How do you keep your phone dry?

landlubberlandlubber Posts: 315 Deckhand
While fishing from oyster bars and other temporary dry spots on the Gulf coast I haven't found a way yet to keep my phone. Usually me and a buddy go out with a cooler of ice, drinks, some bait initially and a tackle box. Even if in a waterproof container the condensation buildup from being in the cooler would ruin a phone. Do you guys have any methods that work?

Replies

• sharkatak1089sharkatak1089 Posts: 6,407 Officer
    ya. buy a samsung Rugby II. ive had one for almost a year, its been soaked completely, multiple times. I've jumped off of flybridge(s) with it in my pocket. works just fine...

search "samsung rugby fair" on youtube...crazy sstuff
    I am choice.
    Please don't try to interject with reason, it only further confuses the matter.
  • nuclearfishnnuclearfishn Posts: 8,353 Admiral
    Just bought the Casio Comando. water proof to 3 feet. Shock proof also. This is a military smartphone. Very rugged.
  • copout@castaways[email protected] Posts: 5,779 Officer
    FSFSSL2841-035_3_2766_3_55980.JPG
  • CajunRichCajunRich Posts: 262 Officer
    Copout beat me to it. FoodSaver works like a champ. If you put the clear side of the bag on the touch screen it still works.
  • tagtag Posts: 8,733 Admiral
    Zip-lock sandwich bag
  • barrynflabarrynfla Posts: 592 Officer
    tag wrote: »
    Zip-lock sandwich bag

+1
  • DrKDrK Posts: 232 Deckhand
    Don't put in the cooler. Just like a camera where the lens fogs up, all the internal parts will be moist when you expose it to warmer temperature. Ziplock bag and in your pocket works better.
  • johnDjohnD Posts: 6,388 Admiral
    If I'm wading or fishing the beach I leave it in the vehicle , I hate being bothered when I'm fishing.

You could buy something like this and throw it in the tackle box for your camera and phone.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Pelican-Micro-1030-Waterproof-Case-NEW-Blue-Clear-/200558096901?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2eb231b205

But then again a zip lock quart freezer bag works just fine also.
  • PottymouthPottymouth Posts: 1,547 Officer
    bass pro got some waterproof cases for the i phone for under 20 bucks
    also waterguard plus has them too..
    on my kayak i use the extreme waterproof floating case w/ built in speaker...
    dont use zip lock bags i have seen them fail big time...
    sfkglogo.pngadrenalinelogo.pngjimyjigslogo.jpgaccuratelogo.png
  • Aft_BackwardsAft_Backwards Posts: 243 Officer
    I have a floating, plastic watertight w/ rubberseal ciggerette case. Its on a lanyard. I pu toilet paper in it to test it at the bottom of a pool. Watertight as a frog's butt.
  • IdlewildeIdlewilde Posts: 1,357 Officer
    Zip-lock sandwich bag

X3
  • mtd885mtd885 Posts: 1,159 Officer
    http://www.aquapac.net/
    You can find them at http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=aquapak&tag=googhydr-20&index=aps&hvadid=3135422001&ref=pd_sl_30h2tp4wcd_e
    One of the guides turned me onto what a diver friend turned him onto etc etc etc...LOL
  • sharkatak1089sharkatak1089 Posts: 6,407 Officer
    Just bought the Casio Comando. water proof to 3 feet. Shock proof also. This is a military smartphone. Very rugged.

what provider?
    I am choice.
    Please don't try to interject with reason, it only further confuses the matter.
  • gasparillagasparilla Posts: 358 Officer
  • Split ShotSplit Shot Posts: 6,123 Admiral
    God forbid if anyone gets caught without their smart phone.! People are too dependent.
  • Split ShotSplit Shot Posts: 6,123 Admiral
    btw it would be in a camera bag. Water proof if I'm concerned of the party.
  • croe21croe21 Posts: 113 Officer
    Leave your phone in the car...
  • polepositionpoleposition Posts: 1,052 Officer
    I use a small waterproof pelican case for my camera, wallet and cell phone. Works great for me and floats if it goes overboard.
  • GermGerm Posts: 1,704 Officer
    mines in my pocket or on the center console. I dont worry about mine as long as its a dry ride and I dont intended on going overboard unless I have too.
  • duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 18,569 AG
    Generally, It's in my pocket....or in a hatch with my wallet.

Do you people fall out of your boat alot? I guess the good part about flats fishing is that if I fall...I can try to land upright and my pockets will still be dry..LOL!
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you
  • GregHGregH Posts: 241 Deckhand
    Zip-lock sandwich bag

Another one for this
  • Mackeral SnatcherMackeral Snatcher Posts: 10,439 AG
    johnD wrote: »
    I leave it in the vehicle , I hate being bothered when I'm fishing.

^^^^^ this
    THERE SHOULD BE NO COMMERCIAL FISHING ALLOWED FOR ANY SPECIES THAT IS CONSIDERED OVERFISHED.
  • Angler SystemsAngler Systems Posts: 919 Officer
    I use these, not bad at all. DRY PAK Cell Phone Case
    yhst-88834497470748_2170_13594238
  • mtd885mtd885 Posts: 1,159 Officer
    I use these, not bad at all. DRY PAK Cell Phone Case
    yhst-88834497470748_2170_13594238
    That is the same as the Aquaseal. Works great! Only difference is the AS is clear on both sides to accommodate the camera in most newer phones.
  • Big JohnBig John Posts: 577 Officer
    who puts there phone in a cooler ?
  • duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 18,569 AG
    Yesterday I was in "the evil empire" (Wal-mart) and saw a hard plastic phone case...$5 It said "not for underwater use" but I would think if you baggy the phone and put it in here...It will float and stay dry.
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you
  • BakermanBakerman Posts: 1,222 Officer
    My I phone fits into an Otter Box (I phone accessory) it keeps it protected from bumps and damp. Some have said they dropped it in the water and was OK. I have not tested this.

On days when I won't be out long I use a "dry bag" or a "dry box" . Kayakers, canoests, and campers use both. You can find both in WalMart sporting goods sections. Both of these also give room for wallets, keys and other things not supposed to get wet.
    Bakerman formerly known as Bakerman.
  • ShottShott Posts: 203 Officer
    Shark Pack. I distribute them. I will post a link and pics later. Costs $20. Take calls, use touch screen all without taking it out of the pack. Hangs around your neck while yakking. Floats if it goes in the drink. Email me at [email protected] for info.

SharkPack.jpg

Sorry it took so long but I had major problems converting the file to something PhotoBucket would take.
  • yak_angleryak_angler Posts: 2,583 Officer
    I use a small waterproof pelican case for my camera, wallet and cell phone. Works great for me and floats if it goes overboard.

on the kayak, i use the small pelican case that fits my phone, keys and camera. on a boat, just a ziplock if it's going to be rough, otherwise, my pocket is fine.
    5607_aa5e_zps24435aae.gif

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file