snapper reel

irishff727irishff727 Posts: 939 Officer
Looking.@ getting a dedicated snapped set up. Was thinkin ager lx or hx single speed gonna have the rod custom built around a 40 lb tackle set up. Which reel would u all choose. Does the lx have enough drag for a big mutton or grouper? Or would the hx just be a better choice. And yes I am partial to avets have a few of them mostly set up for tolling or live baiting 20-30 lb range.
time enjoyed wasted is not wasted time

Replies

• YaksquatchYaksquatch Posts: 499 Officer
    40lbs braid or mono? I've got a JX with 500yds of 50lbs braid plus 20yds mono topshot on a custom spiral wrapped rod that can put a beat-down on some snapper! The LX would be a good choice for 40lbs mono since you can probably get 300+ yds on it if you wanted to branch out to other applications. Anything above the LX is just unnecessary for 40lbs tackle. If I recall correctly, both the JX and LX are rated at up to 16lbs strike and 20lbs full drag and should be plenty for what you want to do with them.

Good luck,
    Alex
  • irishff727irishff727 Posts: 939 Officer
    Was thinking Jx but still unsure. Was hoping to get a Lil more response on here.
    time enjoyed wasted is not wasted time
  • TrafficTraffic Posts: 124 Officer
    Irish, I see you are in West Palm. Are you drifting or anchoring? How deep are you fishing?

I use Penn 113H with a Tiburon handle. A buddy has had an Avet H 2 speed for a while now and he really likes it. I think the bigger drag disk of the H would help you when you stumble across a bigger fish especially when you are fishing deeper than 100' in the currents off West Palm. And it has enough line capacity to double as a trolling reel if you ever need one. If you fish any of the wrecks over 100 feet the H would also be nice.

But fishing with the smaller reels is nice.
  • SpineymanSpineyman Posts: 7,580 Admiral
    For Snapper any of those reels will suffice, but for Grouper the bigger one would be best for more drag output.
    Kayak Rookie...and loving it.
    Fishing beautiful Destin / Ft Walton Beach area!
    II Chronicles 7:14

if My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file