1962 28ft. Memco Sport Fisher

28memco28memco Posts: 700 Officer
I was told not to bring another project boat home. When the wife was sleep I did and said "Jesus told me to do it,"

Do you think I should change the name from riptide to OL Gal?

Sign in to vote!
This is a public poll: others will see what you voted for.

Replies

• ericj359ericj359 Posts: 237 Officer
    that boat is beautiful im only 22 im not sure why but i really like old sport fishing boats over the modern boats
  • islandbum001islandbum001 Posts: 67 Deckhand
    That is awesome, what are your plans for her. Obviously need more specs and pictures. Looks like the previous owner put some time and money into her.
    sig.jpg
    Walker's Edge
  • tagtag Posts: 8,668 Admiral
    That is a project boat? Looks like it was just redone.
  • 001001 Posts: 4,292 Officer
    Pretty sweet. Keep us posted. Powerplant?
  • 28memco28memco Posts: 700 Officer
    Change the name of the boat from riptide to OL GAL.
    If you are up close to the boat there are cracks through out the boat. Nothing major but cracks from age. I'm taken off the bottom paint and there is 2 soft spots in the keel. The fly bridge isn't fiberglass so I'm going to do that. The steering in the main cabin I'm going to move that forward and installed a fold down seat. Down under in that cabin need painting. It stink from sitting up. If it's up to me there's a million things I'm going to do to it. There isn't noting major wrong with the boat just need a little loving.
    EricJ359 I'm like you I love older boats. Boats that where built by Huckins in Jaacksonville,Fl. If someone gave me a new boat I'll sell it and buy another huckins boat like a fairform flyer.
    The only thing I don't like about this boat is the bottom is flat. I'll post some more pics of the bottom. But a flat bottom has it's pros and cons but there is nothing better then a V bottom boat sea worthiness.
    well me as a young person and my funds being tight. I would rather take the beating and slow down a little with the flat bottom you can plane out with less power and better fuel economy it wont pitch much in a beam sea either. Thats just me though to me the purpose of a boat like that is your going fishing and your going to be fishing all day!!!! and its built for it. I have a center console theres days where i will be ten miles out and i just dont want to go back in. But i dont have a cabin im looking into getting a bertram 28 blackfin 29 or a stamas something old and over built like your boat.
  • Mark O.Mark O. Posts: 3,376 Captain
    Beautiful! Are those pics at the marina next to Pier 17?
    Mark yes this is next to pier 17 in front of Huckins boat yard
  • reedreed Posts: 322 Officer
    Very cool! I would love to restore something like that! If I only had the skill.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Eric you have a good point on the pros with a flat bottom boat. I guess it's all about who is behind the wheel.
  • ticotico Posts: 24 Greenhorn
    Is there a ladder to get up yo the flybridge? I didnt see one.
    Reed I took wood shop in 11th 12th grade (A Few years ago) and that's how I learned how to work on boats. I do run into jobs where it's like ok it's time to take it to someone who does this for a living. I'm blessed that I work with a guy at the fire station who build boats on the side.
    tico on the port side there is one or two small foot steps and a handle on the flybridge to help pull you up
    The guy you see driving the boat isn't me. That's the sales man. I probably shouldn't put this on here but I bypassed the sales man and went to the owner and worked out a deal with him. That why the owner don't have to pay commision cost. It worked out for me and the owner. Sorry for the sales man.
    tico on the port side there is one or two small foot steps and a handle on the flybridge to help pull you up
    Eric Your profile said you like old sportfishing boats. I think you would like a fairform flyer built by huckins. I would marry that boat if I could.
    yeah i do like old sportfishers i will probably restore one when i am able to
  • Net 30Net 30 Posts: 948 Officer
    Beautiful piece. Is is a Huckins? Looks a bit like a Prowler.............

