cool about the fried chick and a good trick to remember!!! Keep postin> We love it!!!
    I am'z what I am'z and that'z all that I am'z!! > Popeye!
  • RedbonzRedbonz Posts: 4,510 Captain
    Always like to see someone getting offshore and catching some fish.....
    If it don't fit force it. If it breaks it needed replace anyways. :banghead
  • Gator KStenzGator KStenz Posts: 229 Officer
    Nice haul.
  • PONCEPONCE Posts: 5,943 Officer
    Nice catch Duder
  • capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 9,098 Moderator
    ripnlips wrote: »
    Sumbody's got alotta fish to clean. Great report Capt Z.

"You'll get your weather"
  • Go SkinnyGo Skinny Posts: 116 Officer
    Nice haul for sure.

Yep, dem yardbirds are good bait. This past summer in the Middle Grounds my buddy discarded the bones without a hook. Shortly after, we caught 2 nice RGs that both purged the yardbird bones on the boat. Classic!
    Fishing is not just a hobby but a lifestyle
  • cthurowcthurow Withlacoochee to Cedar KeyPosts: 500 Deckhand
    Wow...great bunch of reds there!! Woo Hoo!!! Thanks for the report. I gotta get out there.
  • huntentailshuntentails Posts: 1,694 Captain
    Very Nice
  • bwomble8bwomble8 Posts: 6 Greenhorn
    Headed fishing this weekend but looks like I am going to see the Colonel at KFC first!!
  • RulemakerRulemaker Posts: 40 Greenhorn
    Those folks sure look all bundled up for a recent outing? Cold front come through? They must have been burning up with jackets and sweatshirts on in this extreme heat we have been having! Nice catch! You eat puffers?
  • RulemakerRulemaker Posts: 40 Greenhorn
    nevermind...just saw the post was from
  • Racin MulletRacin Mullet Posts: 9 Greenhorn
    Nice job Mr. Hoffman....
  • iss that riteiss that rite Posts: 55 Deckhand
    Great catch Zach,,,i heard about the chicken trick before,lol but i'm gonna try the beef jerky someday too..
    PS i was gonna make a run out there this sat but my shifter cable are rusted up so i'm not gonna make it this weekend...
  • Capt Dan MedinaCapt Dan Medina Posts: 535 Officer
    Solid work! Had a similar experience with hot dogs on mangrove snapper. Who knew? 26 ft Glacier Bay Catamaran
    Offshore Fishing Charters FT Myers, Sanibel, Captiva, Cape Coral

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file