Tripletail hunting

Headed out this morning with a good buddy of mine for tripletail. With the livewell full of shrimp, we headed out off the lighthouse offshore to find a nice string of crab pots. In about 25-30 feet of water we found a nice string and followed it all the way to redfish pass. During the run we wound up seeing a trip around every 5 to 6 pots down. Most of the ones we caught were small...around 10-12 inches, but managed 2 keepers, a 15 inch and a 23 inch. We wound up catching around 7 or 8 total. It was a great day, the seas were calm and the sun was out! I hope this weather sticks around a little while longer so I can head out for them again this week because they are definately out there...I have never seen that many in one day!!

Replies

• SwampsquashSwampsquash Posts: 164 Officer
    Nice....I am getting out tomorrow for some tripletail action
  • PONCEPONCE Posts: 5,943 Officer
    Looks like you guys caught some nice Trips and had a good day on the water party0007.gif
  • KNOTonDUTYKNOTonDUTY Posts: 13 Greenhorn
    Nice work man. Hope the weather and the fish stick around.
  • Snook SpankerSnook Spanker Posts: 1,690 Captain
    I gotta get down Yer way Gumba so you can learn me how to catch some of those funny lookin Feesh!!!
    I am'z what I am'z and that'z all that I am'z!! > Popeye!
  • larrywittlarrywitt Posts: 2,428 Moderator
    Thanks for your report..Hope this weather holds for the rest of the week..
    larrywitt
  • chadperrowchadperrow Posts: 25 Greenhorn
    My buddy has been seeing sime decent sized ones off Gordon's Pass in Naples, I guess its tripletail time!
    Chad Perrow
    Shimano/GLoomis Representative- South Florida
  • FurFinsFeathersFurFinsFeathers Posts: 45 Deckhand
    Where are tripletails found this time of year and how do you fish for them?
  • InshoreSlamInshoreSlam Posts: 111 Officer
    Sorry it took me so long...I have been finding them off sanibel, using live shrimp freelined around the crab pots
  • BeastieBeastie Bokeelia, FLPosts: 861 Officer
    Sorry it took me so long...I have been finding them off sanibel, using live shrimp freelined around the crab pots

No weight/splitshot at all?
  • InshoreSlamInshoreSlam Posts: 111 Officer
    Nope, free lined and let it drift right in front of them!
  • Reeltight79Reeltight79 Posts: 70 Deckhand
    Very nice!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file