Can you hunt hog year round on WMA's?

taymagtaymag Posts: 658 Officer
When you look at the individual WMA brochures it shows hog during bow, muzzle, general, etc. but nothing about hunting hog outside of those dates. But when you look at the "Florida Hunting Seasons & Dates" it shows "Wild Hog : Year-round by all legal rifles, shotguns, muzzleloaders, crossbows, bows and pistols."

Can someone clear this up for me?
2005 Sea Fox w/ Merc 150 2 stroke (adding here since I always forget in my "how do I fix this" posts) :fishing

Replies

• campertopcampertop Posts: 719 Officer
    as far as I know there are no WMA's that allow hog hunting year round, at least in my region and the one's I am familiar with. Only on private land or state land. Need to check each WMA brochure.
  • Derek ArsuaDerek Arsua Posts: 2,474 Officer
    As far as I know the answer is no you can not a WMA is a wildlife management area that is regulated by the state that's one of Florida's biggest down falls is there really isn't any state owned land that you can just go hunt such as there is in a lot of other states GA for example has the forestry land
  • BatemasterBatemaster Posts: 1,699 Captain
    Someone told me once that Kissimmee River allows hog hunting year round.
  • binellishtrbinellishtr Posts: 7,149 Admiral
    Someone go shoot a hog on a WMA without a hunting license PLEEEZE...according to our friends at FWC you don't technically need one? Because it's not a game animal.
  • johnDjohnD Posts: 6,364 Admiral
    small game season they can be taken on a wma.
    Certain wma's like Corbett does not allow hogs to be taken during small game where as other areas allow the harvest of wild hogs during all deer seasons and small game
  • 001001 Posts: 4,292 Officer
    Someone go shoot a hog on a WMA without a hunting license PLEEEZE...according to our friends at FWC you don't technically need one? Because it's not a game animal.

:Popcorn
  • Slopps08Slopps08 Posts: 1,038 Officer
    I had the understanding that when there is a season of any kind of game you can hunt hogs

You don't know me but you want to be me!
  • campertopcampertop Posts: 719 Officer
    Slopps08 wrote: »
    I had the understanding that when there is a season of any kind of game you can hunt hogs

Not True, on WMA's hogs must be specified to be legal to take.
  • Slopps08Slopps08 Posts: 1,038 Officer
    campertop wrote: »
    Not True, on WMA's hogs must be specified to be legal to take.

But don't they specify hogs each of those seasons?

• james 14james 14 Posts: 2,816 Moderator
    You can only do on a WMA what is specifically outlined in the brochure. If it doesn't specifically say that you can shoot hogs year round then the answer is "no".
    Look in the pamphlet and for each season it will say legal to take and then will list all animals legal to be taken during those dates some areas you can take hogs all season long but none that I know of that are year round
  • N. CookN. Cook Posts: 1,791 Captain
    Hogs are already regulated as "game" on WMAs with a variety of rules as per the situation on each WMA...We (UW-F/FHF) have been putting in Rule Changes for many WMAs to add hog hunting to "Small Game Season" with some success over the years. We have also lobbied to end Quota Hunts for hogs and to open more days, either by extending the hog hunt days, or as mentioned, simply adding hogs to Small Game Season. Don Coyner has been very positive with these changes and a lot of new "spontaneous" hunting opportunities are now available on many WMAs...One of the "hardest nuts to crack" was highly protected Dupuis WEA and next season there will be both "No Quota" hog hunting (as the past two seasons without quotas has worked very well) and hogs will be legal during Small Game....Thanks to the SFWMD and FWC staffs and the excellent managers at Dupuis.

With deer and turkey hunting on public land sure to be heavily restricted on most areas, the hogs are a good way to meet the problem expressed by hunters that "you cannot just pick up the gun and go hunting anymore" (on public land)....Reducing regulations on hogs rarely creates controversy with any stakeholder group or the agencies.

If I thought the proposal to make hogs a "game" animal on public land was a threat to all the work we have done for over five years to get hog hunting easier to do and for longer seasons on public land, I would be strongly opposed.
    the wording has NOTHING to do with getting more lands opened.your not listening to the REAL stakeholders.
  • therobertbrookstherobertbrooks Posts: 285 Officer
    Batemaster wrote: »
    Someone told me once that Kissimmee River allows hog hunting year round.

I looked up the regulations on the Kissimmee and it does look like its more flexible for hunting hogs, but does not actually say you can hunt all year long and during the Spring Turkey Season is says you can only hunt Turkey.

