Ocean worthy flats boat

Hi, I had a general question about flats boats. I was wondering everyones input on a make/size flats boat that would also be ocean worthy on calmer days to chase tarpon on the beaches etc.? I appreciate the responses.

Replies

• fldiver1fldiver1 Posts: 21 Greenhorn
    I see all kinds of flats boats out off the beaches DURING THE FLAT CALM days in mid summer. Just about any make/model will do for those days, just make sure you have enough motor to make a hard run back in if it got sloppy on ya. I've had a 15 1/2 cobia skinny hull center console out there on a calm day but I wouldn't even consider taking our current flats boat out there no matter what the weather. It's a '97 Fin & Feather microskiff. If you want a "do all" boat go for a shallower hulled type bay boat. They float skinny enough for the flats and still take some chop pretty well. I've been out to Pelican in a Triton LTS240, fairly shallow running boat but handled the flats and nice days offshore equally well. Plenty of room to breath in that boat too.
  • saltybumsaltybum Posts: 1,544 Captain
    Had my 16 foot Hewes out many times past bouy 2 and all over hunting cobia. Watch the weather and don't take chances.
  • FLDXTFLDXT Posts: 2,472 Captain
    I run my 17 Maverick MA 8-10 miles off Stuart in the summer all the time. No biggie, just pick your days and watch the weather.
  • hodgie2411hodgie2411 Posts: 244 Officer
    Sea Pro SV 19 or SV 21
  • SEARUNNERSEARUNNER Posts: 284 Deckhand
    I take my Action Craft 1720 up to 13 miles offshore Ponce on perfect weather days. Prior to my AC, I had a bay boat. Although I generally liked the boat, it never really did one thing good. It drafted too much to fish the Lagoon properly and wasn't big enough to go farther offshore. Now I can pole the flats, fish the inlets and beaches, and fish some of the closer reefs <13 miles out and I'm extremely happy with it. There's a fella that's selling a sweet Action Craft 1890 in the classifieds that would be perfect for multiple applications. http://forums.floridasportsman.com/showthread.php?89701-Actioncraft-1890-Flatsmaster
  • AlleniAlleni Posts: 334 Officer
    I've been about two miles off Patrick in my 12 ft aluminum V hull a coupe of times. It's all about being smart and watching the wind and weather.
  • Caribbean SoulCaribbean Soul Posts: 234 Officer
    Alleni wrote: »
    I've been about two miles off Patrick in my 12 ft aluminum V hull a coupe of times. It's all about being smart and watching the wind and weather.
    my dad fished a 13' whaler in the 1970's off Mayport for tarpon. I have seen flats boats at the weather buoy and a pontoon boat at 8A, I guess as the saying goes whatever floats your boat.
  • Mako_OneMako_One Posts: 216 Officer
    I've had my 97 Mako 171 out 10 miles offshore. Definately have to pick your days though and make sure you have anough power to get through some of these inlets.
  • TriplecleanTripleclean Posts: 6,591 Officer
    IMHO flats boats and offshore hulls are mutualy exclusive.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
  • Reel AggressiveReel Aggressive Posts: 261 Officer
    I take my Key West Stealth out of the bay all the time for Fly charters chasing Tarpon, Bull Reds, Little Tunny, Mackerel, triple tail, and Cobia.
    Weather is always key.
  • reelgrimmreelgrimm Posts: 445 Officer
    Egret for sure. I had mine in 3 to 5's off the beach the other day tarpon fishing.. not ideal, but she can handle it. I go offshore all the time with it...
  • dwyermwdwyermw Posts: 332 Deckhand
    I have the Action Craft 1890 - without question, the best flats boat with off shore (pick your days) capability.
    2007 Sea Hunt 220 Triton
    Skeeter ZX24V, 300 HP Yamaha (sold)
    1890 SE Action Craft, 175 HP Evinrude Ficht (sold)
    Hewes Tailfisher (sold)
    Toyota Tundra 5.7 SR5
  • duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 18,204 AG
    20 Hewes " light tackle".... enough size and fuel capacity to go off a good ways.
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you
  • ExcavatorExcavator Posts: 13 Greenhorn
    A friend of mine had a bay shore. We have fished the 27 north in that thing. It is a bad a-- ride. Made by jarret bay i believe.
  • PONCEPONCE Posts: 5,943 Officer
    I run a Sea Ark over here in the Big Bend,My friend has a Action craft and that is one nice sled.
  • beachsideandybeachsideandy Posts: 879 Officer
    Although it's more of a "bay" boat, I have seen a pathfinder 2200 30 miles out of PC during the summer. They draft about 11".
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • SpinfisherSpinfisher Posts: 753 Officer
    reelgrimm wrote: »
    Egret for sure. I had mine in 3 to 5's off the beach the other day tarpon fishing.. not ideal, but she can handle it. I go offshore all the time with it...

I take my Gheenoe out to the weather bouy all the time, she does great in 3-5 feet swells.
  • FishyGirlFishyGirl Posts: 715 Officer
    Have you ever considered a Bay boat? We love ours - it is the best of both worlds.
    "America will never be destroyed from outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves"
    --Abraham Lincoln
  • EggsuckindogEggsuckindog Posts: 1,528 Officer
    18 and 20 SeaCrafts would be best for that, you don't have to wait for flat days
    1976 SeaCraft master Angler - Merc 200 XRi
    dscf1243-1.jpg
  • cprcpr Posts: 9,170 Admiral
    my dad fished a 13' whaler in the 1970's off Mayport for tarpon. I have seen flats boats at the weather buoy and a pontoon boat at 8A, I guess as the saying goes whatever floats your boat.

I might have been on that pontoon boat. It gave me a new appreciation of those Cuban rafters.
    "The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function." F. Scott Fitzgerald

"Prediction is very difficult, especially if it's about the future." Niels Bohr
  • FishdflatsFishdflats Posts: 176 Officer
    +1 on this one.

I have a 2005 SV1900 CC and is one hell of a boat. I do like the extra room of the 21 though.
    -Luis
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • QuiksilverIHBQuiksilverIHB Posts: 467 Officer
    I take my 12ft aluminum offshore all the time. I've been 9mi out in the summer....
    You just have to ask yourself one question...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0-oinyjsk0

High quality vinyl stickers representing your fishing lifestyle.
    H2O Vinyl Designs
    Check Out My Fishing/Diving Videos

• WayoflifeWayoflife Posts: 25 Greenhorn
    The Mako 18LTS is a great multi purpose boat..i've taken mine offshore several times and i can still float in 10-12" easy. The wide beam and flared edges make it really easy to handle in rough seas.
  • jaksonjakson Posts: 6 Greenhorn
    Can we relate it with surfboard because that is also flate. what do you say?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file