YankeeTown by Panga skiff 01/01/2013

Broke into the new year on my Panga skiff and decided I'd try to get back on those Yankeetown reds I wrestled with last Friday in the canoe. The boy wanted to sleep in, so I was solo again. Launched at the end of SR40 for the first time too. Ramps aren't too bad out there and saves me the long run through the barge canal. Weather was a little weird at first.
DSC_93841280x1024_zpsb2534739.jpg
DSC_93831280x1024_zpsc30422fe.jpg

Took me quite a while to wiggle through the hazards to get to were I left off last Friday. But after spooking two fish I spied this 24" dude holding nose to current. Luckily he eagerly ate the fly I tied last night.
DSC_9385-c11280x1024_zpsd9239a91.jpg
DSC_93871280x1024_zps29c4fb3d.jpg

Poled around the area for another 30 minutes or so without seeing anything. Decided to make my way around through I little maze of shoaling to get to a little muddy bay I saw some nice fish in Friday.
DSC_93901280x1024_zpsbf493521.jpg
DSC_93921280x1024_zpsd17273f0.jpg

Once I got into the bay I spooked 3 fish right off. So I'm thinking this is good and bad. The fish are here again, but I might have spooked them all.
So I slowed my self way down and studied the water more carefully. I had gone probably 30-40yds and saw a really good fish slowly cruising ahead of me about 20' off the edge of the oysters.
All I could think was don't screw this up, you're only gonna get one shot. I made a good cast about 6' in front of him and let the fly settle and starting stripping slowly.
Instead of charging the fly he sort of glided over to it and just inhaled it. I set the hook and he just shook his head a few times and just sat there. So I gave the rod and line a few firm tugs and it was on.
DSC_9395-c11280x1024_zpsa4fe446b.jpg

About 20 minutes later, yee ha, happy new year! 35.5" and 18lbs on my Boga-Grip, pretty scrappy fight on a 6wt outfit.
DSC_9397-e11280x1024_zpsd10671f3.jpg
DSC_9399-c11280x1024_zpsf07ba9d7.jpg
DSC_9400-c11280x1024_zps51c09b31.jpg
DSC_9401-c11280x1024_zps02429fe2.jpg

Fished another two hours and spooked about 5 smaller fish and called it a day, a great day. :grin

Here's the fly I used today...
DSC_9382-c11280x1024_zps3f133f17.jpg
"impossibility cannot be concluded from a sample of failed efforts" - Edsger W. Dijkstra

Replies

• CatfishCatfish Posts: 527 Officer
    You the man! :hail
  • angler18angler18 Posts: 2,035 Officer
    Wow! what a fish, and to boat it on fly, sweet! Great job DF
  • Fore-ReelFore-Reel Posts: 103 Officer
    Now that s a great looking Redfish , did not think they had them that big over here ! My biggest so far is 28 inches , he put up a heck of a fight, bet it was fun on that flyers.
    :USA
  • PONCEPONCE Posts: 5,943 Officer
    Nice photos and sweet 35.5 on the fly, DF I would have loved to see that fight :hail:hail
  • Liquid TheropyLiquid Theropy Posts: 608 Officer
    :hairraiser WOW man that is a sweet fly catch!! WTG!!!:dance
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]AKA Flatheadcat
  • Carl BlackledgeCarl Blackledge Posts: 674 Officer
    Nice report
  • ripnlipsripnlips Posts: 2,535 Captain
    Holy smokes thats a friggin porker. Great job with the buggy whip.
  • troutman57troutman57 Posts: 3,691 Officer
    Awesome looking reds DF! That one with all the spots is wall worthy for sure. I know who's brain I am wanna pick if I decide to fly fish.
    This place Rocks if yer a crabber
  • Hey JackHey Jack Posts: 3 Greenhorn
    Great report and awesome job on those reds!
  • capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 9,053 Moderator
    That's a good one fo sho .
    "You'll get your weather"
  • Tight linesTight lines Posts: 46 Deckhand
    Wtg DF thats a smokin red and to catch it on a fly man you got it goin on! Nice report and pics
  • KahunaKahuna Posts: 171 Officer
    Awesome!! I did put together that you could see the Nuclear Power Plant, and the Red fish has 9 spots on it!!!!! Just sayin.....
  • Chesapeake trollerChesapeake troller Posts: 76 Deckhand
    Those spots are very cool, really neat looking fish. Nice job, especially on a fly!