Best of luck bringing her up to snuff.
  • lemaymiamilemaymiami Posts: 2,696 Captain
    Looked at all the photos, that's pretty nice for a 'project boat'..... I've worked on more than few boats that weren't anywhere near as nice when I was starting out as a mate in the early seventies. Can't wait to see the finished result.
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
    No it's not a huckins. It has the lines that a huckins have that's one of many things I like about the boat. It was built by a company that is no longer in business by the name of M.E.M.C.O. which was friends with huckins so that's where the similarities of a huckins boat come from,
    Lemaymiami you are right the boat isn't on it's last leg but up close you will see that it needs alot of work. There is deep stress cracks through out the boat, the flybridge isn;t fiberglass so that will be done, windows will need to come out and redone, electrical, starboard engine isn't running right, chime needs to be replaced fiberglass through out the boat needs touching up, and so on and so on. There isn't anything major wrong with the boat just needs a little loving and time and MONEY( I'm taking donations).
  • Mango ManMango Man Posts: 10,987 AG
    That's a hell of a fishing machine! It looks sweet now, I can only imagine how you'll feel when you're done. :beer
    Fisherman.gif

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
    Abraham Lincoln
  • lemaymiamilemaymiami Posts: 2,696 Captain
    Like Travis McGee said (If you're old enough you might remember that character from John D. MacDonald's books...), "There's never just one thing wrong with a boat"....

Looks like a great project, wish I could remember back when boats were a hobby and not something you had to keep running and ready for the next angler...
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
    Mango i did find me a winner. I look forward to working on it but I no the wife will be in my ear when I really get into it about spending all my time with the boat.Like I said she didn't want me to get it I just bought it home anyway and took the punishment for it. It was worth the punishment.
    Lemaymiami I'm sorry but I'm only 32 so i don't remember travis mcgee but I can relate to the fact that there is all ways something needs to be done to a boat. I have a 1969 14ft wellcraft that I have restored into a flats boat with a side console and every time I take it out something brake on it. I like the fact that with the 14ft wellcraft I can go fishing 3 times for only $20. I wish I can say that with the boat I just bought.
    Specs
    Builder: Memco
    Designer: C. N. Heston

Dimensions
    LOA: 28 ft 0 in
    Beam: 10 ft 0 in
    LWL: 26 ft 0 in
    Maximum Draft: 2 ft 0 in
    Displacement: 9000 lbs
    Bridge Clearance: 8 ft 0 in

Engines
    Engine Brand: Sea Master
    Engine Model: Ford Interceptor
    Cruising Speed: 26 mph
    Maximum Speed: 34 mph
    Engine Hours: 1200

Dimensions
    Ballast: None

Engines
    Total Power: 170

Tanks
    Fuel: 125 gal. Monel in 3 tanks
    Fresh Water: 5 gal. Monel
    Holding: 5 gal. polypropelene
    Boat History
    "Rip Tide" was designed by her late owner C. N. Heston, a mechanical engineer and native of Jacksonville, Florida. The plans were presented to Mr. Heston's friend and well known boat builder Mabry Edwards, also of Jacksonville, to construct the hull, deck and house. Mabry Edwards Marine Company (aka Memco) began construction on November 21, 1959 at their Imerson Airport facility. M.E. Ellis, Charlie Simmons, Ronnie Lowe and M.D. Brown spent many months turning Mr. Heston's plans into reality. The boat was then moved to Mr. Heston's private shop where he spent many months in the final outfitting of the vessel. On June 18, 1962, "Rip Tide" was christened and launched at Beach Marine in Jacksonville Beach. After almost 10 years of use, the owner decided to take the boat back to the shop and replaced the original single Chrysler 318 engine with a pair of Sea Marine Six Ford engines, which are currently powering the boat. The boat was re-launched in 1972. "Rip Tide" has been kept in Jacksonville since new. She has been used to fish the coastal waters of Northeast Florida with occasional trips to the Keys and the Bahamas. The boat has been continuously maintained and received a polyurethane paint job approximately 5 years ago.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file