Gate Station 12/03 Biggest Red Ever

Hit the beach around 0730. The bite started a little slow but picked up later in the morning. I put a bunch of whiting and a nice size bluefish in the cooler. I even caught a whiting on a finger mullet. That was a first. The catch of the day was on a small piece of shrimp with a clam fish bite and a #2 hook on a drop down rig. The red hit and surfaced as soon as it was hooked. I thought it was a big shark at first. I was lucky there was a guy fishing right down the beach that came down and helped me land the fish and get a good picture for me. The fish was released right after the picture was taken. It was by far the biggest red I've ever caught.

Replies

• jacqueojacqueo Posts: 1,270 Officer
    HOLY COW!!!! That's a beast! Great job and I'm happy you were able to get a photo!!
    Yes, as a matter of fact I DO fish... like a girl. [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • arunramarunram Posts: 1,628 Officer
    That's a nice bull! Congarts!

Arun.
  • subcreepsubcreep Posts: 282 Officer
    That thing is HUGE!!!
    “Still one thing more, fellow citizens–a wise and frugal government, which shall restrain men from injuring one another, which shall leave them otherwise free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned. This is the sum of good government.” Thomas Jefferson 1801
  • samsiam74samsiam74 Posts: 2,215 Officer
    Nice one! That's a good spot, I've met a few forum brothers there...
  • westduvalanglerwestduvalangler Posts: 132 Officer
    I don't fish in salt water much and have yet to catch a red. . . BUT WHEN I DO, I'm going after THAT GUY! Amazing!
  • Sea-SquatchSea-Squatch Posts: 1,320 Officer
    That's a giant!!! Great job
  • SurfKasterSurfKaster Posts: 132 Deckhand
    Think I rolled in next to you later that morning. Nice catch!
  • fjohns67fjohns67 Posts: 359 Officer
    I was the guy with the PVC fishing cart. Was that you to the south of me?
  • BadfishBadfish Posts: 1,067 Officer
    goes to show that big bait doesn't always mean big fish. what a slob!!!! nice fish dude
    What time did you guys leave? I came by for a little while on my way home around 3ish. Didn't stay long bc I had to be home by 4.
    I left at 2:30. I must have just missed you.
  • pilingjunkypilingjunky Posts: 2,044 Officer
    Sweet fish! :beer
    There were only a few people out there. The guy next to me kept pulling in whiting - looked like he had a FF rig. I was lazy and didn't swap out my double drop line - guess laziness did me in. lol There were like 5 guys there when I got there - everyone looked like they were to the south of the walkover. I was curious as to why no one went north - but piled up there. Any insight? I'm guessing a deeper area there by the way the waves were rolling in there was something different about that spot, or so I thought.
  • Morocco_madnessMorocco_madness Posts: 2,705 Captain
    That's a hoss right there. Looks in the neighborhood of 50". Wicked fish...
  • Red SledRed Sled Posts: 83 Greenhorn
    wow:banana
  • mike.robomike.robo Posts: 169 Deckhand
    Good night, that looks like a red submarine! I hope the whiting are still biting this weekend.
  • SurfKasterSurfKaster Posts: 132 Deckhand
    fjohns67 wrote: »
    I was the guy with the PVC fishing cart. Was that you to the south of me?

No I would have been just north of you (guy in black jacket). I fished Vilano earlier that morning then decided to stop by the Gate station to finish off my bait. Had better luck there with whiting. Might go out again tomorrow.
  • kajokajo Posts: 4,619 Moderator
    Lol they always hit the wrong rig!! Great job getting her in
    julington creek carpet care

www.jccarpetcare.com
  • Slug-OSlug-O Posts: 3,015 Officer
    Ha, and that was me that said hello and walked north till myself and my buddy got to the first house. Caught some great whiting in the first trough.
    AA2DAEFD-BA78-469C-845A-A33575F1B6DF-8919-0000071D17E155E5.jpg
    USCG Licensed and Insured Charter Capt. PRIME TIME CHARTERS 904-591-8906 ICW and Back Waters fishing. Palmvalleycharters.com
    Slug-O I knew it was you. I ended up with 25 or so whiting as well. They wre not as big as last week but they will eat well!!
  • Slug-OSlug-O Posts: 3,015 Officer
    Well my fishing is over I think for about two weeks as I have captains class this week and the next. Great seeing everyone today.
    USCG Licensed and Insured Charter Capt. PRIME TIME CHARTERS 904-591-8906 ICW and Back Waters fishing. Palmvalleycharters.com
  • NoelNoel Posts: 45 Deckhand
    Great fish! My next time out I'll be soaking a whiting half again. That's what this one ate.
  • SpaldSpald Posts: 19 Greenhorn
    Nice bull.
  • redbone440redbone440 Posts: 72 Deckhand
    Wow! That is one big bull red in the surf. Bet you'll remember that fight for a long, long time! Great job and thanks for sharing.
  • I FA DATI FA DAT Posts: 553 Officer
    WOW! That Whiting is bigger than the one caught on the dock by the Dames point!:willynilly
  • JizzoJizzo Posts: 1,356 Officer
    That is a stud redfish... on a #2 hook? I'd have broken it off for sure! Skillz.
    -Jon
    The hook did bend but it held. Had I not had help from the guy down the beach the hook would had pulled for sure. I don't think I could have pulled him out of the break. I think it was more luck than skill.:wink

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file