CT
  • nicknick Posts: 4,396 Captain
    Monster red for around here!
  • deerflydeerfly Posts: 711 Officer
    thanks guys, that was a big ole red for sure.
    "impossibility cannot be concluded from a sample of failed efforts" - Edsger W. Dijkstra
  • Blk.FlyGuyBlk.FlyGuy Posts: 26 Greenhorn
    Great report.
    TEAM: Next Generation Anglers
  • RedbonzRedbonz Posts: 4,510 Captain
    :thumbsup:thumbsup
    If it don't fit force it. If it breaks it needed replace anyways. :banghead
  • Kids Ate My BaitKids Ate My Bait Posts: 1,037 Officer
    Nice spots on the red....and nice reds :hail
    Don't blink - they grow up fast

e0855416-db02-4210-a35f-fb932b7f1510_zpsizxn0kmf.jpg
  • cthurowcthurow Posts: 498 Deckhand
    Great pics...great post!!!
  • Snook SpankerSnook Spanker Posts: 1,690 Captain
    Holy Crap DF!!! Thats one hell of a Redfish!! We are not worthy Master!!! I think if I saw that cow swimming at me, I'd have muffed the cast and had linguini all around my head!!! To spot cast to that Monster is quite a feet! Congrads Fo Sho!!! Oh nice looking fly too! What size is that short shank hook??
    I am'z what I am'z and that'z all that I am'z!! > Popeye!
  • deerflydeerfly Posts: 711 Officer
    lol, Pete I was plenty amped up believe me. :)

That hook is an out of production Mustad "tarpon" hook 77660SS in #2. I just happen to have a few left and trying to use them up. You might be able to find some old stock online, but they've been replaced by the C68SZ for a number of years now. The C68SZ is a little longer shank but would work just as well. However, if I were to recommend a hook for this pattern/application it would be the Tiemco 600SP in #2. It's a light wire hook, which penetrates better with the lighter setups (< 8wt), but plenty strong. I also use the GamaKatsu B10S in #2, which is a longer shank, but also light wire and very strong.
  • sparse greysparse grey Posts: 1,743 Captain
    Nice report & pics. Thanks for sharing.
    Ron Conner Release the fish, keep the memories. Once a Knight is enough.
  • WindsplitterWindsplitter Posts: 603 Officer
    WOW! I have caught hundreds of reds in the BB but none as big as that one. Congrats on a great catch.
  • Fishin RodFishin Rod Posts: 2,620 Officer
    Great red on anything, especially a fly rod. I broke my 30 year old fly rod a month or so ago and just ordered a new 7 weight from bass pro last night. I use mine for fish with "Red" on them, but redbellies. It's hard to imagine catching a bull red on that thing after the fight those redbellies and blue gills put up. I've been wanting to try the trout and reds with a fly but it's hard to put down a spinning rod when I'm out there......
    "Be what you is"....... Isaiah Minter
  • GilmoreGilmore Posts: 126 Officer
    Great read, great pictures, and great looking fish.
  • Snook SpankerSnook Spanker Posts: 1,690 Captain
    Just wanted to "Bump" this story back to the top of the list incase anyone missed this increadable story!!!
    I am'z what I am'z and that'z all that I am'z!! > Popeye!
  • huntentailshuntentails Posts: 1,694 Captain
    As said earlier Great Job and Fish
    love to hear those sight fishing stories
    rather catch one sight casting than fill the
    boat per-chance
    Thanks Again for sharing That Great Experience
    You had :beer

Great Job with the bump
    Snook Spanker well worthy of
    another run:hail
    58c3c16f-8a45-4d30-b16f-bc3107cf4657_zpsplzwx9u1.jpg0af8c5e9-faa1-4c9d-81d3-c711ee6ce6e3_zpsojsft7fc.jpg
  • Capt.ZacharyCapt.Zachary Posts: 110 Officer
    I love to see reds caught on fly! Great Job!
    Fish till your arms fall off.....

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file