Can anyone else verify the rules on this? Would love to find a place to hunt hogs year round on public property.
    I wouldn't worry about it now,they're determined to keep you from doing it at these places anymore.
    Lake okeechobee is the only place I know of that is public that allows hog hunting year round
  • D-BREWSTERD-BREWSTER Posts: 133 Officer
    Lake okeechobee is the only place I know of that is public that allows hog hunting year round

You can hog hunt the Kissimmee chain of lakes PUA 365-24/7 and also Lake Okeechobee , those are the last two places a man can still hog hunt 365 24/7 besides private land. This is why we are fighting so hard against the Hog classification change! If Hogs are considered a 'Game Animal' they can be regulated just like Deer and FWC can impose season's , bag and size limits , require orange ect.-ect. The simple fact is FWC does not want you to have 365 24/7 and be able to run your Airboat in those areas hunting whenever you want. They can mask it anyway they want and say they are trying to stop poaching or non-licensed hunters taking deer blah-blah-blah but what it comes down to is control and money!!
    UNITED SPORTSMEN FOR TRADITIONAL HERITAGE
    http://usfth.tripod.com/
    ALSO CHECK US OUT ON FACEBOOK
    http://www.facebook.com/usfth?ref=stream
    Lastflcracker@centurylink.net
    863 227 3683
  • taymagtaymag Posts: 658 Officer
    Thanks for the responses. As for the person that said you can hunt hog in corbett during small game season, the brochure does not say so. I was hoping that was true :(
    2005 Sea Fox w/ Merc 150 2 stroke (adding here since I always forget in my "how do I fix this" posts) :fishing
    Corbitt has a min shoulder height,and 2 per person per yr.....BUT,they have a hog issue there?
  • zamboxlzamboxl Posts: 9 Greenhorn
    D-BREWSTER wrote: »
    You can hog hunt the Kissimmee chain of lakes PUA 365-24/7 and also Lake Okeechobee , those are the last two places a man can still hog hunt 365 24/7 besides private land. This is why we are fighting so hard against the Hog classification change! If Hogs are considered a 'Game Animal' they can be regulated just like Deer and FWC can impose season's , bag and size limits , require orange ect.-ect. The simple fact is FWC does not want you to have 365 24/7 and be able to run your Airboat in those areas hunting whenever you want. They can mask it anyway they want and say they are trying to stop poaching or non-licensed hunters taking deer blah-blah-blah but what it comes down to is control and money!!

Not to Highjack but i was aware of Chain of lakes, but how do you hunt lake oke for hogs? i don't think they let you hunt from the levees other than that where would you look for hogs on the lake?
  • ecueagleecueagle Posts: 478 Officer
    zamboxl wrote: »
    Not to Highjack but i was aware of Chain of lakes, but how do you hunt lake oke for hogs? i don't think they let you hunt from the levees other than that where would you look for hogs on the lake?

You just can't hunt from the levee itself or possess a loaded weapon on the levee title 36 CFR sec 327. Once in the lake bed have at it boys.
  • Egreen cobraEgreen cobra Posts: 225 Officer
    D-BREWSTER wrote: »

They already can regulate them. Florida Statute 379.101 (20) “Game” means deer, bear, squirrel, rabbits, and, where designated by commission rules, wild hogs, ducks, geese, rails, coots, gallinules, snipe, woodcock, wild turkeys, grouse, pheasants, quail, and doves.

It's a loop hole, they want it closed, maybe it's money but it's also safety. Hunting licenses require hunter safety courses (for most), and maybe they'll tack on Orange. But maybe you're right, maybe the Panther people want to protect the hog (the food source)! and they crafted this way to do it. Sneaky cat people!
    ecueagle wrote: »
    You just can't hunt from the levee itself or possess a loaded weapon on the levee title 36 CFR sec 327. Once in the lake bed have at it boys.

ok i hear you good to know, would you know where this is written i looked all over FWC's website and they got nothing, and lake o's website points you to fwc for hunting info.
  • Egreen cobraEgreen cobra Posts: 225 Officer
    zamboxl wrote: »
    ok i hear you good to know, would you know where this is written i looked all over FWC's website and they got nothing, and lake o's website points you to fwc for hunting info.

You wont find it written, It's the whole "sovereign water"/"riparian rights" issue. (Similar to how waterfowlers hunt publicly accessible water bodies.)
    You wont find it written, It's the whole "sovereign water"/"riparian rights" issue. (Similar to how waterfowlers hunt publicly accessible water bodies.)

The USACE manages the levee under federal authority but the lake bed is managed by the state like you mention "sovereign waters". I often hike over the levee with empty gun and load once off the toe of the Herbert Hoover Dike. Fun way to hunt ducks and snipe on foot in Lake O.
    ecueagle wrote: »
    The USACE manages the levee under federal authority but the lake bed is managed by the state like you mention "sovereign waters". I often hike over the levee with empty gun and load once off the toe of the Herbert Hoover Dike. Fun way to hunt ducks and snipe on foot in Lake O.

OMG i think i feel one of those 24hr flues coming on i am just going to have to call in sick work tomorrow.
    So how did you do?
    didn't go, between a flu ridden wife and work just could not take off, but come mid week i am going to be mysteriously sick for a couple of days, will probably go to diner island though and look for some quail before the season is out, hogs will be there year round.
  • taymagtaymag Posts: 658 Officer
    Did some research.. Was going to keep this to myself and be selfish but I owe it to this forum for all the help everyone has given me on fishing these past 6 months :)

I looked at most, if not all the brochures for south Florida and most for central and haven't seen hog hunting for anywhere past Dec-mid-January.. BUT Southern Glades allows hog hunting the entire small game season Nov 10th - March 3rd. Its not that big of a zone, and finding hog there may be another story but its better than nothing if you don't have private land access.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file