best way to cook blue crab

lots of real big ones out there at the bait shop...

best way to eat em? boiled in some old bay or zatarans on newspapers...chow down/..or

whattya got
16 ccf wellcraft.....

Replies

• ontheedge5658ontheedge5658 Posts: 2,658 Officer
    add some beer to the water otherwise you got it.
  • dieselbeefdieselbeef Posts: 652 Officer
    beer yeah i fergot that..been sometime for em but man they had some big ones..
    16 ccf wellcraft.....
  • ruskinredneckruskinredneck Posts: 1,121 Officer
    Crab Chilau
    24 large cleaned blue crabs
    2 pounds of fresh crabmeat
    2 tablespoons olive oil
    1 large onion, chopped
    1 green bell pepper, chopped
    3 cloves of garlic, minced
    2 cans (48 ounces) tomatoes with puree
    1 can tomato paste
    1 tablespoon Tabasco/Crystal hot sauce
    2 tablespoons sugar
    2 bay leaves
    1/2 teaspoon oregano
    1 tablespoon Old Bay seasoning (or Zatarain’s Crab boil seasoning)
    Salt & pepper to taste
    2-3 pounds spaghetti, cooked and drained
    Bring an extra large pot ¾’s full of water to a boil, add 3 tablespoons of Old Bay Crab Boil or Zatarain’s Crab Boil and plunge crabs into water cooking until they pink. Then place in cold water until cooled. Remove the back, and clean out the crab making certain to remove the finger looking things which are the lungs. With a mallet crack the claws. Break the body into two pieces leaving the legs attached to each half. Place in a bowl, cover and refrigerate overnight.
    In a large stainless steel stock pot (not aluminum), heat olive oil, sauté onion, bell pepper and garlic until tender. Add 2 can of tomatoes with puree, add 1 can of tomato paste, and add hot sauce, sugar, bay leaves, salt/pepper, oregano, and Old Bay seasoning.
    Bring to a boil, reduce heat to simmer cook, stirring occasionally, until thick, about 2 hours. Cook the day before, cover and place in the refrigerator overnight. When you’re ready to serve heat the sauce and add blue crabs to sauce 30 minutes before serving time.
    Serve over cooked spaghetti with lot’s of hot buttered Cuban bread.
  • dieselbeefdieselbeef Posts: 652 Officer
    dam im droolin ova here
    16 ccf wellcraft.....
  • scottydentscottydent Posts: 13 Greenhorn
    Definatly need some vinegar. Don't over fill the pot. Steam'em instead of boiling!!
  • flbluerunnerflbluerunner Posts: 693 Officer
    12oz cider vinegar, 12oz beer, 12oz water.
    Use a pot that will steam not boil, separate area for the fluids.
    Steam for 30 minutes.
    Order JO #1 spice online, the best!

HEAVEN!
    John :USA
    2006 38 Luhrs IPS600, A true 38, the only one made with IPS!
    2001 23 Parker

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • SHELLFISHSHELLFISH Posts: 92 Greenhorn
    I am with the above recipe! He knows how to steam Blue Crabs Maryland style! Definitely JO#1!
  • AndrewSAndrewS Posts: 158 Officer
    scottydent wrote: »
    Definatly need some vinegar. Don't over fill the pot. Steam'em instead of boiling!!
    You got it right Scotty. Why do people boil crabs and shrimp? Steamed with a lot of Old Bay is the way to go.
  • AndrewSAndrewS Posts: 158 Officer
    SHELLFISH wrote: »
    I am with the above recipe! He knows how to steam Blue Crabs Maryland style! Definitely JO#1!
    JO spice, you can tell these guys are from MD. I'm from Easteren Shore of MD.
  • FinestKindFinestKind Posts: 166 Officer
    Best Way? How about Stuffed Crabs?

Clean the crabs first by lifting off the top shell, ripping off the mouth, prying off the bottom flap and pulling off the lungs.
    Break off the craws (cook them later with the bodies) and trim the legs down to stubs with kitchen shears.
    DO NOT throw away or rinse away the tomally ("guts") inside the crab body...this is ALL perfectly edible and adds tons of flavor to the dish!

Now get a small bowl and fill it halfway with flavored bread crumbs and one egg. Then add some sea salt, lots of cayenne pepper, the juice of one lemon, black pepper, LOTS of finely chopped fresh garlic and some chopped parsley. Now mix together and add enough olive oil to make a damp paste.
    Pack the paste down on top of the "guts" in the crabs' body and fill each crab's cavity.

Now get a frying pan hot, add enough olive oil to coat the bottom, throw in a full heads' worth of sliced garlic and your crabs.
    Saute until the crabs turn red. Now add a glass of wine (I like it with red wine) and cover the pan. Cook on high heat for a couple of minutes until the wine sauce comes to a boil.
    Now sprinkle bread crumbs all over the crabs and sauce in the pan so most of it is soaked up, then plate and serve and enjoy!

If you prefer, this same recipe can be done in the oven (400 degrees for a half hour or so until they all turn red) instead of in a frying pan.

Another option is to follow the same recipe, but after stuffing, cover the crab bodies using their original top shells. Tie the shells to the body using sewing thread or butchers twine and cook the stuffed crabs in a pot of fresh homemade marinara tomato sauce instead of frying or baking them.
    Just let them simmer in the gravy for a half hour, THEN TURN OFF THE HEAT and let them "rest" in the sauce for an hour or two so the flavors blend.
    Reheat before serving....VERY good that way with some Linguine and a bottle of Chianti!
    Len
    Finest Kind
  • MillerTime25MillerTime25 Posts: 6 Greenhorn
    I steam my crabs for about 5min with my Lead Melter cooks um right up. I use Old Bay and clean my crabs before i eat them.
    I was originally from CT but spent a lot of time in Maryland with friends crabbing on the Wye River. They are the ones who turned me on to JO Spice. they all prefer JO #2 with rock salt but I prefer the JO #1. After using JO spice Old Bay taste like black pepper to me. I really used to like Old Bay! I still like Old Bay crab cakes!
    Andrew S, Do you have a recipe for those crab cakes shown? Man do they look good!
    Best crab cake I've tasted was at Steve's Rt 40 diner in White Marsh MD.
  • flbluerunnerflbluerunner Posts: 693 Officer
    Follow the recipe on the Old Bay can, makes a good crabcake.
    John :USA
    2006 38 Luhrs IPS600, A true 38, the only one made with IPS!
    2001 23 Parker

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • FinestKindFinestKind Posts: 166 Officer
    FinestKind wrote: »
    Best Way? How about Stuffed Crabs?

Clean the crabs first by lifting off the top shell, ripping off the mouth, prying off the bottom flap and pulling off the lungs.
    Break off the craws (cook them later with the bodies) and trim the legs down to stubs with kitchen shears.
    DO NOT throw away or rinse away the tomally ("guts") inside the crab body...this is ALL perfectly edible and adds tons of flavor to the dish!

Now get a small bowl and fill it halfway with flavored bread crumbs and one egg. Then add some sea salt, lots of cayenne pepper, the juice of one lemon, black pepper, LOTS of finely chopped fresh garlic and some chopped parsley. Now mix together and add enough olive oil to make a damp paste.
    Pack the paste down on top of the "guts" in the crabs' body and fill each crab's cavity.

Now get a frying pan hot, add enough olive oil to coat the bottom, throw in a full heads' worth of sliced garlic and your crabs.
    Saute until the crabs turn red. Now add a glass of wine (I like it with red wine) and cover the pan. Cook on high heat for a couple of minutes until the wine sauce comes to a boil.
    Now sprinkle bread crumbs all over the crabs and sauce in the pan so most of it is soaked up, then plate and serve and enjoy!

If you prefer, this same recipe can be done in the oven (400 degrees for a half hour or so until they all turn red) instead of in a frying pan.

Another option is to follow the same recipe, but after stuffing, cover the crab bodies using their original top shells. Tie the shells to the body using sewing thread or butchers twine and cook the stuffed crabs in a pot of fresh homemade marinara tomato sauce instead of frying or baking them.
    Just let them simmer in the gravy for a half hour, THEN TURN OFF THE HEAT and let them "rest" in the sauce for an hour or two so the flavors blend.
    Reheat before serving....VERY good that way with some Linguine and a bottle of Chianti!

Here is a pic of the baked stuffed crabs as described above:
    [IMG][/img]25B98ED0-8834-4C83-B074-F62FBBEFEFAB-1512-000000BBB213F746.jpg
    Len
    Finest Kind
  • saltyseniorsaltysenior Posts: 712 Officer
    google the Bluecrab info forum.......9,000 cooking threads..
  • magellanmagellan Posts: 34 Greenhorn
    Reminds me of the cookouts when i was little a Lowery Park. It's the best!
  • Grady-ladyGrady-lady Posts: 5,199 Admiral
    Crab Chilau

Must be a Tampa thing!

Basically the same - but I cook the crabs in the sauce and add a little beer. It's an outside only meal. :grin

Also a Tampa thing - deviled crab rolls (in mini form)
    I find my peace out on the sand...Beside the sea, not beyond or behind. R.A. Britt

• longfin61longfin61 Posts: 40 Deckhand
    chickies and petes crabs are very good they use jo#1
  • WILLIEGATORWILLIEGATOR Posts: 17 Greenhorn
    I clean them first, then put a layer of foil on the gas grill, burners on med. place the crabs on the foil, meat up and brush with melted butter, old bay, etc...cook until nice and red. remove from the grill and give them another good brushing and have at it.
  • FreeLifeFreeLife Posts: 18 Greenhorn
    Clean crabs. Pack them with chopped garlic, the stuff that comes in a big jar that every Italian tells you never to use. Put 12 or so in a disposable baking tray. Spray them down with spray olive oil. Sprinkle with basil and/or oregano. Cover with foil. Bake or grill for 20 minutes +/- at 375

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file